Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Finn

Excellent video :)

Might have been better to use Blue Locktite.

Red requires heat to remove. :oops:

Norb

2. Smoothy

Smoothy

What exactly do you mean by bagged out? I've already had the shifter apart and back together, problem is I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for in signs of wear.
    Trans is a Muncie M20, it's also not in the car. I was able to take the shifter off the trans and hot tank it yesterday.
    Where exactly is this detent you speak of? I also haven't pulled the springs put to check them yet, seems like a pretty big possibility

3. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Sorry Smoothy

What I meant by bagged out is worn pockets on pin, or not having worn egg shape holes where the
    pin enters the plates.

Finn posted an really good video (maybe while you were writing this) that should answer your question.

But I really think the the trans needs to be turning to throw a power shift.

Norb

Smoothy likes this.
  4. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

HOLY SMOKES IS THAT GONNA' BE WICKED!!!!

5. Smoothy

Smoothy

After watching this video, I believe my springs are the issue. My plunger doesn't want to return upon pushing it over into the 1-2 position. I'll just try and take the plunger out, clean it, and oil the spring.

powrshftr likes this.
  6. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Found this on another thread thought it was kool

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453005912.446098.jpg

Dog_Patch, Smoothy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  7. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

I think it's cool too! :D Ric and I both almost passed out the first time we saw this pic! Rod Jones, younger brother of Dick Jones, who is the "Jones" on the car, told us he thought he had a color version of this pic somewhere. Needless to say, we'd both love to see it, but he hasn't been able to locate it just yet.

IMG_4243.jpg
    I edited this post to add the pic of YC since I couldn't do it from my phone last night! :mad: Very similar cars and pics when you look at them side-by-side!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    Dog_Patch likes this.
  8. This car is the reason we have Yesterdays Child. We thought we'd finally found this car, but, she's a kiss'n cousin, not the PC & J car.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    Dog_Patch likes this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

Smoothy IF you have to take your shifter apart looking for wear or just cleaning up BEWARE the flat "springs" inside are SHARP AS A RAZOR (or they were 40+ years ago.). I still have the scar 40+ years later where I was holding the housing and sliding out the "Guts" and that one flat spring dragged along my finger. It was so sharp I didn't even know I was cut until I noticed copious amounts of my blood dripping onto the floor. Cost me one more trip to the hospital (I went so many times the nurses called me by name LOL) and five stitches in my finger.

Dog_Patch and Smoothy like this.
  10. Smoothy

Smoothy

Hey man, chicks dig scars. Anyways I took the thing all back apart again and removed one of the dust plates that was a little rusty in the body that houses the springs and it now acts brand new. I'll find out Monday if that solves the problem.

Tickety Boo and 55belairx2 like this.
  11. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Quick update for everyone...registration #467 went out today...we have a growing list of projects that aren't included in that and some Meltdown guys that we haven't added in yet...

My guess is that we are going to be starting a waiting list sometime in late Jan or early Feb....pretty crazy!

Dog_Patch, Saxxon, Smoothy and 2 others like this.
  12. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

If I didn't know any better, I'd say folks are diggin' this event and the word is getting out...;)

Dog_Patch, loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  13. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Can'tcha see the resemblance???

IMG_4243.jpg

14. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Norb, thanks -- I agree. And using Locktite with a lock nut seems overkill, certainly Red Locktite.

There are probably other suitable locations, but the only place that I've only ever used Red Locktite is on the attachment bolts, flywheel to crankshaft. But with the clutch removed, there is plenty of access to get to the heads of the bolts with a torch.

loudbang, Tickety Boo and powrshftr like this.
  15. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Made some progress on the new bed for the Willys it's all tacked together now just gotta get it welded up and some primer

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453086094.539178.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453086107.806487.jpg

Saxxon, 9sectruck, saltflats and 6 others like this.
  16. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

In an effort to help the MDA guys out, Ric and I have been trying to come up with a really cool giveaway item, and after much thought and deliberation, we think we've come up with the perfect trinket! As it happens, it was right there in front of us, or, well, behind us and in front of everyone else all the time...

FOT4720.jpg
    It's a universal hood ornament that would look right at home on the hood of any car...Ford, Mopar, Willys, even another tri-five! We couldn't think of a more fitting piece of memorabilia to remind racers of their experience at the Meltdown Drags! :D

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Can you go ahead and send mine now.
    I have a swap meet coming up next month.

18. PS. A few select attendees, such as Jeff Koopenflingdinger, and as of now, SALTY!, will get a special edition hood ornament.., with a working brake light. ;)

55belairx2, Tickety Boo and saltflats like this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Can I get mine with the left blinker working?

20. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

You mean ( Mustang front left turn blinking )

loudbang and 55belairx2 like this.
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Dose this mean wait for me?

22. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Flashing Yellow = Slow Moving Vehicle :D

saltflats likes this.
  23. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Hey don't make it too pretty, it'll lose it's character!;)

30dodgeboy and 55belairx2 like this.
  24. We only have one of those, and we're reserving it for "Crazy Ivan" aka "The Laneshore Changer". By the way, I figured out Scotts strategy on that. If he is in the right lane, and is in front of you, he puts on the left signal, and if he's in the left lane, the right signal, that way if your chasing him down, you'll think he's gonna do a Crazy Ivan on you, and you'll slow down, assuring he gets to the stripe first. He got screwed up on which directional when he was racing Poon Docket, because he was looking in the rear view in disbelief of the severe beating he was administering, and lost his concentration. Hmmm..., wonder if the same thing happens when he's racing Jeff?

25. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

These will be handed out AT the event! No pre-orders! Sad to think someone would just sell such a cool and unique piece of memorabilia and not cherish it for the rest of their lives...unless...UNLESS...are you gonna try to find a match for it at the swap meet Salt Lick and build a '56 from the taillights forward??? Are ya??? Are ya???

powrshftr likes this.
  26. powrshftr

powrshftr

James and Norb:

This means war.....

27. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Maybe he got crossed up racing Goon Locket cuz he's not out in front very often and doesn't get much practice with the directionals and Crazy Ivans??? Plus, when you're looking in the rear view mirror, everything's reversed.

Tickety Boo likes this.
  28. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Sorry Scott! My smack talkin' rainbird is stuck on and spraying in all directions!

29. Aah Dang! Now you stirred the oat barrel up good Marc! Angry Mustang.jpg

Tickety Boo and 55belairx2 like this.
  30. .., hey Maximus, er, uh, Scott, make sure you rain bird your venom in Marc's directional, uh, blinker, um way, would ya. I had nuth'n to do with this mutinizing.

55belairx2 likes this.