Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does your better half / girlfriend encourage your obsession?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 6, 2016.

1. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I am one of the fortunate ones, Brenda really enjoys the old cars as much as I do. HRP[/QUOTE]

Add me to the "fortunate list" Barbara is great about this and loves going to the shows. Agree cruise nights much more fun than all day shows. She loves to look at the cars as well. At least that's how its been working for the first 35 years. Let's see what the future holds.
    On the other side--I go to some things with her too including a "Sheep and Wool Fest" in the fall in Rhinebeck.
    This is good because on an equivalency scale, she has more yarn than I have parts/junk.

Pete

Attached Files:

r2c1, volvobrynk, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  2. i am very fortunate that my wife is a "car person" . i am just finishing up an. ot hot rod roadster for her to drive. there are car photos and art throughout our house and she is always interested in the new "finds"
    she doesn't understand my tractor collection tho...........

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  3. Brentphx

Brentphx

If I ever stumble upon that rumored once in a lifetime roadster deal that some of us tell tall tales about mine will cross over to the encouraging side of the fence. Right now we're in the tolerance camp, but sedans aren't for everyone :) I do get the whole family out to shows, so we are all involved to a degree.

Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. I had a line written into our wedding vows, saying she would still love no matter how many cars I bought.

volvobrynk, Raiman1959, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  5. Photo taken at unfinished nationals, Paris Ontario Canada and was in Canadian hot rods magazine
    Picture and title says it all !!!
    009.JPG 009.JPG

volvobrynk, loudbang, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  6. Polishing the \'34.jpg jukin\'.jpg

Absolutely! We do argue once in while about car shows ..... when I don't really want to go and she DOES. I let her win that argument everytime! She also was the driving force behind building The Hot Rod Grille garage and all of the cool stuff that's in it. I'm a very, very lucky man!

Jim

Model T1, volvobrynk, clem and 5 others like this.
  7. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Tolerating, yes my wife thinks I'm a little nutty. She gets bored at car shows. Still, she doesn't mind giving me a hand once in a while.

Attached Files:

8. I have been doing this hot rod stuff before I met my wife back in 64.:eek: So she knew what she was getting into. :rolleyes:
    She loves going anywhere so it is all good.:cool: She even helps when needed. ;)
    001.JPG Sycamore 009.JPG

9. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Damn near perfect mate concerning my car obsession. After all, I built cars and played music when I married her 33 years ago and haven't changed. She has no interest in having her own collectible or special interest car but will ride with where ever I want to go.
    The real tragedy in marriage is women always think a guy will change and they don't.
    Men think women won't change and they do.

10. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

DSCF0365.JPG You know she does HRP. She'll even pull the wagon @ the swapmeets from time to time.

11. Lil32

Lil32

My wife loves our coupe and assisted chasing parts while it was being built. We fly to LARS each year and she enjoys walking around swap and show all day. But I return favour by taking her to USA mall for shoes and clothes. It is an equal game in this house DSCN3702.JPG

12. squirrel

squirrel

Encourage? Accept? Tolerate?

somewhere in there, is the answer. She knows it's not going away...

13. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Yes and no...
    My wife supports me playing with a car here and there and getting my 2 boys involved with it...
    But I'm not allowed to go to my local junkyard and look at cars anymore...
    Or allowed to fill up parts past my garage...
    I'm not complaining... I tend to save stuff from the crusher too much... Lol

14. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife absolutely HATES cars. HATES.

Weird part is, she gives me plenty of time in the shop. It's just not for her. Maybe she likes peace and quiet watching TV more than general conversation. Yeah, that's it.

