Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Daily Driver Period Correct Traditional Hot Rod Time Machine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Nov 13, 2015.

1. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

THAT FREAKIN BLOWS, glad your ok hope the A isn't too bad

Hitchhiker likes this.
  2. mike bowling

mike bowling

I've loved that truck from the start- hope it's not too badly damaged ( and you too).

F#ckin' civilians! Best wishes for a good Holiday season and a happy (and safe) New Year. Mike B.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  3. First off it was a very low speed accident. Everyone is okay. I can drive home. The two new cars involved are far worse off. The at fault probably has 3-5K worth of damage and the parked van probably 3k ish.

Okay, I was sitting at a stop light. Doing the creep forward bit, as the traffic shuffles forward when you dont make the light. Don't know what the guy was distracted by, or if he was trying to get thru the space to take a right turn and didn't know the size of the car.... I think more likely distracted. but he tried to avoid the accident by going between me and a work van parked on the side of the road. I'm glad he didn't rear end me head on, as the damage would have been much worse. he got my passenger rear fender. Not bad. I'm pretty pissed. But shit happens. The fender has already been repaired from previous and worse damage over it's many years. Thats actually part of the character I love about it. I'll be able to straighten it out and you'll never know, I'm more upset that I'll have to blend some paint and fake some patina or what not. We'll see if I get anything out of it. They car is insured to the owner, but the guy driving it isn't the owner....I've already started a claim so we'll see how that goes.
    20151218_155743.jpg
    IMG_20151218_151538.jpg

brad2v and falcongeorge like this.
  4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Glad it's not much worse, and that noone is hurt.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  5. flatford39

flatford39

Doesn't look too bad...Little fender bender and no frame damage luckily, but dude you need a new driveway. You have some serious divots.

leadfootloon and Hitchhiker like this.
  6. i wouldn't touch it.........adds to the history.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  7. cool! it definitely has that look. Mine you can tell is new. but its black( pretty much the only t shirt color i wear and still pretty cool.

8. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

WOW, dodged a HUGE bullet there. Good thing it was side swipe instead of a rear-ender. It always scares me how these knuckleheads try to maneuver around other cars just because they can't wait.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  9. I have a used stock motor in it now. I'm not really sure what I am gonna do. I have a rebuilt motor, that I had some problems with. I think of my own making. So I stuck this one in for now. It has a 7:1 Super Winfield head, winfield SU1A cam, a winfield downdraft and a old mallory distributor. I have that in a stand and hope to fix it soon. I'm toying with building another car around that engine and finding a police head for this, I already have other downdraft manifolds I could run on this one. Just kinda toying with what I should do. I'm just about ready to start getting that taken care off. I'll probably at least run it how It is for a month or two longer.

I think if I could change anything at this point it might be more gears. Though honestly with the tall tires it runs out of poop before it can top out rpm. I've had it at 68mph in 3rd on the freeway downhill over the ship canal bridge on I5 full out. would not do any more. A t-5 would be awesome in this thing. I also want to get some interior in it. Maybe some stick on sound damping in places.

It's factory, it's rubber or something over cloth "Headliner". kinda convertible type material maybe?

I want a heater. I'm thinking of investing in a warm blanket at a new hat.

thanks man.

10. rental.

Thanks everyone. I definitely feel I dodged a bullet today. I'm feeling a little sore now, no worse than sleeping on the couch for the night, and naturally I want to fix it and pop the dent out and have it straightened enough that you would never know. But will have to wait out the insurance while they figure this all out. I have a feeling it's gonna be a mess. I'll hold out for a good settlement on the damage, repair it myself and put the money back into the truck. Maybe even enough to buy a couple of gallons of shiny paint, some thinner, and a few nice brushes.:confused:

Hotrodmyk, brad2v and ROCKER77 like this.
  11. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad it wasnt too bad and you are okay. Sucks big time though.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  12. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I bet the car that hit you was TOTALLED!

13. chiro

chiro

Stock gas tank in cowl? How did you get it to stop leaking around the cowl? I want to drive mine in the rain and weather too after the build is done and don't want water on my electricals. Great thread bro.

