Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Pontiac StarChief... What can I do to it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mar, Apr 12, 2012.

1. mar

mar
    from OH

2. dimitri89

dimitri89

Hi, don't me to forum jack, but I'm in the process of buying a 55 pontiac star cheif 4 door with origional 287. Seller says he has gone through it extensive lee, and it is running good and drivable. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice, I will would like this to be a project car, however it would be my first.

will this engine be too old? And will the parts be too difficult to find if I run into problems and have to rebuild?

Any advice for me?
    Thank you!!

3. Slapstick

Slapstick

does anyone have a part number for what shocks to use on the front?thanks

4. dimitri89

dimitri89

Unrelated question. I rebuilt my motor, I'm getting her to turn over but not fire. She was better a little bit. I'm going to check the vacuum system again, I already verified the timing by aligning the dots up on the timing chain and sprockets. Seems like I'm getting fuel compression and spark any ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  5. mar

mar
    from OH

whoo.. its been 8 years and unfortunately the car had sat for just about that long. Good news is I have it here in SC now and have begun doing stuff. Having an issue with oil leaking from the stratostreak plate on the passenger side valve cover. I just did new spark wires and plugs. Its had its brake master upgraded to an aftermarket and all the drum cylinders replaced so she does run and drive. Just the mentioned oil leak.. I replaced the gaskets.. whew what a pain with that AC/Generator mounting bracket.

Any ideas on what I should look at? Its been mentioned that it may be too much pressure in the crank case and that I should clean out the engine breather canister?