Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

While all you clowns have been here on the hamb "constructively" criticizing each other I have been out constructively making progress on the Willys after starting it in the barn then making several hole shots down the street and pulling it in the garage the little old lady from next door so graciously walked over and said "I see you have awakened the neighborhood nightmare" so I guess it has now been named anyhow it's a new year guess it's out with the old

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451864014.906367.jpg

And in with the new

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451864375.659424.jpg

Now gotta get back to work and get this bed mounted

2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

[/QUOTE]
    You treed me, I got 8 and 9

30dodgeboy likes this.
  3. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros. 31 and 32!!

4. 62Furious

62Furious

wrenchbender I thought that my shop was small and full of junk. you have more junk.
    If you think that that new bed will help with arrow-dynamics, I don't think so, just more weight over the rear wheels.

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

That weight over the back wheels should get the front ones even higher in the air on the launch....and maybe the 1-2 shift too!:)
    And that shop reminds me of my Grandfather's shop.....That place was like some kind of magic factory.....As soon as you walked in,you knew the place was great:)

6. Saxxon

Saxxon

Now that the MDA has made the "First (and Second) to pre-register" announcement on Facebook, I feel I can make a comment about this. Being the first or one of the first to pre-register means a lot to my brother and I. I guess in some way - it's another way of saying thank you to the MDA and the Byron facility.

This event has been very kind to us and has provided my Brother and I with the opportunity for a bit of an adventure to look forward to every year and to meet and greet with some amazing people who share our enthusiasm for vintage Drag Racing. The Scout and the Prefect have received a lot of attention including magazine features, and the Meltdown event has been a reason for that. Of course there's also the bragging rights.

My wife thought I was nuts for sitting at my computer with my finger poised over the mouse - counting down the seconds before I hit the send button. The confirmation message came back at me at 12:00:03

We are actually starting to build up a bit of history for this kind of thing:

2012 - Our first year - The Scout was the first car through tech and got assigned #1 for the event.

2013 - First Car in - This was the first year for pre-registration

2014 - Disappointment - #16 and #17. I seem to recall getting some ribbing about my reaction time from the MDA faithful.

2015 - First cars in. I thought the 3rd - 2nd - 1st count down on Facebook was really great.

2016 - First cars in. - #1 and #2 on our windows - very very cool

See you folks there...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  7. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Congratulations Dave on the 1 & 2 spot, I was 13 and that's good with me and now I have a few things to address on the Falcon and we're good.

Jon

loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am really going to have to work on my reaction time between now and July...I am car 66...lol. But we are still crazy excited to make it up there for our first time.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  9. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Ha ha you should have seen it two weeks ago hell you couldn't walk through it lol I've cleaned all the junk out its now out on the pile a bit of organization and it will be back in order I'm working on getting my barn water proof and a lot will go back out there but I had to put it somewhere lol

And as for the bed it actually weighs less now that I was able to take all the structure out that I had to put in just to keep the aluminum bed half ass together I'll save the aerodynamics for the flatcad bonneville car lol

loudbang likes this.
  10. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Scott you never cease to amaze me you always seem to find the good in things my shop might not be organized but there is a helluva collection of kool stuff that all has a place to go on projects to come I'll have some better pics tonight

55belairx2 and powrshftr like this.
  11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Well,the thing is,if you're associated with it,it's probably setting the bar pretty high for coolness...lol

You've got a knack for finding the coolest shit,making it even better,and being one of the funnest (not even a word,but whatever) guys to hang out with ever.

If we don't get pitted next to you and Salty and David and Jim with the Vette at the Meltdown I'm gonna be frickin bummed.
    You guys are a huge part of what makes the event so amazing.

Scott

12. 55chieftain

55chieftain

In at 42, at least made it under 50 this year , sent in before 6am so there has been quite a bit of response early right off the bat. I didn't feel like staying up past midnight 2 nights in a row LOL. Had to get up at 5 the next morning for a long trip. Parts are accumulated , now I just have to get some work done. At least taking out the inner fenderwells and battery to trunk for some fenderwell headers .
    My first passes in my car after the build were at the Meltdown so this event really means alot to me and will continue to go and support it as long as they have it.

13. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I'm that guy, does it take a while for them to process pre-registrations? I did't get a chance to sign up until later in the day. Perhaps caught sleeping at the tree??

loudbang likes this.
  14. If its organized, you ain't working much, or very hard. If its ass over tea kettle, your getting some stuff done!

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am sure they are flooded with registrations. I have not heard what number I am either.
    Thought I was going to the race not in a race to sign up.

16. .., and if you have the latest buck you shot, hanging in your shop with XX'Ss over its eye's, your either Dave Pellisier, or a close neighbor.

powrshftr likes this.
  17. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

In my former life I raced bicycles. Some events it was a race before the race to get in. If I don't make the cut no big deal. I'll know next year to be at the ready! Lessons learned. Guess I guy can always go and show support even if he/she can't rip off a pass.

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Last year I pulled one of my cars because of a way to get them there.
    I asked who got in because I pulled a car and they told me that they sent email to all over the cut off to bring there cars.
    I believe these MDA guys want every body to show up with or with out a car to race.
    They have a car show and a swap meet to boot.
    And if one can't find someone to bench race with or give you a hand on your car or tell you about there car they must not get it.

19. altered59lark

altered59lark
    from cincinnati

Who's ready to race? Making some changes should be all good and faster for this year! Or is everyone scared of the monster!!!!!! Best group of guys in racing in this time period!

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Should I be scared?

21. altered59lark

altered59lark
    from cincinnati

Only if I'm in the right lane and it darts left hahahaha

55belairx2 and saltflats like this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well I will make sure you get a good rear end view and I should be safe.

55belairx2 likes this.
  23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What did the Lark run last year?

24. altered59lark

altered59lark
    from cincinnati

11.13 with doing big wheelies....hopefully be low 10s. Not super fast but I'm happy with it for being my first car I ever built from bottom up. Just out to have fun with the guys!

25. Well, we won't get any points for preregistration reaction time, just checked in a couple hours ago. I hope its just Paul handing out car #'s. While I was typing, one of the bad voices took over the key board, and asked "if we could come to the Meltdown Drags, and blow Jiffy Pops doors off"? This may not bode well for at least one of the Panneton bros. If Jebb had his thinking cap on, he'll still let me come as I'm a tenth slower than Marc in the wheel house.

26. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Hey guys, just a quick update on registration...

HOLY CRAP did we get a lot of people sending in their e-mails. I am about 1/3 of the close to 300 registrations sent in. We are working on it...I will get some more responses out each night/morning before or after I have to go to the job that puts the food on the table and the gas in the car...

I should be fully caught up by the end of the week.

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

I swore I was gonna get mine in first this year,typed it all out two hours early,and all I had to do was press send,but obviously Davey cuts a WAAAAAY better light than I do.....lol!:)

Scott

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

I would love to be the guy in the other lane on one of those big wheelie passes!:)
    LOVE that car!!!!

See you at the Meltdown!:)

Scott

loudbang likes this.
  29. altered59lark

altered59lark
    from cincinnati

Thanks buddy!!!! Ready for a good time!

30. Saxxon

Saxxon

I was in Terrace Bay Ontario for their yearly Dragfest a few weeks after Meltdown. The Scout was running 10.70's with big wheel stands. I had guys come up to me after a test n tune pass and tell me they were in the other lane and didn't launch. They just sat there and watched the show. A Honda Civic guy said he thought he treed me and then watched me go by at the 80 ft mark with the front end still in the air.

Didn't stay for the eliminations day (Sunday) as I got a head start on my 10 hr trip home. A friend of mine who knows the organizers very well passed on the message that the biggest complaint they heard on Sunday was that I wasn't there. More than a couple of folks had come Sunday just to see the Scout make a pass.

It's all about the show !!
    Mike Belina