Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what year did chevrolet stop using engine numbers for registration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Jan 1, 2016.

1. i was thinking 1955? anyone?

2. squirrel

squirrel

that's the last year they had a real serial number on the engine. Starting in 56, it was just the plant, assembly date, and suffix.

The individual states used which ever number they wanted for registration, though. Some used the car's serial number (predecessor to the VIN), and others used the engine number, and others used both.

3. thanks! vehicle in question is a 1939 chevrolet truck!;)

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chevy never used the serial number for registrations - each individual State decided what they'd use, either engine number or body number. Both numbers were supplied on a Chevrolet vehicle.

5. brhunter92

brhunter92

Does anyone know which states used what? I'm working on trying to get a title for my 50 3100 but I'm not sure which number South Carolina used.

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

I'd go with the frame # look on the right side over the front axle. Engines can be changed

7. Exactly.^^^^^
    A friend bought a '55 hard top from Akansas sans motor. Guess what Arkansas used the number off the motor and since the car had no motor the car had no vin to verify in Missouri. major pain in the neck.

@55 dude if you call the state DOT in the capitol they can let you know which number that they prefer, or perhaps look around on their website or look at the PDF on the SEMA site to see titling requirements by state. In most but not all states you supply them with a number that can be verified and that is what the title is built off of.

8. TomH

TomH

What years did they do this? I have cleaned up early to mid 30s frames and never found any numbers any where.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

I don't think Chevy did frame numbers until the 40s engine numbers only.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

1939 Chevy trucks motor # ran from 1915447-2697269 If your motor is in that series I would use it. If not pick one the chances of someone still using that number is small.