Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking for opinions on metal shaping classes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Hello!
    I'll be hitting the big five-oh this year on April 22, and instead of trying to think up more "stuff" that people can buy for me (that I don't necessarily want), I've already told my wife that I want to take a metal shaping class.

I live in CT, and although I'm not against travelling, a somewhat local class would be easier to attend as well as a little easier on the wallet.

I know that Baleigh Industrial offers classes, as does George Winfield and Wray Schelin, but I have no way to compare classes.

I've done some simple metalworking on my own, and the results have always been good, but I'd like to take it to the next level...metal working is not something that many people do very well, and it's also one of the quickest ways to add value to a vehicle...but it also seems like a challenging skill to master.

I'm NOT looking to start a war of one class vs. another, but I would like to hear from people who may have taken one of the classes, what they learned, and if they feel it was worth it.

Thanks...

Chris

2. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

3. cretin

cretin

It is a challenging skill to master. You can lean about metal shaping for a lifetime, but that's a reason why it's fun and stays interesting.
    Out of your options listed, I would go with Wray Schelin.
    Any other classes I know of are pretty far way from you.

4. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

I agree. Wray is very innovative in his approach. The other set of classes that come to mind involve a Fay Butler/Craig Naff combined class that I remember Ron Covell being involved in a few years ago. There are a number of Shapers doing this now. Even Peter Tommassini has flown over from Australia the last couple of years and held classes. Close to me, too, but scheduling didn`t work for me.
    Probably the one class I would take, if he offered them, would be one with Cass Nawrocki. I even have a bit of an in with Steve Laugtug, thanks to me Inspecting his Lakester at Bonneville.....I would be too shy, though, to be in such a class. I have seen and ran my hands over some pieces made by Cass, and I don`t feel I belong on the same planet.... :oops::).....

5. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

Wray's class is the one you want, he will teach you how to work sheet metal with minimal tools, and you live in ct. No brainier. Went to his class last year, I believe his policy at the time was after you take his class you can work in his shop and learn as much as you want, on his projects. Check out his new shop.

6. Go with Wray, he's a metal shaping genius. I took his class back in June of 2014 and learned so much it was unbelievable. I continue to go up to his shop and learn more as often as i can. His ability to teach and patience with the students is great and second to none. Like someone has mentioned before me he shows how to master the art of metal shaping without the need for really expensive tools. His new shop is located in Charlton, MA and is a car guys paradise, 20,000 sq. ft. of metal shaping heaven. Give him a call, he'd be happy to talk to you about his class:

Wray Schelin
    508-347-7749
    http://www.proshaper.com/

Best of Luck,

-Chris

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Given your level of interest, I recommend taking a class or classes. I did that in the late '90s/early 2000s with Ron Fournier near Detroit. What I learned was well worth my time and money. As long as you train with a knowlegable metalman, it's not so important who they are as the basics are pretty well defined. More advanced classes may be a reason to seek the best your budget will allow.

Ray