Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Traditional “Assembly” – Vespaholic

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by vespaholic, Dec 21, 2015.

?
  1. Leave it as a Speedster.

42 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Put on the Tudor body.

30 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. delete

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Rui, volvobrynk and bali-rod like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

both are great rides, leave both as they are and enjoy the different styles. you will get thumbs up driving either one out on the streets.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. I too would keep then as they are, the "boat tail" speedster is cool.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Did'nt you have a noise in the motor/bell housing of the tudor? What did you find?

5. I would drive the speedster while I was learning how to build a car using the tudor as my learning tool.

You can learn to build a car none of us were born with that skill or knowledge and you got a cool car to drive around in while you are learning. ;)

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  6. 55willys

55willys

I totally agree with Jalopy Joker. Leave them the way they are and fix any little things you don't like.

7. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

if it were mine, i'd put the speedster body on the stock chassis and let it go, and i'd put the tudor body on the av8 chassis and drive the wheels off it. but, you mention the speedster chassis is stretched. where is the stretch and what does it mean for the installation of a stock body? if it's stretched ahead of the firewall, continue with plan A, and run the homemade hood and deuce grille from the speedster with the tudor. if it's stretched elsewhere, then you've got to think about how installation of the stock body will be affected by it.

8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

oh right. my fault. well that makes it easy then...

9. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

The speedster is soooooooo cool, yet the tudor is more practical. I can't decide

Are you really really sure you need the room in the Tudor??

10. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I would look for another garage space and keep both. LOL Its a shame to take 2 driving cars apart to make one. They are your cars and feel free to do what ever you decide. Biggest thing is to have fun!

11. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'd do the sedan

504640 likes this.
  12. sdroadster

sdroadster

When I was a young guy I had an older (teen age) friend that had a 30 Model a Coupe. Later he acquired a 30 Model A Roadster body. Because it was his only car in the late spring a gang of us kids would go to his house and lift off the coupe body, and replace it with the roadster body. It had bobbed rear fenders, and motorcycle fenders in the front, with plugs on the wiring. After a couple times we had the process refined. We could remove and replace the bodies in a week end. Now days I wonder if the insurance company would get upset, but back then no one cared.

13. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

This reminds me of a story my dad used to tell. There was a guy in town who would swap his Blown SBC from his roadster in the summer to his '55 chev in the winter. Pretty fancy thing to do for a high school kid in about 1960.

I like the fact I have both open cars and closed cars. It is nice to have a roadster or a touring in the summer and a sedan or a coupe for fall and spring. I have even had the sedan out in the middle of winter on the nice days when all the snow has disappeared. Its also nice to have room for the family and to have the sporty 2 seater roadster. Maybe that is why I have too many cars.

14. Tony,
    There is a name for guys like you, "Schizo- Motors!"
    BTW there's a guy in Pompton Lakes NJ, (not too far
    from the State-Line!) that has a great car cover for sale
    for $150 on CL. Offer him $125 and get a portable garage
    for the sedan for winter. There ain't gonna be much bad
    weather this winter.
    Also, those knobby's are very cool!
    Merry Christmas!
    Tony

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's an interesting situation to be in. The roadster sure looks like fun but may not be the best all around hot rod for your needs while the A Sedan would really make a nice little hot rod sedan on the Roadster's chassis without a lot of hassle except in the area of the kickup in the back.

On the other end of the deal the roadster body on the stock chassis is still a highly desirable car to many people and that would include the speedster brigade that runs pretty much Stock chassis Model A speedsters and all the rest of us who might want a pretty much stock chassis A speedster. I'm sure no help though as I'm piecing together three hot rod /custom projects plus an OT project at the moment just because my brain envisions a fun car for every occasion in the garage to pick from.

16. My simple rules are 3.
    Rule #1. If it runs and drives, drive it.
    Rule #2 It usually takes about 10 times as long to put
    something back together as it takes to disassemble it.
    Rule #3 Pay attention to the first 2!

17. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

You will need to change the Tudor body to fit the z. Also may have to modify the speedster to look right on a stock frame also.

18. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

19. yruhot

yruhot

Hello Vespaahaloic,sometimes we create problems by thinking too much. But I got to say the thought of changing bodies based on the weather report soundsa pretty crazy to me especially if you are strapped for time. I like the sugestion of the shelter thing on craigslist and store on in there for the winter and drive the sedan. You are so lucky to be in this situation of having two cars. Just drive them and enjoy. Also I dont like the bit about " I cant weld" None of us on hear just picked up a stinger and began welding. OK there might be a few gifted ones. My point is we all picked up a stinger and burnt up a lot of stuff before we were pretty proficient at it. It if turns out maybe you just dont get it, theres got to be someone in your ares you could barter with or pay him to do what welding you needed done. Some guys might just like to be involved with your project also. Anyway just chill and enjoy what you got going on. YRUHOT.

20. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You could put a bed back on that truck and put jumpseats back there fore people to ride in the bed

Also check to make sure firewall is mounted in same spot so you know the cab isn't slipped back and measure your wheelbase so you know exactly whats going on...

If it were me I'd call brookville and order a 31 roadster tail with a rumble seat ... You could probably bring them the cab and have them weld it together for you... If your going to have a useless antique car... Nothin better than a roadster!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  21. autobilly

autobilly

I digs me a Hot Rod Tudor!

22. What ever way you go is going to be good, but the speedster is very kool.

23. So you want to gamble ruining two completely awesome looking cars with your bets hedged on skills you said you don't have. I don't see this ending well for you, but someones gonna get a good deal on the inevitable craigslist ad for two piles of parts that ran good when torn apart.

24. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You just have to cut the section of subrails that interfere with the frame kickup and re weld at new elevation

Looking at your truck pics I'm pretty sure that cab is slid back for firewall clearance ... That being said your going to have to do mods to your sedan firewall also

25. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Sell them both and buy a finished hot rod sedan that already has a V8 in it.

26. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Not really I just knew it was probably short of impossible to get that motor to fit with a 59a fan assy and not cut into the firewall on a 30-31 ..

However measuring the hood doesn't tell you the whole story.. It's possible the radiator could of been pushed forward or the crossmember and radiator pushed forward and the cab is where it is supposed to be..

27. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Drive the speedster. Build the tudor as its own car. You could also just do some upgrades to the tudor that you are comfortable with.

28. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Being in PA, your ass would see a bit more seat time in the Tudor than the speedster each year.
    Even on warm spring and fall days that early morning ride to events can be a chilling experience.

29. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Ha ha! The older I get the bigger pussy I become. Not saying I don't drive the roadster hours at a time in 30 degree weather, I just don't like it as much as I used to.

30. Cars actually tell you what they want to be...
    You are starting to hear it!