Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 chevy rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uponone, Feb 25, 2009.

1. BFMC14

BFMC14

I put a rear end out of a '55 chevy in my '50 Styleline, and it bolted right up perfectly. The only thing I had to do was drill new holes in the perches so the rear end would line up with the stud on the springs and had to get round U-bolts instead of the original square ones. I think I relocated the holes and inch forward and a 1/2 inch inward...cant remember for sure, but it was really easy. 55-57 rears should be the same except I found out the wheel bearings are a different size in the '55 rear for some reason.

2. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

3. BFMC14

BFMC14

Yeah I used the stock springs...I had to remove a section of the sheet metal that they are wrapped with but thats about it. I couldn't notice any difference in ride height. Since then I have added 3 inch adjustable lowering blocks to them tho.

4. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

just get some weld on perches for the s10 rear and you're good to go.
    the 55-57 rears fit right up. just drill a new hole for the pilot pin to center the wheel in the wheelwell.

I had both in my car.

6. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

B body mopar is great fit you have to put spring pads on it but i am running old school L-50 s with plenty of room

7. 209Mayo92

209Mayo92
    from Merced CA

(I was told to look at read diffs from 89 to 92 chevy s-10, you can get them cheap and if you want discs in the rear they are available too, i put one in my 53 Bel Air and it went right in.)

Will these rear ends fit a reverse wheel? I have a 53 bel air and I'm looking to throw on 14x7 supreme or wire wheel. I'm planning on putting air ride and want the wheels to tuck and the stock rear end won't tuck the reverse wheels, only need and inch or two narrower

8. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

The s10 blazer rear I picked up was 59" wide where as the factory rear is 60

9. josh hazelton

josh hazelton

So I have a 49 styline and I have a 55 chevy rear end and it will go right in what all needs done just welding ?

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

In order to "properly position" the rear end, you'll need to re-drill the leaf spring locator pin hole in the spring mount pad 1 1/2 inches forward, and 1/2 inch inward. However, the 1/2 inch inward seemed to cause the springs to "lean in", in our case with a 51 Bus Coupe. Moving the hole 1 1 /2 inches forward helps to center the axle in the wheelhouse. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Slow down

Slow down

Found this list on the net . Pulled a rear end from a 81 Malibu 58in. Going to put in 50 Canadian Pontiac 350/350 . ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451853002.042229.jpg

12. josh hazelton

josh hazelton

So what's the width of mine if the 55 is 60 I was told it's exact and if ur spring lean in mayb do not do the 1/2 inwards and was told that I'll be able to use my stock wheels

13. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Your 49 rear should be 60" as well. If you are going to lower it, Jamco sells blocks that relocate the pin so you can just drop the 55-57 rear in on your original springs. I have a set on my 50 now (awaiting 57 rear) and have the pin set for stock. It's adjustable so you can move it from either position.
    I had one bitch of a time dealing with Jamco but in the end, I'm happy with the product.

14. josh hazelton

josh hazelton

Awesome I have that kit has perches to do I need to weld new perches or just blocks with the pins and new u bolts. I was told it all I needed

15. josh hazelton

josh hazelton

Awesome I have that kit has perches to do I need to weld new perches or just blocks with the pins and new u bolts. I was told it all I needed

16. I used the rear out of an 86 Monte Carlo. It is just a tad narrow than the stock rear and let me use a 15x8 wheel with 255 60 15 tires on the back all tucked up in the wheel well. No rubbing what so ever. The wheel only has 3 and 3/4 back space so it looks real deep. Put the rear in the same time I did a chassis engineering rear spring kit. Best money spent on the car yet.

17. Here it is on my 51. No rubbing and the biggest tire I have seen squeezed into the stock wheel well that doesn't rub.

Attached Files:

18. Maynor

Maynor

How are the disk breaks in the rear working for you. I recently purchased one for my 54 belair and it came with disk breaks

Attached Files:

19. Kansas2517

Kansas2517

So I ran into a snag, I have a 49 chevy 1/2t frame and was going to put a 1990 Camaro rear axle on it., but some one beat me to it at the salvage yard. they have a 1996 rear axle there though. Will that work? I have a 228 in it with the Mustang II IFS up from the then TCI leaf springs for the rear. Also what would I need to do with the torque tube/drive shaft? Would I be able to keep the original or do I need to get something different?

20. Robert Braun

Robert Braun

I have a 1954 chevy 210. The torque tube and rear are all one unit so you will need a new drives haft for the new rearend. Let me know what you ended up with. I've been hunting for a rear for mine for months and can't find one. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G988U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Actually, there IS a way to keep the stock rear end housing, axles, and brakes. BUT, it involves using a 53-54 Corvette third member, and locking down the axle pivots so the rear end will no longer "tilt". Those third members are fairly easy to find, they just cost $$$$$; check those out on E-Bay.. You also need to use an open driveline. Like I said in an earlier post, we used a Tri-Five Chevrolet rear end in the 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe. Many say to use the driveline from a Tri-Five also, but they are far too short. We used a driveline from a mid 60's to early 70's Pontiac Leman's/GTO; it was an elastomer driveline, meaning it was two shafts with rubber injected between them to "cushion" engagement. It was a perfect fit and was 57-1/2" long, IIRC. Chassis engineering frame/motor mounts, a 350 engine, a 28" long aluminum Powerglide (or short shaft TH-350 if that's your trans), and everything fits right.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.