Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '49 Business under construction...paint ideas?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Channel49, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Channel49

Channel49

I just bought this beautiful '49 Business coupe and it comes to me in primer gray. I have a friend that is going to paint it for me so now I am stuck with a color dilemna. At first I was thinking of a satin red...but then I thought about satin Titanium...then flat or satin gunmetal. Why satin or flat? I really like the shine (or lack thereof) of a nicely satin'd ride! So me being new to the Kustom scene I am asking others whom have been around for a while what their choice would be in this matter. Ultimately it is my choice but because its so hard to find some examples of these colors on shoeboxes, I am reaching out to you! Unless of course you have another idea? 7420915554_d3ac308bba_b.jpg DSCF2569.JPG

2. Fender1325

Fender1325

Im with you 100% on the satin or matte finish. Will look cool. How about a solid dark navy blue?

3. Nice coupe. The grille opening looks like it's a little odd, might just be the angle. Could use a floating grille bar or something maybe. It's also a big dark hole on a light background, so a dark colour would help downplay it. I'm thinkin oxblood, not too flat.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I agree about the grille opening.

Here's a flat blue.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453206212.216701.jpg

5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Can't help you with the color....but most anything will look great on that car.. Really sharp..
    However, if it were mine, it would be satin in either black, reddish brown, or medium blue !!

6. Channel49

Channel49

I really like that blue! My last two cars were blue (1970 Dodge Dart Swinger and a 2003 350Z) so looking for something a bit different. plus I've had about 5 other blue cars in the past.

The picture I posted was pre-grille. Lol. It has since had a '57 Chevy grille been installed and looks a lot better now!

7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

It looks better on your avatar.Got any pics with the grille installed?

Channel49 likes this.
  8. belair

belair

I like BLACK. With turquoise wheels.

9. Oxblood or deep maroon would look killer on this car!!!

Channel49 likes this.
  10. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

ain't nothin quite as cool as a genuine blue suede 'shoe

11. Channel49

Channel49

Looking at some deep, cherry reds, oxblood etc....So far, I LIKE!
    Here's a recent pic of the grille 20160109_154220_resized.jpg

12. I dig it, makes me wish I still had my chopped 51 shoe

13. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

I've seen that advertised on and off for a while. Will it be staying in the Vancouver area?
    It's a good looking shoe for sure. A dark red would definitely suit it, as would a copper. Or blue. Not much help really, but I'm looking forward to seeing it in color whatever you choose.

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

It sure looks better with the grille!
    An another vote for the copper from here.

15. Slopok

Slopok

Gloss Black with Flames, timeless, but what do I know.:)

B Bay Barn likes this.
  16. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

17. Channel49

Channel49

Yes Tony, it'll be staying in Vancouver (New West actually) so you'll be seeing it at local shows and such. If you see it and I'm around, come and say hi! My name is Mike.

I think I'm going to do it up in a satin dark red color. Super excited to get this car going!

18. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

I'll look out for it (and you). Just curious - what are your plans for the bow tie space in that '57 grille..?

19. Channel49

Channel49

No idea Tony! Just getting started on this project. I am open to ideas though!

20. Was that the Beale Custom car? Been watching it in the classifieds for about 3 years, good it has a home. Cars like that need a dignified color, satin dark red (or maroon) would be good, some pin striping maybe.

21. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Channel49 likes this.
  22. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a great car in any color I'll be watching for you in Coquitlam

23. Channel49

Channel49

Yes it sure is. I remember seeing his ad when I bought my last car nearly two years ago. Turns out, I went to highschool with the guy! He was two grades older but I remember we were the only two guys that had cool musclecars in our school. His was a '68 Barracuda fastback and mine was a 1970 GTO.

Now Beale Kustoms is churning out some really cool rods and kustoms traditional style. I have a feeling I'm going to be hanging out at his shop whether he likes it or not. Hehe...

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool ride - need more pics & details - J.A. Miller made a good suggestion - also, check out the shoebox Ford social group here too.

Channel49 likes this.
  25. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Love that grill, and the car too. My 2cts would be root beer satin color. Looking forward to seeing whatever color you choose.
    Dino

Channel49 likes this.
  26. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great with the grill in ,previous open version looked like it had sucked a lemon.
    Any colour but please exclude satin black,it's way overdone and does nothing to enhance a custom.

27. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Looks like a cool ride. Could use a floater in the grille opening to finish it off.

As for color I have been obesessing lately over "Verde Chiaro" this current Fiat color:
    [​IMG]

Kinda a dusty jade green. I think would look great as a suede

28. indyjps

indyjps

This car was posted on the HAMB, not sure if the owner is on here. This is one of the satin paint jobs that I like over shiny

You don't have to do blue, but it looks like pearl base with satin clear to me, talk it over with your painter, satin clear can be tricky, no cut and buff, it's gotta lay down right with no tiger stripe.

Found the thread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-color-is-this-blue-paint-job.717577/

Attached Files:

29. Channel49

Channel49

Here ya go!

20160109_154130_resized.jpg

20160109_154124_resized.jpg
    20160109_154155_resized.jpg

20160109_154234_resized.jpg
    That's it so far. I will have a lot more details and pictures coming soon enough. I have about 50+ build pics that I may post up. I will have to ask Mr. Beale if its ok. :)

Nice to see the Canadian/euro spelling of colour. LOL. Satin black will not do. It is way overdone and I don't have enough tattoos to rock that style. Haha!

30. slowmotion

slowmotion

I really don't think there's a 'wrong color/colour' for that car. It's just one of those few that'll look good, no matter what hue. But for that BAM! effect, I'm always a whore for the deep glassy maroons. Don't judge me...:D

Channel49 likes this.