Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 61 Chevy Apache ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Herr Otto, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Herr Otto

Herr Otto

Hello I own a 61 Chevy Apache step side short bed pick up truck and have some things I would like to improve on the truck and would like your feedback on them. The truck is pretty much original, 235 CID 6 cyl , 3 spd moved to the floor, drum brakes all the way around and original suspension. I would like to eventually add disc front brakes, drop in an 8 cylinder and an automatic. Would it be easier and cheaper for me to just go with a different frame already with an 8cyl, front disc and automatic or try to work with the original truck? If you suggest a different frame, which one( what would fit best)? I am not looking to make this a race truck just a little more get up and go.
    Thank you

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No frame swap. No frame swap is ever easy, unless you are doing an exact model swap, and even then, it is a lot of work.

A V8 is a bolt in, with the right mounts.

Disc kits are a snap.

sko_ford and Bubba1955 like this.
  3. NWGreaser

NWGreaser

Gimpyshotrods is right. I've had a few of these trucks and there is no reason to do a frame swap. V8 is a bolt in. And there are plenty of disc conversions out there for cheap. Check out the Truck and Car shop. Good parts and fast shipping. The only draw back to disc conversion is you might need to change wheels.

4. Get the entire front crossmember from a 73 up truck and bolt it to your frame. You get disk brakes and get away from torsion bars and roller wheel bearings. you will have to drill two 3/8 holes for the idler arm. There is a thread on the C10 trucks . com forums with pictures of the conversion. To swap in a V8 get the frame mounts from a 63 thru 66 truck.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    Bubba1955 and Speedys Garage like this.

5. Herr Otto

Herr Otto

Old Wolf, would you happen to know the name of that thread? I put in the search box "73 front crossmeber conversion" and it does not show up.
    Thanks

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No thread required, just wrenches, and a drill.

You can even get 6-lug rotors, to match the rear.

7. slammed

slammed

You go out and look at where the OG crossmember bolts to your frame. The '73 is the same. You may/will need to clearance (gimpy above^^ drill) a hole or two to make the newer model line up. It is easy to do.

9. Herr Otto

Herr Otto

I found a site that sells a complete disc brake conversion kit using my original spindles. The kit includes a power booster and a dual chamber master cylinder. My question is, currently I still have the original manual 3 speed trans which has a hydraulic slave valve which is attached to the master cylinder. I eventually want to put in an automatic but until then, how would I hook up the old slave valve to the new master cylinder or can I just add a reservoir to it?
    In addition, will any chevy automatic trans hook up to the 235cid engine? Will any chevy flex plate hook up to the 235cid? Will I also need a different starter?
    Thank you

11. Herr Otto

Herr Otto

Old Wolf, I did as you suggested. Auto zone's price for a lower ball joint is $185. WOW, I had no idea. Would that be the case even if I were to change to new drop spindles using that same suspension?

12. Herr Otto

Herr Otto

Old Wolf, in an early post you suggested swapping out a 1973 and up cross member. Those trucks are hard to find around here. What year could I go up to, and still have it fit the 1961?

13. Herr Otto

Herr Otto

Would the front cross member from an astro van work?

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1973-1987.

No, totally different frame.

15. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I'm working on my 62 c10 now, which for all intensive purposes is the same as a 60... Im using CPP front disk brake spindles, they're just a few hundred bucks and work with all the 73-87 disc brake parts. Found a 78 4x4 and stole all the front brake parts off for $100, rebuilt calipers and rebuilt...
    Much easier than front swap... Just make sure you get 60-62 spindles. Gm went to coil springs in 63.

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you install the 73 front end it will have a bet of a smoother ride with the rubber control arm bushings over the stock ones.

17. Herr Otto

Herr Otto

Summershow, so that means you are still using the torsion bar suspension and all its components?

18. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Yes I am... I see nothing wrong with them. Gm has went back and forth from coils to torsion bars...
    I plan on updating all existing rubber and since they're 54 years old I would say they need to be replaced...

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those interested, the later-model suspension swap is REALLY easy.

Depending on the donor, very cheap, too.

20. Herr Otto

Herr Otto

gimpyshotrods, to do the swap, do you have to pull the engine? I would guess you would have to, because I think if you were to hang it from an engine hoist, the legs of the hoist would be in your way of swapping out the cross member/ suspension. Are the motor mounts that are on the cross member welded, riveted or bolted? The reason I ask is, a donor I am looking at has a V8 and currently I have the original 235 cid in my truck.

21. I have 62 Chevy C10 and did spindles and brakes from CPP 10 years ago.

The cross member swap is better from most aspects (cost of ball joints and availability) except for maybe one thing. On a 60 - 62 frame the back half is 42" wide, while 63-66 is 36". Maybe the front half is same on all 60-66 but be aware in case it is wider.

Tony

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The engine mounts on the frame of the donor are bolted on.

You'd probably have to pull the engine.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Worth checking in to.

24. front suspensions up to 86 will virtually bolt in a 61. The front frame with is the same. you don't need to pull engine. just run a chain under the front mount and across to the frame rails. you will have to weld the 235,s front engine mount to the newer crossmember. Unless your engine has the bosses for side mounts.

25. I sell the entire 73 up front crossmember and all the brakes ect. for a hundred dollar bill. Im about 500 miles from Chicago. Gas isn't too high at present drive down here and Buy one. My son and I bought lots of running & driving square cab trucks and junked them. We mostly wanted the V 8 engines. When your here you can get a 63 thru 66 mechanical clutch linkage to do away with the one off 60 thru 62 side by side master cyl. T
    he only ball joint that works with the torsion bar front end is the high dollar one.

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Old wolf, where are you guys buying ball joints? $53 here...

27. Porter Bilt makes a lot of nice things for these trucks.

28. Herr Otto

Herr Otto

Summershow where can you purchase the lower ball joint for a 1961 C10 for $53? I looked it up at Autozone and it is $185, Oreilly autoparts $253 and $248 at Advance auto parts.

29. slammed

slammed

30. slammed

slammed

Otto, if you are NOT going to upgrade this truck w/a '73-up c10 crossmember, count on parts being much higher. Acknowledge please.