Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seanbelushi, Jan 26, 2013.

1. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Man, if mine turns out half as nice as yours, I'll be happy.

2. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Thanks everyone! It's a real compliment to have you guys think I'm dong good work. I'm perpetually amazed at the quality of work y'all put out.

Still have a couple of small details to weld up before the final painting can happen. But with full time work and full time grad school, time is a rarity these days.

I still need a few parts, namely some door/fender trim, and the back of the front seat. If anyone has a spare, I'm interested!

3. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Got the majority of the painting done over the last couple days. The back & rockers are done, and did some assembly as well. Since it's getting colder here, I'll probably wait a month or so to wet sand/polish, and I still need one door before I can be totally done, but it's getting there!

4. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

More done over the last few days. Got the driver side fender and door painted, and installed those and the hood. Still need to get a left rear door (mine is too far gone), and then paint both rear doors and interior garnish moldings. Getting excited to drive this girl! image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know, I get a kick out of everyone saying that you absolutely must lose the pot metal, because that's what the hot rodders and customizers would have done back in the day. Which is true, but . . . damn, I love the nostalgic look of those badges! Let the haters hate!

WhiteyDM and seanbelushi like this.
  6. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

image.jpeg Thanks Brer! I love the pot metal emblems as well. They're staying!

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  7. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

Lost for words, thats a real BIG Job and I commend you!! Baron Von Vasnic

seanbelushi likes this.
  8. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

You'd should be PROUD!

9. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Thanks Baron & Devin! Sometimes the encouragement is the only thing that keeps this build going.

10. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Very nice, looks good.

11. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I agree with BrerHair 100% on the emblems. In this day and age of monochrome, plastic blobs clogging up the streets and so many fully shaved old rides, I have become much more appreciative of heavy trim. Though I have a full kustom 51 Chevy project on the back burner, lately I have been much more attracted to over accessorized "Bombs" than most smoothed out kustoms. Kuddos on the excellent build! Very inspirational for those of use with huge under takings in the works!

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I like the colors you've chosen! What's the plan on wheels/tires? Have't seen the one piece windshield done on a 4 door before, only on the 2 door models, like our 51 Bus Coupe. When you're finally done there (but, are they ever really done?), how about doing the paint and bodywork on our 51 Bus Coupe? Mostly it's a matter of "patina", not rust through, and a few small dents. My older sister, an R.N., lives in Denver and Montana (depends on the time of the year). I could even drive it there, but it's not really to practical with the 4.88 gears in the rear. Your work is very impressive! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

keeps getting better and better! Love it!!

14. JeffCTN

JeffCTN

WOW, great job! I don't know if it in me to take on such a project. Glad to see you saved the ole girl.

15. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Thanks man. Planning on running the factory wheels painted body color (cream) with wide whites and factory hubcaps/trim rings. I really want it to look completely stock with a more modern driveline. The one-piece windshield was kind of forced on me, as when someone shot the car up, it hit the center post and destroyed that, so it seemed like a good time to make her a one-piece. I'm having a hard time finishing up painting this one between full-time work and full-time grad school (Acute Care Nurse Practitioner). But thanks for the vote of confidence.

Thanks!

Looking back, the smarter thing would have been to pick another one, but this has family history and I'm glad that it's getting closer to being done.

Still have to paint the rear doors, but it's too cold outside to do any painting until probably March/April, so the winter has been collecting parts and doing some little piddly things until the rest can be done.

16. WhiteyDM

WhiteyDM
    from Texas

I know that feeling of trying to work on something between school and work. At least you're making regular progress!

I've seen a number of stock or near stock 52s that have gone up for sale since I started on mine. Most of them were very nice or immaculate; one car I saw was almost exactly how I want mine to turn out. They were never terribly expensive, and certainly it would be cheaper in the long run to just buy one of those. Despite that, it feels that the family car has more value, despite its condition.

17. chargin03

chargin03

Wish I had your ambition

18. cmarcus

cmarcus

Love the more door! Great motivation for me. Is it getting lowered at all?

19. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I just finished reading the entire thread. Great story & awesome skills you've put to good use on the ol' 52. I know exactly how you feel putting that much effort & funds into a car with the market value of a 49-54 moredoor. But as you & others have stated, you are bringing back old memories in the 52 that'll Be sure to create fun times "new memories" in days ahead. I felt as if I were reading an alternate version of our families "53 150 build". Also a moredoor. It's been the most challenging yet rewarding build I've ever began, I'm basically at the same stages of the build you're at, with life intervening & always pushing the finished goal of completion back. I'm hoping to hit the road later this year with the 53 , but I've hoped the same thing for the last 3 years.:) It's a priceless story you've got going & thanks for sharing! Flux.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    seanbelushi likes this.
  20. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Colorado winters are not conducive to bodywork, so the '52 has been on the back burner. Plus, working full time and being in full time NP school, time is a rarity lately. However, I did manage to get out to a cool junkyard in Florence, CO that had the left rear door I was needing. It's from a '50 Olds, but a few holes filled and some new ones drilled and I'll be in business!

Here's a couple pics of my new door, and a few of the junkyard it came from. I so wanted to take home a few cars from here!

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

21. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh baby, some nice junk!

seanbelushi likes this.
  23. Wow, great thread and great work:)

seanbelushi likes this.
  24. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

25. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Did a little more work last week (nothing big). I have been looking for some backup lights for this car, and finding some in decent shape was like finding hen's teeth. Most were several hundred dollars.

However, on the auction site, someone has some "turn signals" listed for a Cadillac, with part number B-50 stamped on them. Coincidentally, that's the same part number for the reverse lights. They were only $30 and in perfect shape, so I took a chance. Turns out they are EXACTLY what I needed. I put some NOS glass lenses on them, polished up the chrome bezels, and took a very large hole saw to my fresh paint. But it turned out good, and now I need to wire them up.

This week I may have a little time to strip the paint from my last two doors and get them ready for primer. Hopefully the weather will cooperate soon, and I can get them painted.

-Sean

image.jpeg

26. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Got a lot done on the '52 the last few days. Finally painted the rear doors, so now I can put the rest of the trim in place. Next stop...glass and tires. Then, interior?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461507289.238368.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461507301.322056.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461507319.741147.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461507330.008245.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461507348.425438.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461507361.393505.jpg

27. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Nothing much to report. Trying to find the remaining stainless trim I'm missing.

Did manage to get the doors covered in sound deadener
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464474661.231577.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464474698.232464.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464474719.348976.jpg

Anyone with trim for sale, let me know!

Sean

pat59 likes this.
  28. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It's lookin' good

seanbelushi likes this.
  29. shown50

shown50

I remember seeing this thread when you first started glad to see you're still working on it!

seanbelushi likes this.
  30. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

^x2!^ glad to see you in the home stretch!

seanbelushi likes this.