Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Planning 52 Buick Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KustomKreeps, Jan 15, 2016.

1. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

So I have a 1952 4dr Buick Special.
    Engine purrs away nice and smooth.The three on the tree shifts fine. straight pipes/no muffler yet still isn't that loud :/
    Suspension is a bit floaty after all these years but other than that its in great shape.

So what do you do when things are going so well?
    You start to planning to rip out everything and throw a V8 in there! talking engine, trans, drive shaft, rear & front ends etc

So im here to get some feedback, ideas and opinions.

I do alot of highway driving. 75% of my driving is open roads. and I normally do around 2000km's(1250miles) a month in the buick alone (more now its summer here).

Currently im looking at doing the below:

Engine:
    401 Buick Nailhead. - hard to come by in New Zealand so im looking at importing one from the states. Currently chatting to Rus Marten about getting him to build one for me (65 GS). DualQuadDave here on HAMB also seems to build a nice engine.
    Looking at 2x4 intake with twin 600cfm Edelbrock 1406 carbs.

Trans:
    Missus sits int he middle so dont want anything on the floor & must stay on the column.
    Would of loved to stay manual but im told putting a 5 or 6 speed on the tree would be a heck of a job so im going auto.
    Want a OD unit since im on the highways. tell the truth im a tad lost as to what to use.
    Was originally thinking 4L80E or 6L80E but Bob at Bendtsen adapters was saying a 700R4 maybe better & cheaper since no computers & has decent ratios. then use stock torque converter.
    700R4 able to handle the torque?
    If anyone has done this before any ideas would be great. I dont really want to cut up the floor of the car to fit it under but guessing this may happen.

Front End:
    Thinking Jag XJ12 or XJS IFS. The jags weight is about the same as a Buick's. 52 shop manual says the special is lil over 59" jag is about 61" i think. This going to effect much?
    Jag also comes with decent disk breaks whats a bonus. The Buick is left hand drive whilst most Jags here are RHD so will need change it up a little but seems pretty straight forward.
    Also had thought a new Mustang2 setup. but its bleeping expensive & old Buicks are much heavier cars.

Rare End:
    Thinking Jas XJ12/XJS IRS. they are locking and Dana design. ratios of 3.31 for the XJ12 and 2.88, 3.07 & 3.54 for the XJS. Again comes with decent disk breaks.
    Would a Jag rear handle the torque of the 401?
    or go for 9" with Holden 4bar? more expensive option. Rather spend the cash on the engine & trans.
    Zman here on HAMB runs a 425 with jag rear and says its goes fine.
    I currently use Coker P235/75R15 tires. on old Buick 5x5 bolt wheels with original hubs. Would need go jag/chevy pattern to use original hub caps & white walls.
    So in theory if i went XJ12 3.31:1 dif with the 700R4 trans i would be looking at 1830rpm @65mph

I would like to go airbags but will have to wait to see how the funds look.

If i can get a Jag donor car I will be able to strip out other things like wiper system, break system components etc.

Would like to go power steering but its no biggie. Not sure there will be enough room yet. Im told I may have clearance issues with the steering box when putting in a 401.
    Guessing will have to get new radiator as well.

Alot of holdens & fords here in NZ - any easy(lol easy...) swaps for bits I may be after?

And after all this I will start thinking of chops & body mods.

Car how it was in the States:
    [​IMG]

And how it currently looks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Has a new custom/personalized number plat now " KREEPS "

So any ideas, considerations or anything for the heart transplant please let me know.
    If something wont fit or if something would be better let me know.

I want to start this over the colder months (summer here currently). So times approaching to start gathering the parts and surface shipping what ever I cant source nationally from the states like the engine.

hey thanks
    Alex

DirtyNapkin, BradinNC and kiwijeff like this.
  2. Welcome to the Hamb Alex, that's a neat car.
    Wish I could give you some help with your questions, I can't, but you seem to be on the right track.

3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Ditto. looking forward to see the next step in the Buick's journey

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks good - plan sounds good

5. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I think the car is perfect as is and you are creating a money pit with all the changes. That said, maybe you can afford the expenses. With great power comes the great responsibility of trying to stop that very heavy car. Right now the car looks good, sounds good, takes you where you want to go in style. I say leave it and drive it.

I would like to see the balance sheet of how much all these changes would cost if you do go through with it.

Good luck with your decisions.

6. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Oh ye it ain't going to be cheap.

The old drum breaks that are currently on it have been totally gone over and still suck. If I do go Jag then I get big ventilated disk breaks all around made to stop a car of about the same weight running a V12.

Originally I was going to chop it, change up the rear end etc.
    But the suspension, anchors and acceleration suck.
    Looked about for performance I8 parts but ain't many out there.

I personally prefer V8s and like the look of a dressed nailhead. Getting a nailhead will cost over twice the price of a BBC but ye what can I say....

Plan to keep the car for many years and do many miles.

Alex

7. Slopok

Slopok

I can't help you with all your mechanical questions, but you certainly have got the exterior modifications down pat if I do say so myself. If you outline the flames in white pinstripe they will really pop. Nice job so far.

8. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

hey thanks for the pinstripe tip. Looks like you have a sweet ride.
    Once I have the mechanical sorted I hope to move back on to the body.
    Small chop of say 2.5 - 3 inch front and what ever looks good rear. Lay the rear window a bit. try to match the swoop of the side chrome a bit. four door so will be interesting.
    then change up the rear a bit with either 56 buick lights or 57 Packard or 66 Caddy.
    Dont plan to do that for a few years so I have time to really think it over more.

At the moment I just need to get the mechanical plans sorted.
    NZ has ridged certification to get through before it will be aloud on the roads once done so really want to make sure what I plan to use will do the job.
    Still need help with trans and rear advice.

Alex

9. mitchchisholm13

mitchchisholm13
    from Queenstown

I've got a th7oo for mine. You can make them stronger. But there's also wBought of them around to blow up ha. Even the 4l60s with the computer can be good. Being able to set where your gears change etc. there's computers on eBay for them at not a bad price. The chev adapter for the nail head suits all chev stuff up to ls engines. I've got 9" in the rear with 2.72 gears it'll idle along at 100 clicks

10. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

My bird saw a Rambler with laydown front seat to make a bed.
    ^.- "yes dear I recon I can figure something out"

Got to love a woman like that.

11. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Looks like you have a good start and a great direction. I rebuilt my master cylinder and drums. They stop killer. So idk what's going on with yours.
    Of course I like the 56 57 Packard tail lights idea. The cars look so sweet when the tail section is lengthened a little bit.
    Chopping a 4 door is a lot harder and I've never done one so I can't help you on that. I chopped a 4 door olds but I got 2 door doors and converted it to a 2 door. But that was a lot of work and I will never do that again.
    Keep it up. It's going to be a sweet car.
    Subscribed.

12. LONG

LONG

just by reading what other guys are doing with these torque tube frames. I would do a body swap. many good threads on here both using the frame and swapping. I plan on using my g body frame. but I'll keep the straight 8 then bendstens/ 200r4. its your money but thats a lot of work for a 4 door. you'll also have to cut the frame to run dual exhaust out the right side. then box it if you're going have a torquey engine. i've been too lazy to finish anything on mine. I just drive it. once I pop on a 2door then I'll do it right. car looks great. wish mine was a 3 speed.