Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shop truck sideboard pics and design ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am in the process of planning a set of sideboards for the Produce truck. I am not by any means, a carpenter. I am looking for designs that will hold up well in all weather. This is not a show car, it's a driver. I was perusing the archives and I saw a few good ideas. I would appreciate any pics you have.
    I'll post a few to get it started. Below is a pic of the year of truck I am building.
    1935 Ford pickup.jpg
    sideboards 1.jpg
    sideboards 2.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. belair

belair

I like the style of the last pic, whether you use one board or two.
    I want a big stuffed hog to ride in the back of my truck, like a dog.

3. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My 29 IMG_0482.JPG

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

5. ...mine are rustic but match the truck, ...I like em,...they are probly twice as old as the truck.
    48 ford sideboards 006.jpg 48 ford sideboards 001.jpg

charleyw and kiwijeff like this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

7. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I am contemplating doing something like this for my '35 for a few years and was thinking of something in my head similar to the step down look on that Chevy. I was also thinking it would be nice to build a seat mechanism of some kind. Back when I was a kid, the farm I worked on had an F1 with sideboards that also had a fold down seat board on both sides to take us out to the field "in comfort" kind of what was in the back of the old army trucks. Now it would be nice to sit back there and enjoy a cold one or something like that.

8. This is my favorite. I also like this style done 3 high. The length proportions become important anytime the ends are staggered. cut them too long and keep shortening them an inch at a time until they look right.

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Since I work with metal, I built these using steel tube (that will be chrome plated) with aluminum panels that will be painted and lettered. IMG_5227.JPG

CW's40TPU, charleyw, 54reno and 4 others like this.
  10. I made these using Red Oak. File1732.jpg CW\'s Pickup Sideboards571.jpg

Roothawg and kiwijeff like this.
  11. Marty, I really like your Metal Sideboards.....your PU is going to look Awesome!

12. I'm using these old Sideboards that Jot Horne gave me 50 yrs ago. DSCF0014.JPG DSCF0035.JPG DSCF0034.JPG

13. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I have always loved these things and plan to make some for my 52 GMC. When making them, do the uprights go all the way to the bottom of the stake pockets?

14. I have some made, but not fitted, but they are just single, one plank each side.
    Looking at this thread has made me realise how utterly boring they are :D so I'll be having a rethink.

I like the look of the two piece each side, more so maybe for before 1935, and the stepup rounded look for fat fendered years. :)

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

16. scrap drive 7...6-8-13 010.jpg
    ...there's usually a stop built into the stake pockets for the stake to sit on, not all the way to bottom.

...our club member and current club prez. has these sideboards that promote our show/swap every year...

Speedys Garage and kiwijeff like this.
  17. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

18. 47 p.u. aerial 007.jpg 47 p.u. aerial 003.jpg
    ...I always leave a gap between the boards and the bedside so I can tie a rope or two over my swapmeet stuff.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  19. jetcycles

jetcycles

I like the stepped look, regardless of how many pieces of lumber is used to accomplish it.

20. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I just made these up today WP_20160110_13_55_33_Pro.jpg

Speedys Garage likes this.
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just to close this thread out, here's what I ended up with. sideboards.JPG

23. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

Funny, they look a lot like the second pic I posted. I didn't really use the thread for a reference when building them, so I guess I should always follow my gut. Which is pretty obvious since it sticks out a foot in front of me.......