Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help for 3 Deuce Setup of Holley 94s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RHRH3P, Jun 2, 2009.

1. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am getting ready to put 3 deuces on my Y block. The engine is a 272 bored out .180 to a 3.80" bore (same as a 312) now 299cid, has '57 ECZ-G big valve heads, headers, and is backed up with a T5. In essence its a destroked 312. The intake is the Edelbrock 573 which will mate up with the G heads nicely and I plan on putting 3 Holley 94s on it. I have a slightly larger sized one as found on Y blocks planned for the center carb and regular sized 94s for the outside carbs. What I am looking for is what setup has been working best for everyone. The car is a driver, so I'm not looking for a racing setup. A couple questions I have are:

1. I am assuming progressive is the way to go for it being a driver, but should I go with 1 primary and 2 secondaries or 2 primaries and 1 secondary? Should I consider 2 primaries and a dummy center?

2. I hear getting the vacuum leaks minimized has been a trouble spot. Vintage Speed has new aluminum bases that are SUPPOSED to help this. Is it worth it or will new angled plates do just as well so long as the bases have been properly prepared?

3. Power valves... Depending on what you say for question #1 will have a lot to do with this. What is at least a good starting point? Block off the secondaries power vales or use them?

Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks!

2. I have a virtually identical set-up on my '56 T-Bird, though my manifold is an Edelbrock 553.

#1 It has a progressive linkage that only kicks the front/rear carbs open at wide open throttle. Center carb is plenty for running around, just make sure you're pointed straight when you stand on it...

#2 I can't help much with...haven't had many issues in this area

#3 The power valves are used on my secondary carbs.

Hope this helps...

3. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks BIGREDTODD. Is there more help out there?

4. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

Vaccume leaks are a defanite no no on the secondaries. You need steady vacume in order to set your idle and timing.As for power valves yes on the main and no on the secondaries Good luck you will love it

5. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is there any more helpout there?

6. Crease

Crease

I think the info so far is accurate, here's my take....

1. I am assuming progressive is the way to go for it being a driver, but should I go with 1 primary and 2 secondaries or 2 primaries and 1 secondary? Should I consider 2 primaries and a dummy center?

The middle is primary front and back should be secondaries that open at about 3/4 throttle.

2. I hear getting the vacuum leaks minimized has been a trouble spot. Vintage Speed has new aluminum bases that are SUPPOSED to help this. Is it worth it or will new angled plates do just as well so long as the bases have been properly prepared?

I do run the "oblong" butterflies and I have never had a problem in this area. The bases sound like over kill to me.

3. Power valves... Depending on what you say for question #1 will have a lot to do with this. What is at least a good starting point? Block off the secondaries power vales or use them?

You dont need power valves in the secondaries. However, I seriously doubt that it would hurt to run them. Personally, I would plug them.

And the bonus lightning round.....

Invest in good linkage
    They're gonna leak, it's OK
    Its easy to strip the screws on the airhorn
    If your gonna rebuild one, machine the gasket surfaces
    Run a good pressure regulator
    No matter what anyone tells you, Rudolph Faltermeier is the man when it comes to 94s

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  7. Teemu

Teemu
    from Finland

I´ve been struggling with my 3 x 94 setup on a nailhead. And I have to say that be shure that the power valves SEAL properly when you put them in place. Otherwise you will have a lot of smoke and it will be hard to start the engine.

8. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I agree with Crease.
    You want to make the center 94 your primary and the end two secondaries. You should plug the power valve and I have on occassion also plugged the idle circuits also, making the secondary 94's just dumpers, just like some of the factory tripower units were.
    I also believe in the 5 degree throttle plates for the primary and 12 degree for the secondaries. If you could totally seal the secondary plates from leaking, the tripower setup would be much easier to tune. The only person that has actually done this is Charlie Price and I have never used his bases, but they do look very attractive from a point and not having to spend time and money rebuilding the stock base plates.
    As Crease also said, but or make the best linkage you can. Although Flathead Jacks tripower linkage is very expensive, the design and the stability is the best on the market. If you make linkage yourself, look at this design.....................it is the best working linkage out there....................maybe with the exception of Strombergs97 in Sacramento.

IMHO

Attached Files:

9. Good advice here.

10. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the additional info. Anyone have more to add to this?

11. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

good luck with Charlie price, talking about slow and chances of getting your carbs back that you send him is zero to none. been there done that. never again.