Andy

14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Thanks for the good news update! Hope the insurance works out for youo_O. Gary:)

15. Thanks man. Definitely sucks but could have been way worse.

It's a 2015, so still has a lot of value. I doubt it's totaled. but had it been a 10 year old car I am sure it would be.

Yep, stock tank. All I did was take it out and replace the stock welting following the directions in the restorations guides. Seems to be sealing good.

thanks! Me too!

16. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Thanks for posting this thread. Your truck looks wonderful and it is great to see it being used properly. I believe that vehicles deteriorate very quickly if they are not used regularly. I had an old British Motorcycle (BSA) which I used daily for years. After about two years I had fixed or modified the usual parts that could break. More importantly, I was so used to it I could tell if anything unusual was going to break, just by feeling little changes in noise or vibrations! That's a very satisfying relationship to have with a car or bike.
    Anyway, good luck and here's to many more miles.

Donald A. Smith and Hitchhiker like this.
  17. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Just found this thread Matt. Truck is looking good, and hopefully when I get back you'll have that little narf taken care of and i can get my daily '39 up there to prove to those nay-sayers that its doubly possible without modern convenience.

...and then we can compare our vintage clothing, hair, and other character faults.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoying this thread. Live in Seattle with no windshield wipers? And no heater? Oh man, that is hard core, badass, man-up shit! Love your wooden emergency brake, too.

Hotrodmyk likes this.

19. Matt glad that was an easy fix and you didn't yank the trans. I had that tower sitting on my shelf for years, good to see it find a home.

20. pitman

pitman

:eek: Would you name any of us as a beneficiary? ~ 70 mph? Them brakes, tires...phew! Live to drive another day! :D

falcongeorge likes this.
  21. Sounds like a fun night of drinking!

Rain-x is the bees knees.

I gotta thank you again for all the help you've been man! or should I be cursing you as you are the one that got me into this mess!!! Hahaha

brand new firestones bias ply and 1940 ford hydro brakes and it stops and drives better than my 72 K5 blazer. It will put you thru the windshield if I stomp on it. I don't see the problem! hahaha

Donald A. Smith and pitman like this.
  22. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

So did you get that fender back into shape yet??

23. Can't touch it till the insurance is settled.

24. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

Damn them insurance agents!

25. It's cool. It's totally usable. Barely noticeable. I'm still driving it!

cfmvw and ROCKER77 like this.
  26. Very cool thread! Sorry you got tagged.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  27. First time I knew about rain x I was driving a new to me truck similar to yours at night in upstate NY and was raining pretty good and did not need wipers. Wondered what the heck kinda windshield it was. LOL. Saw an ad at the motel that night for rain x.
    Oh yeah, it was a 88 reg cab black ranger, 4cyl, 5 speed. Great little truck. I got T boned when a guy ran a stop sign and nevah stopped. Flipped ranger on side so was totaled. Had it rebuilt and 3 mons later got creamed again by outa control sedan on slush/ice road. Had it fixed and 3 mons after that the oil pump failed and lost the top end. Put in 90 wt oil and traded for a 92 ranger.
    I like your truck and used to dress like you in the 50's/60's cause evryone else did. LOL

Hitchhiker likes this.
  28. cfmvw

cfmvw

Glad that you weren't hurt and the damage was relatively minor. I'm always a bit nervous when I drive my '60 VW; people just don't pay attention when they are behind the wheel - too busy with their cell phones. Being tailgated by the SUV's (usually with all their lights on) is the worst, but I've also been cut off and even run off the road a couple times.

Hitchhiker and CapeCodBob like this.
  29. Smokeshow

Smokeshow

Looking good! I drove 2 old 70's trucks for dailys for a while and you really get good at working on them when you rely on them for the next day :) You truck is super cool and too bad about being hit but looks like it can be fixed! Keep up the good work

Hitchhiker likes this.
  30. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Man, you got it right! Really like your way of thinking! I've drove a 56 Chevy, clone to my high school car every day for a long time and it was 1966 every time I was in it. Thanks!

Hitchhiker likes this.