15. das858

das858

I'm one of the lucky ones too. Recently I said I would be ok missing goodguys in Des Moines and Salina kkoa shows and she said if I didn't go she would take one of the cars and go herself! Right now she's getting ready to tackle reupoulstering the seats in our 1964 Dodge wagon.

volvobrynk, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. My GF likes my old car hobby, goes to the LARS every year with me and calls me on the cell to tell me she found this "treasure", we both work for NASCAR at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, and she just bought a coffee cup that says"If a man says he'll fix it, he will - there's no need to remind him every six months". And she puts up with me telling her the SoCal Speed Shop boxes being delivered are parts for her Jeep that's been in my shop for too long.................................................I'm blessed!

volvobrynk, clem and Stogy like this.
  17. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

early on in my long relationship with my ex-girl friend, I told her I just bought another old car. she said " what? you didn't ask me". I said "when you start giving me Fuckin' money, then you can start telling me how to Fuckin' spend it". there was never any more discussion about what I did car wise.

volvobrynk, loudbang and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  19. Lets see........My better half says I dont spent time with her and doesn't understand my car passion......My girlfriend loves the time I spend with her and loves riding shotgun.

;)

verno30, Stogy and Fedman like this.
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

"Encourage"is probably a little strong...:confused::rolleyes:

21. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine complains about the money from time to time, but I hear her telling her friends on the phone that she thinks my car is "cute", her words not mine. But weve been thru this for 44 years of marriage and 4 years before that. We found and read her diary lately from when we were dating in school and damned near every page referenced me working on the Nomad and her only complaint was she wished I could spend more time with her, but she never actually told me that, she just let me do my thing. Weve had our ups and downs like every couple, but all in all its been image.jpeg a great 50 years.

22. deadbeat

deadbeat

Great read. I am one of the lucky ones. My wife of nearly 30 years supports me in every way. Sure you have to get your priorities right with day to day living, but I have never been stopped in getting something when needed. On NYE my O/T e150 Econoline blew a heater hose on a hill on our way to a friends farm for a party. My wife was all dolled up and I got out my tools and Jody jumped in and gave me a hand to get us going again, what a gal. My secret is to get them involved, buy them a car but don't force them. And the rest is history

Stogy likes this.
  23. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I guess I'm with the guys who say "no" . I'm with my wife for nearly 30 years, and she used to be more "into" it in years past. We've had tons of interesting cars through the years together (several British sports cars, muscle cars, motorcycles), even used to go to shows together. Not so much in the last few years, don't know why. It's not stopping me though. My wife thinks the Shoebox is cool, but I think could take it or leave it. The good thing is, my 7 year-old daughter loves it ... I think that is awesome ! I take her out in it as much as possible. Maybe one day Bridey will come back around ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    falcongeorge and Stogy like this.
  24. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Here is my wife last weekend pulling her first motor, out of HER Metropolitan convertible that I got her for Christmas is 2014.
    She is very supportive of my hobby/passion/career!
    All the girls she works with always say how jealous they are that they don't have a man that has any kind of hobby or passion.
    She married me when we were in Vegas for Viva in 2011.
    She really got into when I got her the MET, really pushed me to get an O/T car done so we could get started on it.
    Great feeling when you wife says she is proud of you and what you have built!
    I know I am lucky.[​IMG]

'48IHC, DdoubleD, LOU WELLS and 7 others like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely...Completely

escarpment.jpg

:rolleyes:

deadbeat likes this.
  26. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

My wife isn't really in to cars, but it's my hobby, not hers, so that's cool with me. She likes going places in the cool car, so going to a cruise night and going out to dinner works for both of us. She's ok with some walking around and looking, but not much for sitting and watching.

Stogy likes this.
  27. I never had a real job, have always built race cars and hot rods. Judy, my wife of 49 years has always been there. She loves old cars and the people associated with them.

Stogy likes this.
  28. My GF enjoys cars/tractors/swapmeets as much as I do, she even goes to junkyards with me. She slept with me in the back of my Elco in freezing rain just to get some parts at the Pomona swapmeet one year. She likes having a old car for a daily too and can't wait until we move so I can get a shop......I consider myself VERY lucky. It also helps that I've known her since she was 16.

Stogy and deadbeat like this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife does not much care for cars. She does appreciate good design. She likes shows, as it gives here the chance to dress up in in her vintage fashion.
    [​IMG]
    Viva Las Vegas - 2015.

30. dang it.....this question again....toot toot.....

Stogy likes this.