Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who sells the best tool assortment for taking on the road?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Slopok

Slopok

Even China crap is better than doin' it that way! Ask me how I know, been there, done that.

2. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

Man I just got a small ammo case at the military leftover resale place and stuffed it with the tools that were getting on towards the end of there useful life in the actual shop.

Seriously if you car is breaking down so much that you need to carry that many tools you need to rethink if the car is actually put together properly in the first place. Cannot think of the times I have actually used the tools myself but man do they get used up by people at the track on on the road so no use letting people borrow the good stuff.

3. I always carried a small grey Craftsman box with me when I had stock cars. I had enough to pull an engine if I had to. It was a nicely picked out assortment. I also took it on the road many times and did dive into it a few times. Of course the ONE tool you need when you be stranded in EBF... that won't be in the box.

4. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

5. that and a swiss army knife, mcgyver could fix anything.

6. Two shabby

Two shabby

doesnt matter what I bring. Seems like whatever I need isn't in the box. Even if it's in the box, I don't find it until after I need it. I make sure I have a flashlight though. I need one even when it's not dark.

7. 5window

5window

I would have to say that if I saw a neatly arranged kit of shiny tools all of the same brand, I'd have to think someone else built the car and the owner never worked on it. In the old HAMB days, you'd be accused of owning a "street rod" and probably be forced to confess you also had billet parts on it someplace. Those were the days...sigh

8. I never heard of someone wanting a tool kit to look a certain way. A dedicated kit that would stay in the car would be from your 2nd line tools of anyway. Most of us have at least doubles or triples of anything.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to agree with both of you is some respects. I think that many of the billet brigade would just haul out the AAA card and have the car hauled to "their mechanic" and be done with it though.
    A guy doesn't have to go fancy to have a matched set of wrenches and sockets in a case that you can transfer from car to car depending on what you are driving. Sears on sale, Set from Costco or what not bought on sale.

I'd think that Bobs 396 hi just on what most of us do though. pick the tools out of the big box that are well used but have been replaced as you upgrade the tool box. Some name brand, some off brand and all picked because you would need it to do a certain task on the side of the road or in a parking lot.
    I was at a tool sale put on by one of those roll into town with a couple of semis full of HF style tools and set up in a rented building outfits a few years ago and was looking at a set of combination wrenches that were dirt cheap and an older gent who owned a good size farm said that "those are truck wrenches" you stick them in your truck and never worry about them but have them there to use when need them away from the shop. That set has changed a couple of alternator belts on the 48 over the years and still is in it's roll up bag behind the seat.

a

10. I have 2 rollaway boxes full of tools, by now I have 2nd, 3rd and 4th string tools. My main box has all my every-day tools I use all the time. Especially when I have real-deal mechanic friends over helping.. always put out the good china.
    :)

tb33anda3rd likes this.