Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does your better half / girlfriend encourage your obsession?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Mrs. Lowkat has put up with my shit for 42 years now but knew what she was in for. We drove away from the wedding in an LT-1 powered '64 El Camino. (The "tow rig" for my '65 Chevelle drag car) I've provided her with some pretty cool cars over the years to keep her on my side including a '62 Vette that was her daily driver for many years.

BUT, DO NOT ASK HER FOR HELP BLEEDING THE BRAKES!!

1973-1964 El Camino LT1.jpg

Corvette 1962 white 03 SMALL.JPG

*NOTE*
    The Saleen S7 isn't her car but part of a collection I care for.
    2006 Saleen 2015 Forest Grove S7 b SMALL.JPG

Speedys Garage, Stogy, Fedman and 2 others like this.
  2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

My wife was my girlfriend for 12 years before we got married, been that way for 4 years.

She dident like my car before I rebuild it, but she respected that I love my car.
    She dosent like mechanics. I used to be a mechanic
    She dosent care for cars.
    She dosent care for welders/welding. Im a Weling inspector, with a background in welding.
    She dosent like getting dirty, she dosent like when I come home dirty.
    She is white collar, I'm blue collar.
    She dosent care if you run a hot rod, a classic car or a 4x4. And i obliviant to if I care or not.
    She dosent like Johnny Cash/Woody Guthrie/Hank Williams/Beach Boys.
    She can't pick a 32 ford roadster from a Ford 40 coupe. They are all old cars.
    She dosent care for the HAMB. :eek:
    She dosent understand the value shop time. If I say "rather a bad day in shop, then a good day at work", she thinks I want to find a new job.
    If I wants to buy a new (new to me) car, she tells me we can't afford it, before I tell her the price.
    She dosent care for the stuff only married people can do, but some times it happend.

But she loves me and I her. So to answer the Q at hand. NO!
    But you guys got some awesome story's.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

My wife is sympathetic. She has a quick, active mind and is interested in almost everything. When we're out and about she'll always draw my attention to old or unusual cars.

We're both suffering from a perpetual lack of money, time, and energy, however. If my projects involved more actual building things and then driving them, and less dreaming, sketching, and arcane theorizing, she'd be a lot more excited about them. Not least of these is her Vespa, in the garage at the house I let, waiting for attention (and a good rebuildable frame - they're around). It's after the Morris but before the '31 on the list ...

Model T1 likes this.
  4. Been with my wife over 20 years, married a little over 10 of those. She enjoys my old cars but doesn't get too excited about them. She never complains about the money I spend on car stuff. I haven't had a car payment since 2002 so I guess she figures that into it. Oh, and she's kinda nice to look at too.
    [​IMG]

5. Model T1

Model T1

I agree she's nice to look at. So why ya got your eyes shut?
    Seems like at least half of us are lucky to have winners for wives who like our hobbys or at least put up with them. Even my kids all like the old cars. Just gave my two favorites to oldest son and son-in-law to finish what I never will.
    I'm like member Ned Ludd a perpetual lack of money, time, and energy. But we've got each other!

p/ugasser and volvobrynk like this.
  6. yruhot

yruhot

Sounds like my wife,
    Sounds like a keeper. Ive got the same kind of wife. She likes the car shows, loves the swap meets but hates the drags. Worries like crazy Im gonna get hurt. But we get through it. Bought an old vintage camper trailer and she redid a lot of the interior. Got to keep them involved. We have a blast with it.lol.yruhot

Model T1 likes this.
  7. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

My ex-wife is much more understanding since the divorce.

tb33anda3rd and Fedman like this.
  8. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

YES.

My wife is the reason that I dove back into these things, headlong, a few years back after a long hiatus. As long as I bring home the bacon, get all the bills paid, and make her a cocktail after dinner, she'll take care of the house, kid, and cooking and leave me to my hobby, so long as I include her every step of the way. Before we got married, there were many misadventures in my '38 Buick and her '62 Chevy II wagon. When we got married, our '28 phaeton was there...
    [​IMG]

And when we go to the drags with Marshal's altered, she helps in the pits, even 8 1/2 months pregnant...
    [​IMG]

And there have been endless roadtrips in the '39 Tudor...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I just got to build her another car. I start on her '41 Knucklehead this fall, and after that she's going to get a new daily driver. She hasn't decided between a custom '49-51 Chevy, or a hopped-up Model A.

9. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Yeah, mine's into it. This pic is a couple of years old. Still convincing her on letting me do a Willys gasser in the near future after our move to TX.
    [​IMG]

Speedys Garage and volvobrynk like this.
  10. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

My finance is ok with me being into cars. She like to ride in my 53 sedan. She also just took over being newsletter editor for the local chapter of the old car club we are member of. She rode with me the whole way from San Antonio to Lake Tahoe and back in my 53 sedan back in 2013. We are getting married in March.
    Here she is next to the 53 when we stayed at the Wigwag Motel in Holbrook Az.
    [​IMG]

11. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

12. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you and your wife gotta be cool people. She has her own ride, and that is just plain cool. My wife has tolerated two trips to the left coast in our roadster, sore backs and all. She is in for the long haul and it makes me one lucky turd. I really enjoy reading your posts because often they include stuff about the wagon and your wife. Joyce and I used to go to Pate in the ;80's when it was at Cresson. We attend Boerne, Fredericksburg, New Braunfels swap meet, and especially Austin's Lonestar Roundup. I consider myself one fortunate son

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  13. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She is very cute. Reminds me of Austin during the Lonestar Roundup in April. Lots of young gals dress like your wife.

