Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WINDSHIELD WIPERS DUVAL WINDSHIELD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bert Kollar, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

100_0122.jpg I'm looking for ideas for windshield wipers on my RPU project with DuVal style windshield. Has anyone added cowl mount wipers on a similar car

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to use the wiper system (especially love the pedestals) from the MG Midget / AH Sprite cars on my A coupe. They have a nicely angled bezel and they use the same "worm" drive cable some of the hot rod systems use (probably where those mfgs got their ideas / parts). Pix below from the web. And yes, on my A's flat windshield, I'm even considering using three of them, to increase the coverage! Gary

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. I used the rear wiper from a Ford Fiesta on my DuVal windshield. Ran the spindle through a Jaguar bezel and fitted a wiper arm from an MG. It's legal here to run with a wiper on the driver's screen only - that made it all simpler.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

On my 27 roadster I used wipers from about a 68 Saab. I made this tool to put the dimples in the cowl, which was a bit scary because that was the best piece of sheet metal on my car! I practiced on a scrap piece of sheet metal and tried the round washers first and the shape was not quite right. Then I made the oval ones and it was perfect. I have a better picture in the car which is not in the computer if you need it I can post it tomorrow. P1040003.JPG P1040004.JPG img783.jpg Hope this helps, Gary

5. Most English cars from the 50's to 70's at least ran those cable operated wiper systems, the 90degree drives can be mounted with the same orientation or the same way to get "waving" wipers or with one upside down to get "clapping" wipers like what I have on my 1940 Dodge........they are a neat setup.............andyd

Attached Files:

6. patterg2003

patterg2003

7. tmf

tmf

Here is some pics of mine. I used jag cable operated mechanism. Outside on the cowl i used a local 1948 holden cast piece. Positioning of the base is critical achieve a nice look. P1110743.JPG P1110744.JPG

Sergeant82d and KoolKat-57 like this.
  8. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Great ideas. Thanks guys, keep them coming. I'm starting to get the idea of what to do

9. The cable operated system used on the English cars is the Lucas wiper motor and drive. The nice thing about them is the wiper motor can be mounted down on side of the cowl, and not taking up space behind/under the dash.

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

What a strange coincidence... good wiper systems come from England? Who'd a thunk it. Gary

11. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Bought the cable operated system from NOS Parts. Look forward to working on the system. Thanks again for the ideas