Register now to get rid of these ads!

frenching lake pipes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by inline 666er, Aug 7, 2005.

1. inline 666er

inline 666er
    from ogden utah

hey there...does anybody have any tips on frenching lake pipes. Although... I would rather not have the word "french" associated with my car. its planned to be a tail dragger, but its tail isnt between its legs.;)
    thanks,

2. Wazza matter? Dont ya like froggies? :p

3. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

most ppl i know use truck exhaust pipe (i believe, because of its diameter) and cut it, weld it to the rocker. but i have never done it myself so who knows...

4. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

do a search on this site for the topic.it's been covered before
    creepy

5. hey man,

post us a pic of the ride? depending on the look/era of the car, sometimes i think that frenched pipes dont sit well... just my $0.02 worth.

Danny

6. I recently saw a "Boycott France" sticker on a Nissan - some people just don't get it (Nissan has been French owned for years).

As for Frenched lakes pipes, I'm thinking no Bondo® or lead filler, just real damn good body work.

Unless they're going to be Fake Lake© lakes pipes. :D

Cosmo

7. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

The french thought the iraq war was based on lies . . and didn't want to see thier soldiers and a bunch of civilains in iraq die so halliburton could steal money and unocal could steal oil. . . . .

. . . what idiots!

i'm gonna go eat some freedom fries

. . . .and freedom my tailights and headlights now

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Most lakers are 2" pipes. You can use a 2 1/2" pipe, or 3" to weld to the rocker panels. To finish it off, up front, buy a mandel bent 90* elbow, and cut and trim it to blend into the bottom of the front fender. Or, use sheet metal to decrease the diameter, and swoop it up into the wheelwell lip. Looks good on late 50's, early 60's style customs. I went a step farther on my 55 Olds, and cut a piece of 2 1/2" pipe in half length-wise, and welded it into the rocker, so the pipe was sunken halfway into it. There's lots of ways to do it.

9. Any pix of how it turned out?

10. mikes51

mikes51

Pretty nice. Flows right into the lip on the wheel well.

11. inline 666er

inline 666er
    from ogden utah

wow....thats one hell of a french job. that looks great...

12. I saw this on another post, I remember somebody asking about seeing frenched pipes

Attached Files:

13. Dutchoven

Dutchoven
    from Reno, NV.

Hey Abe, good loking photos, but could you post them bigger, the thumbs wouldn't open for me.

Blake

14. 8flat

8flat

Please tell me you don't believe that we started disliking the French that recently.....

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here's my bro's '54 Caddy...used three inch pipe, welded it to the fender, slipped the Lakes inside it...
    R-

[​IMG]

16. Here is my "molded" lakes pipes. 2-1/2" pipe welded to the rockers and put sheetmetal on the bottom up to the drain slots to finish the look instead of an add on

Attached Files:

17. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

here is my 41 with the pipes and without

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Damn that is one ugly 57 Chevy, but the lake pipes look killer!

Just kidding Mark, I know its not a 57 Chevy!

Some people end up slicing the lake pipe so it will slide right in and out rather than using the whole thing including the right angle. The "pod" ends up covering where the pipe should be and it makes paint a hell of a lot easier.

19. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

How strange!
    I have another car now with the same Kustom treatment!
    Here's my "Rambler".
    Actually, my old boss used to use that technique on many custom cars. I learned it from him! He started customizing this car back int he early 80's, never finished it. My buddy bought it, gave it to me, and I finished it.

Attached Files:

20. cmarcus

cmarcus

When you slide the lake pipe into the molded portion, what is the best method for securing, and keeping from rattling?

21. I did mine a bit different and bolted them on. Reason? Kept maintenance in mind as a drive this car alot and in case of a fender bender i have the option of unbolting the fender etc. Just a slightly modified pipe from the store and bolted under neath to hide the brackets. 50 ford 560 (Large).jpg

Attached Files:

hotrod54chevy likes this.
  22. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Tedley, where'd ya get the rippled pipe?