Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A question for 33 - 34 Ford guys

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by millersgarage, Dec 29, 2015.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

um, "a bunch if different 8ba water pumps"??? there are 2, car pumps, and truck pumps.

Actually there are different truck pumps. They have different mounts for the engine. Some are short some are tall and push the engine up an inch or so. 52-53 if I am not mistaken.

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is an example of what you DON'T want. Not only did some asshole install a tuned port Chevvie, but he also saw the need to recess the firewall back about a foot.

[​IMG]

I bought this poor little car like this and I will fix it, I promise.

-Abone.

thirtytwo likes this.
  3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

If you own it ... That means its getting a pontiac....... So now it's got room for a blower !:)

4. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Might have some duplicate pics but this was all that was needed for the '52 Merc fuel pump & stand to fit - barely noticeable & very little cuting.

IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG 150849_10152204186089839_1982045801_n.jpg IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0145.JPG 150849_10152204186089839_1982045801_n.jpg IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0145.JPG 150849_10152204186089839_1982045801_n.jpg IMG_0141.JPG IMG_0143.JPG

5. Pete

Pete

Not trying to be rude

Question......how come you didn't just ask "do I need to modify my firewall to install a flathead"?

Kinda seems like you went fishing for an answer to a question you never asked...but eventually got that answer...

6. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Jeff.

Jumping in at the end here

Whot that geezer that talks fummy sed.

I like what Shamus posted. Follows Kirk and Stew for fitting the boat anchor in the front with the least amount of change.

Also if you leave the pedals but move the firewall you will loose pedal travel and space for you tootsies to go into when you mash them down with your dainty boots

Martyn

7. One thing not mentioned is the crank snout is longer in 37-up engines, so the crank pulley will hit the crossmember. I remedied this by altering a 39-41 pulley and cutting the hoop off the hand crank guide. This problem us not specific to 8BA, but is to a later flathead in a 33/34

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Now that looks like the right answer!

9. 97

There are 48-51 truck, 49 car, and one that fits both 52-53 (54 in Canada ) truck and 50-53/4 car. And I think the Mercury pumps were different again. Wide and narrow belts and high and not so high mounts, and mounts on a different angle.... way more options than just two pumps.

10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

^ Yup bunches of different pumps.

But I think Chris nailed the problem.

11. millersgarage

millersgarage

ok, I'm done here.

My question is, and was, about the cowl. NOT ABOUT HOW TO MOUNT MY ENGINE IN MY CAR.

water pumps are not the fitment issue, the crank pulley is.

My alternator use is due to the clearance needed when running a tri-power, and the cooling fan is mounted there, if I drop the charging system to one side, there goes my fan.

I am running a T-5, not a torque tube. The assembly can go wherever I want it to go.

Prior to this post, I had already decided to put the engine in the chassis the way it fits the chassis best, then fit the body to it as needed. I just needed to know if there was a reason to leave the cowl side panels at full length.I see there is not (if I can believe the HAMB collective)

12. Pete

Pete

Fair enough...... Tha

Huh?

rod1 likes this.
  13. Mart

Mart

The more you can leave stock the better.

Just my opinion.

Do what you want.

If you use 59A parts the motor will fit in without cutting anything. I'd look for another motor before cutting major structural parts out of the body.

You will also probably devalue the car by hacking the body unnecessarily.

The motor in my car fits like Chris shows. Only drawback is that it is not easy to change the belt.

Mart.

14. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

A mid/rear engine installation would solve all problems here.

millersgarage likes this.
  15. rusty valley

rusty valley

a while back when i was thinking of an 8ba for my 34, i did a search here, "8ba in a 34" and lots of information came up. best wishes

16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Every time I see a hot rod with the firewall butchered to fit a later flathead always wonder " why the hell did they do that??!!"

Now I know... I don't understand it ...... but now I know...

17. Rem

Rem

The biggest problem is that the stock front pulley on the stock 21-stud engine is very close to the spring tunnel of the front crossmember, with barely enough room to squeeze the fanbelt on down there. I looked at putting an 8BA in my '34 Tudor but everything came up with having to raise the front to get the 8BA pulley over the top of the crossmember, and as the engine/trans assembly rotates up about the rear mount, the block fouls the bottom of the firewall and the fuel pump stand hits the vertical face. As Chris shows above, even 59A pulleys need trimming to get them down where they should be with the crank lined up with the grille starter hole. If using the original rear trans mount location, there's probably more work getting everything on a stock 8BA in at the front than the back.

18. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I'm gonna build a 34 and I'm only going to cut off one wing. I have it figured that I can piss off everybody and I mean everybody with that one move.

Some of you will be pissed that I cut it, some of you will be pissed that I didn't cut and when you notice I only did one side the rest of you will be pissed I didn't do both sides the same.

BTW that diamond pleated firewall is sweet wonder where he got that idea........

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  19. Then you only need one girl.
    That's awesome man, I laughed my ass off.

20. These guys have an extra now. :D
    image.jpg

BradinNC likes this.
  21. Ok, since y'all pissed off millers garage trying to tell him that his 8ba will fit while you're really trying to learn that it won't,,,,
    Can we get back to chopping the wings off the cowl again

22. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

1st off, sorry if my posts knocked this thread off track, but I more or less sympathize with you on this issue. I would say after seeing all the info gathered, that the design of the wings further strengthens the cowl area. If you can find a way to cut them off tastefully, make your hood functional, and without compromising the strength of that area, then just cut them off and make your firewall fit your engine. Save the parts , cause there are some hacked up cowls and firewalls out there. Believe me. Mine is a hacked up aftermarket firewall and that's double bad.