Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Long time rodder, first time caller....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ed Rios, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Ed Rios

Ed Rios

hello. I've been into cars and bike for a long time. Not so computer savvy, I always come in and out of the hamb but never interested in creating a account. So here's what brings me to finally start an account. I just recently purchased a 35 3 window Ford coupe. I bought it up north where it was parked at a barn in a shipping container. It sat since probably the 90s. I was told by the owners son that it was built here in the states in 35 and shortly shipped out of the country without the firewall and the steering installed because it's a right-hand drive ford now. It came back to the states in the 90s and parked in the storage container until last week when I purchased it. I want to do a custom but it's a right-hand drive I know I can convert over. What's your guys opinion ? Need a little help deciding what to do. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  2. Personally, I'd be tempted to leave it RHD due to how unique it is. I would just try to find some paperwork or history about cars like its setup to back it up.

3. Welcome.Where are you located?I"d keep the RHD,cool.

4. Welcome,,, as for the steering,, just get the "right" parts and you got a "lefty"
    What more bits did you get?
    It will be a project, looks like it's pretty solid.

5. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

I would keep it right hand drive......but I live in uk.......how the hell did you find it......nice nice nice

6. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Oh yeah...that 'right hand drive' is a totally cool conversation piece!....I like the car. It's a cool project, and looks like you scored a fine piece of machinery:D---Ray

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB! I'd keep it RHD if I was lucky enough to find a nice solid 3Window like that. Bob

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool project - keep right hand drive if you plan to sell it to someone where that is required. otherwise switch it over to left. be much easier to drive, and better if you ever decide to sell it. as asked, how did you find it?

deadbeat likes this.
  9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am afraid I am in the majority here. Leave it RHD, the way it Born/Adopted...LOL! Nice Score!

10. It is cool! :cool:Just do something with it. :rolleyes: Welcome to the HAMB

11. You will find it easier to run exhaust and steering, pedals and brakes if you make it LHD.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  12. Let me start by saying, "Neat Car". If it was mine I would change it to LHD as I would be more comfortable driving it that way. Where in general do you live, a RHD car might be more appropriate for you? A general location might result in your getting better answers. From the patina I would assume that your car still has the mechanical brakes. I see 4 shiny black rims next to the car which I assume you are going to install. Just a bit of trivia, if you put solid wheels on a brake drum designed for mechanical brakes you need to use a spacer or remove the humps on the drum to get the rim to fit correctly. The rim will bolt on but not seat completely. When you tighten the lug nuts you will stress the rim and eventually end up with a cracked rim or in the worst case the rim coming off of the car. I made a post on this topic oriented towards wire wheels being used with hydraulic brake drums but if you read between the lines and look at the pictures you will see what I am talking about: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/40-ford-wheels-on-a-model-a.750368/#post-8330045

A final thought. Be sure you get the paperwork (title) cleaned up before you do anything.

Charlie Stephens

timwhit likes this.
  13. Cool rod, I have driven RHD and don't see any difference, Be fun to put a dummy a sleep at da wheel on the left . ha ha Then maybe not . But you asked so I think it's cool like it is . Just wanted to say WELLCOME TO DA HAMB

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  14. Welcome to the HAMB!
    Great looking car there. If it were mine, I'd go LHD, juice brakes and drive it. Keep us posted as you go along.
    Either way, it's a keeper.................

15. brady1929

brady1929

16. Ed Rios

Ed Rios

Thanks for the input guys. Got a lot to think about. Got some parts to make to conversion to LHD and need to decide if I'm keeping it traditional stock but lowered or do the jump to independent and begged. I just got back on the hamb right now looking at the comments,,, I live in Los Angeles and the car has juice brakes already. I'll get more info regarding the brakes, and I'll check out the link about wire wheels vs steel rims. changing the rear end and getting a drop axle first would be my decision I think. Thanks guys.

17. oj

oj

Nonono on the 'independent and bagged', you've got the car of a lifetime right there, keep it honest.

slv63 and Old-Soul like this.
  18. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I'm with this guy. Too nice of a car, and far too rare, to be acting that way. Keep it on the straight and narrow and you'll fall in love with early Ford parts.

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

South American import at some time as up until WWII countries were RHD from Canada, after WWII they went LHD. Looks to be a great body to begin with, so much easier with less work when you start with a decent car.

20. What's wrong with the rear end that is in it? Since you are in Los Angeles the best person for brakes is
    Richard Lacy at [email protected] (mail), earlyv8garage.net (web site). Alan Mest, (310) 532-8657, is excellent for mechanical work and has a large supply of parts. I like Harry Vellios, 643-8540 for machine work. Be sure to plan on attending "The Big Three" swap meet in February in San Diego. Best of luck and forget the independent and bagged.

Charlie Stephens

21. \'36 all done 007.JPG Just an idea, that car would make a great looking early style custom.

slv63 likes this.
  22. Wow, cool to see, and welcome!

I am just 20 years old, so stop me if I am wrong.

Build it the way you want it. It probably wasn't finished a rhd because of unforeseen issues. If you want that type of unique tho, more power to you.
    As for bags and technology like that, again, it is your car. If it will get you down the road and keep you in the driver seat longer than a leaf sprung ride, who cares? No one is lying down at the car shows and dissing a suspension setup. Will be a lot of fab work though.

I love the style of a 35 rod, and I hope the best to you. It was the first year for me in which I would keep the fenders on. Wicked custom...

23. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

WOW!! Lucky find...

24. trollst

trollst

Welcome, you'll either hate this forum or you'll love it, I'm going with the latter. Build the car the way you like, none of us are paying for it.

25. Jim I.

Jim I.

Good looking three window. Looks like a nice solid body to start with.

26. Change it out/back, first time you drink a couple of beers, you'll be dead meat. Always love the 35's, welcome to the HAMB.