Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 buick roadmaster exhaust manifold problem

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Daylon, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Daylon

Daylon

My 55 roadmaster on the driver side the exhaust manifold bolt holes won't line up right to bolt on. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Did the manifold come off the motor? Try bolting it on loose so you can move it around a bit, tighten the bolts after they are all in.

Did it come off another motor or is it 'spare parts'. How far off is it. It may be necessary to oval some of the bolt holes with a rat tail file if they are off a little. If they are way off it's the wrong manifold and you need to get the right one.

3. Daylon

Daylon

It's the stock manifold and I can't get all the bolts even started . So maybe I'll drill the holes out a little bit and see if that works

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Get one of these at your auto supply store.
    Manifold spreader...... upload_2016-1-16_19-58-6.jpeg
    KK

Nailhead Jason likes this.

5. Daylon

Daylon

Lol those don't work for 1 . And you do realize that that doesn't even fit in between the manifold to spread the bolt holes apart. Have one already

6. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

any chance the head is different on that side. There are some 55 Buicks at a yard near to me. if the manifold is warped. But by now you've straight edged it and all that jazz.

7. Daylon

Daylon

Hmm not sure If it's diff on that side but it fit years ago . Just can't get it to fit now

8. Fr. Buick

Fr. Buick

Is the gasket in the way?

Always assemble the thing loose, that is to say get all your bolts started in their holes (with lots of anti-seize) with plenty of wiggle room, and only then sinch it down tight.

9. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

=================

If for sure it is the same head and the same manifold, and If the head uses studs I'd expect one or more studs are bent.

If the heads have been off, the possibility of being dropped, and bending a stud or 2 is real.
    A bent stud may be about to fail when tightened

How much would you have to enlarge the holes?

10. Daylon

Daylon

That's what I'm checking now