Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What Makes a Hotrod a 'Special'?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedy Canuck, Jul 7, 2015.

1. My second grade teacher said that I was "special." in retrospect I was standing in the corner and I am not sure it was a compliment.:confused:o_O:oops:

blackanblue and volvobrynk like this.
  2. rsg2506

rsg2506

3. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Not to engage in the argument of what constitutes a "special", thought I would contribute a picture of a car that exemplifies the term - HAMBer rodncustom had a uber talented grandfather who built one and very aptly applied "California Special" script from a special edition Mustang. Enjoy! California Special.jpg

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The oldest "Special" that used that name in England, that I recall offhand, was the Higham Special 4th in a line of racing specials built by putting a WW1 aircraft engine into a prewar Mercedes chassis. Built by Count Louis Zbrowski, they were used in competition and on the road. The first three were called 'Chitty Bang Bang'.

A car had to have a name to be entered in races and if it was not a factory model the custom was to give them new names, often joking like Chitty Bang Bang or Ikanopit. The Higham Special was bought by Parry Thomas and renamed 'Babs' after his girl friend. He was killed in the car while trying to break the Land Speed Record.

5. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

I had a 1950 Buick Special once.

Special Ed likes this.
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

To me a special means lettuce 59c marked down from 79c - Jack Benny

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Two things going on... A "special" is one that doesn't fit the rules. It's a "modified" so to speak or one-off design, but it can't race in any of the established classes because it's not legit. Although there were some rules, the ultimate "Specials" were probably CANAM cars - that class had almost no rules and were essentially run-what-you-brung monsters. Or... it's a vehicle that is just NAMED a Special - after a person, sponsor, builder, pretty girl, place, city, state, etc.. This kind of special could be a car of any type or class - from a production car, to a custom car to a race car (or airplane, boat, etc.). There are a couple of generic HAMB threads about the first kind of Specials, but not necessarily about cars with "Special" in their names. But it could be both depending on the car. Gary

joeycarpunk and Speedy Canuck like this.
  8. Fingers

Fingers

I have always considered a special was what the sports car blokes called a hot rod

9. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

I just got a new book entitled "American Road Race Specials 1934- 1970" by Allan Girdler. They are totally cool but not really HAMB type cars.

10. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Well my Boat tail speedster is Farm Boy Special the name is self explaning. Don on the farm

chryslerfan55 likes this.

11. Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. v8flat44

v8flat44

Now a 57 Buick Special was special.....i think .Specially if ya like Buicks .

Paul likes this.
  13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I thought it was a just a slight upgrade term used by GM, while Ford used the word Deluxe more often.
    Didn't the Model coupe come out as a Standard and Special?
    I guess every bodies car is special to them and some just need to tell it to the world more than others.
    It is a bit like threads we see started on this Forum where they are titled the Official this that or the other.
    I'm damn sure they are no different to any other thread and surely not authorised officially by the management...