14. white64

white64
    from Maine

My GF took this pic with her daughters in the rumble seat, and me filling up my 31 Av8! She loves to ride in it, but most of all I think she loves the reactions it gets from people of all ages, the thumbs up, the people that stop and want to talk about it, but you guys know what I'm talking about.[​IMG]

15. ChefMike

ChefMike

My wife has been on board since day 1 we go to shows she helps in the garage, is learning how to weld and upholstery. as for buying parts etc.. as long as theirs food on the table and the lights stay on she has no issues, for me my lady is a keeper !

Speedys Garage likes this.
  16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great pic white64. Your model a is just tits. Perfect.

17. D.Lee

D.Lee
    from Czexas

I'm a lucky one. My chick helped me build her truck, and DRIVES it everywhere, without any modern conveniences other than 12 volt system. AND she has great taste and style, she does her own thing on her truck as money allows. She can talk the talk, and walk the walk. She's always helping me on my own junk instead of sitting in the house. I fucking love it!
    That's us and her truck below.
    image.jpeg

18. DeeLove247

DeeLove247
    from USA

God Bless you guys, I wish I would be that lucky, in my case its just me, my father in=law and brother in law that share the love for the hobby with passion. My husband collects Old Iron- Caterpillar's. While I am fully supportive and love the old iron and history . . I can't say the same for him with my love of old cars. You are very lucky

19. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Nice car!....your picture says it all;)

20. realsteel34

realsteel34

She just left for the grocery store in her `40 woodie......I`ll ask when she returns.............

21. flynstone

flynstone

Wife no/ girlfriend yes

Brentphx likes this.
  22. LBCD

LBCD

24 years ago the 25th of this month....and still Rollin together....

Attached Files:

Speedys Garage and Fedman like this.
  23. Vagabond Keith

Vagabond Keith

My ex-wife couldn't give two "you know whats" about anything I did, and that really ended up being part of the overall problem. In general she was just indifferent to me...and one day she left.

And her leaving, although hard at the time, was probably one of the best things that ever happened to me! I "met" an old friend from my younger days who had also gone through a divorce, and we blended our families into a modern day hillbilly Brady bunch. One of my biggest automotive passions (and I have many!) is off-roading and off-road traveling. I took her and the added kiddos on an event and they were hooked. Now SHE is the one driving me to attend more events, work on our projects more often, etc. So.....I'm a lucky one!!

Attached Files:

24. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

IMG_20150107_154717.jpg 20150606_115856.jpg Well we had our wedding pics taken at the holy ground with our 55 f100. we weren't even married when she started taking it home and I got the Integra to drive. It became her daily for 3 years. She complained about the no ac but wouldn't give it up lol. Always hang in the shop with me too! Safe to say she is supportive! When most guys are thinking of naked women she know I am thinking of hot rods!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  25. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It's funny this thread should pop up today. Today I got the notice from Facebook that the girlfriend and I had been friends for 6 years. She's more supportive of this habit of mine than I could ever ask for; coming along to shows, pulling junk cars out of god knows where, helping me build a shop... her support knows no end not only in my automotive passion, but in pretty much everything. I always tell people that she's my complimentary piece, but that we're the same but in a different way. Sorry for the hockey reference, but she's like the Wayne Gretzky to my Mark Messier; both great but she has the finesse while I'm more about the power. She's also a damn good DIY home remodeler, and can sling tile, do framing, lay sheetrock, sand and paint better than most. Did I mention she's a lawyer too? And she rides a Harley? She cleans up pretty well, too. Any way, she wanted to get in on the custom car game, so she bought a '59 Edsel 2 door hardtop we're going to be starting on as soon as our new shop is done. Looking forward to many more facebook anniversaries

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. i'm in love........and in my dreams she plays hockey too.....:);)

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  27. My current squeeze is very much into cars, but would rather talk about her cars and car wants.
    She's only 30, and its all about her as far as shes concerned.
    I don't take much notice, my needs get met.;):D

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. highboy

highboy
    from marin

My long time girlfriend used to look like a cat doused with water every time she got in the roadster. My wife on the other hand goes to every show with me. Helps load bare engine blocks in my truck. And tried to talk me OUT of selling my Highboy roadster. Which is why she's my wife ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452980945.804424.jpg

29. I wouldn't say she encourages it, but I do what Iwant as far as buying and selling my cars and parts as long as the bills are paid. She will go to a cruise night about once or twice a year if I'm lucky.

30. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Going on 40 years. She's a hard core quilter and probably has more in sewing machines than I have in hand tools. She does her thing and I do mine and we get together at 5 pm for adult beverages everyday and compare notes. This is her 911 Carrera wide body. image.jpeg