Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mopar flathead 6 id

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BRTAYLOR, Jan 4, 2016.

1. BRTAYLOR

BRTAYLOR

Can you identify the year of manufacture from the casting numbers ? I have a Canadian 251 cu in 25 in long engine with no engine no stamped on the block, it has full flow oil filtration , sodium filled exhaust valves. The casting numbers are F259 and CWC 400229-5. May be industrial . ? The rod journals are down to .060 us , are there bearings available to go another under size ?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

When you say full flow filtration does it have the tower style filter or a separate filter with oil lines about 3/8" diameter?

The tower filter was 1949 up and the other full flow started about 1946. The first 251 engine was 1942.
    Never heard of sulfide filled exhaust valves. If you mean sodium filled it could only be some kind of heavy duty truck, industrial or military power plant.

Most likely industrial. Some were furnished without numbers so the user could stamp their own numbers. New replacement car and truck engines were also sold this way, they were supposed to be stamped with the old number.

Is there a metal tag rivetted to the block low on the right side? Some had the ID in that location.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Might be a military M37 engine as well. They had full flow filters on some of them. A picture is worth a thousand guesses though.

Vintage power wagons will have replacement bearings as well as standard size replacement cranks for that engine.

4. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Contact hitek on this forum, send him a PM. Tim has all the books and can most likely answer your request...

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Vintage Power Wagons is the expert on these motors and has huge stocks of surplus parts at low prices.

6. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

PM hitek, he can answer your questions. I do not know of another besides Bill Watson from Toronto Canada, who may be a better source of info on the Chrysler flathead 6 engines.

7. hitek

hitek

Howdy our friends down under.. On the side of the block, oil filter side, right down by the oil pan is a casting date
    in that generation of engine its is likely 01 01 52 or in other words 2 digits for day, 2 digits for month and 2 digits for year. The sodium filled valves were an option. You see them in heavier trucks and industrial applications.
    I have several big trucks with the sodium filled valves. Usually its local governments (municipalities) that bought them for snow plowing or dump trucks that ordered that option and starting June 52, in the 250 or 265 the factory dual intake and exhaust were options I will attach a picture. New sodium valves are still available if you need some .

There were actually a couple of different full flow oil filter and I am not talking the bypass filters. Likely the export engine has one that uses a Fram CH192PL canister oil filter.

On the rod bearings 60 thou is already getting well out there and I think that is it.. Mains its 40 thou . I can double check that for you but I think your at the limit. So options a spray welding and grinding the crank, or getting another crank.

Back to your original question, I can only get you in a range by casting numbers. In terms of no numbers stamped on the block, means it did not leave the Windsor Ontario Canada engine plant as a complete engine. It left as a block ! My grandfather were there when the plant rolled off the 1st flathead in 1935 for the 1936 model year and he was there when the last engine was cast and rolled off the engine assembly line in 1959. There were thousands of spare blocks cast and prep'd. For example starting July 1951 every Canadian 25 1/2" block was "carved" to allow for the 4 3/4" stroke 265 ci motor. They may have wound up being built as 238's, 250's or 265's but they were all
    prep'd so they could be accommodate the 265 crank and rods.

If I can help, you can drop me a line at [email protected] and thanks to Fred "Flat Six Fix" I was tipped off you were looking for information !

Tim

Attached Files:

302GMC likes this.
  8. BRTAYLOR

BRTAYLOR

Thanks for your replies. Have checked out vintagepowerwagon site , they sure have a lot of stock . Rusty - sulphide / sodium, early morning brain fart, have edited post. hitek - this is my first mopar flathead 6 so I have a lot to learn , the dual intake / exhaust likes real nice , thanks for your reply , very informative .

9. BRTAYLOR

BRTAYLOR

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Several photos of engine and car it is out of. hiteckh could the casting f 2 59 be the date ie Feb 2 1959 ?

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That spin on filter is one I haven't seen before. It resembles the cartridge filter used on Chrysler Windsor cars 1949 - 54 but with a spin on filter. This tells me you have full flow filtration and a truck engine newer than 1954. That engine was used in Dodge trucks, 2 ton and larger, up to 1962 and in marine and industrial use until 1972. Military Dodge Power Wagon 4 wheel drive trucks until 1968.

I don't know exactly when they made that style of filter, as I say I never saw one like that before, but it must be newer than 1954.

It is kind of a moot point because internal parts like pistons, rods, bearings etc are alike and interchangeable over many years.

I just had another thought. They used to change the distributor design every couple of years, and used different distributor models on different engines. Can you get the make and model number off the distributor? This may help narrow it down, and the info will be valuable if you need points, condenser rotor or distributor cap.