Register now to get rid of these ads!

Deleted threads

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by AlmightyCrash, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

You'd think members would be afforded the courtesy of a private message or notification when their threads are deleted... Especially one focused on finding classic wide whitewall tires in a stock size for a stock rim.
    Is this forum not to share information and learn from one another?

Perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of this message board. Anyone willing to clear things up feel free to post below.

MNOutlawCustoms likes this.
  2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes something you post just goes away as if it never existed and you are left hanging, wondering what the hell you did wrong. While I realize the mods have a tough, thankless job, I do think sometimes threads or posts are pulled or shut down with no explanation........leaving us to wonder.

Don

AlmightyCrash likes this.
  3. badshifter

badshifter

The purpose of the board is laid out very clearly, traditional hot rods and customs. It is not just an old car and classic forum. 20 inch wide white walls for your truck may be a neat idea, but not really related to this forum. As they always say, it's not personal, its editorial. We all get deleted from time to time, no big deal.

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

One thing that never works is complaining about deleted threads...

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've said it before : "Common Courtesy". The "H.A.M.B." suffers from the ailments that afflict a lot of successful enterprises; Everybody wants to be part of it. People find it and see that there is this huge reservoir of knowledge and want to participate. So, they post O/T things. As I have also said before, the concept of the H.A.M.B. is difficult for outsiders to grasp at first, so mistakes will be made. An email or "PM" explaining what went wrong would go a long way towards solving this problem. A simple automatic "Your post has been deleted because it is Off-Topic" would help a lot, in my opinion.

6. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

Stock trucks not accepted. Understood.
    I will pull all of my truck threads.

I should probably yank the Merc too, since it has a camaro front clip.

I apologize for bringing the wrong vehicles to the party.

At least I left my 69 Firebird out of it. Lol.

If I can find a vehicle that fits the proper parameters, I will post it up.

7. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw your post. based on the current state of Street Rods, 20 inch rims mean :confused:.
    I actually only looked to see what it was all about before it got closed down.
    I have a radical custom 51 fleetline...........found out I used the wrong tail lights............that was before I understood what this joint is all about

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I remember when posting a thread about a reality car show would result in a automatic delete and yet there was a thread about the show "Cuban Chrome", which as far as I know did not get deleted so in my honest opinion, it's not what you post but what the "post police" is willing to let be. Some deleted posts are understandable, some aren't but it's typical of those in power that they have the say-so.

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's the very reason I will no longer post any new threads. You ask a question about a time period you didn't live in because you want to know about something, it gets blown out of proportion by a certain few know it all's, and then it gets deleted. I'll just read what others post and add an occasional comment every once in a while.

509garyd and AlmightyCrash like this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Typically, I do... But I'm off for the holidays and acting a bit lazy at the moment. Did you post something about white walls on 20" wheels? Maybe I jumped the gun...

Let me know. We are pretty reasonable around here... And make mistakes like everyone else...

11. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

I did, but not new style 20s or low profiles.
    Stock split rim 20s on my 49 2 ton Dually.

12. 2 ton dual wheel trucks aren't exactly traditional hot rod or custom material, no mater what age.

IMHO.

bowie, wbrw32 and Muttley like this.
  13. AMEN....

bowie likes this.
  14. MNOutlawCustoms

MNOutlawCustoms

I would truly appreciate some kind of notice as to why my posts get deleted...So I know what not to do next time. I understand the editorial aspect and I respect that, but I must say sometimes as a new member I feel unwelcome. My last post that was deleted was about a mustang II front end...is that OT?

I am a shop owner, but I only ask questions on here about our personal builds or our friend's builds, if they aren't members. We don't always have all the answers just because we are in the business.
    I am so impressed with the knowledge here, and intimidated but I love to learn so I keep coming back...

Heidi

hotrodharry2 and AlmightyCrash like this.
  15. MNOutlawCustoms likes this.
  16. MNOutlawCustoms

MNOutlawCustoms

Thanks!
    :)
    I have looked at them in the past but I will go read more in depth, I might have missed something. ;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

guidelines... somehow I think a lot of people here have not read or do not understand these... #5 especially...

Guidelines:
    1. If in doubt, don't post it.

2. Stay on-topic and relevant with your posts; OT posts aren't generally appreciated by our membership.

3. Gotta easy question? Try using the search function first.

4. While we don't require "introductions," some members do appreciate them so it might be a good idea for you to do onehere. Just introduce yourself and let folks know what you are all about.

5. As mentioned throughout these guidelines, the H.A.M.B. focuses on TRADITIONAL hot rods and customs. Posts pertaining to traditionally inspired, but not quite period perfect belong on the main forum found here. Please note that we don't focus on things such as modern fuel injected motors, big-inch wheels, frame clips, after market independent suspensions, etc... at all on the H.A.M.B.. As such, posts that stray away from the "traditional inspired" will be deleted.

18. MNOutlawCustoms

MNOutlawCustoms

I am not arguing that fact but it seems like some are allowed post things found in #5 and others aren't, and therein comes the editorial aspect and the reason for my post in this thread. I simply would like to be notified when I break rules so I know what is acceptable and what is forbidden.

19. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

Re: #5...

So to be traditional, you must first customize beyond traditional...trading stock "big-inch" wheels for aftermarket little ones.
    Your lack of logic is a contradiction within itself.

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

it is pretty obvious that the "big inch " wheels referred to in number 5 are modern billet wheels.

just to be clear, there is a report button on every thread, when members find a problem they use that button to report it to us. we do not scrutinize every thread for rule violations. that is how some things slip through. This board has a very narrow focus and it takes effort on everyones part to keep the board on topic and relevant

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

And yet my thread which was specifically about stock wheels was deleted.
    I'm just trying to understand everything.

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

take a look here, not a single 2 ton truck in the bunch..... so if you post about 20 inch wheels we are bound to jump to conclusions.

1. To help sort of define what sorts of cars should be featured in this forum, I decided it might be beneficial to provide a definition of sorts. And rather than use words, I'll use pictures.

This forum is dedicated to cars built in the vain of:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

www.atomicindustry.com
      RYAN, AUG 30, 2013EDITDELETEIP!REPORT!
      SHARE POST#2LIKE+ QUOTEREPLY

4ever18, Stogy, volvobrynk and 1 other person like this.
    2. [​IMG]
      Ryan
      ADMINISTRATOR
      from Austin, TX
      Staff Member

And a few more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. 46stude

46stude

I ain't got a dawg in this fight, but I am curious- is asking about 20" vintage truck tires a go or no-go on the HAMB? It's a grey area, to be sure.

24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Let me help try to help you understand.

1st - at any time you can reach out and private converse with a Moderator for a explanation.......
    you certainly can post in the Q+A as you have, but please understand that other members can post their opinion too, which past history tends to inflame emotions if there are disagreements. Just wanted to you to know that.

2nd - when Moderators delete posts - we have the ability to click on a DOT that says " notify poster of the reason for deleting " and type the reason, which I believe gets sent to the poster.
    I certainly try to every time to hit that DOT to send a explanation of why it was deleted.
    Do I miss sometimes - possibly - and apologies if I missed or miss..... but never intentionally not to.

We get reports from fellow HAMB'rs daily of posts that are completely off topic and some that are questionable.

3rd - Traditional Hot Rods and Customs from the 30's through the 60's......... cars and basic trucks.
    Yep - pretty narrow focus...... no lack of logic - no contradiction.

It was NOT a personal decision - please understand that.....it was a editorial decision to remove
    your 2 ton commercial truck post.

We have 250,000 plus members.
    We look at the big picture on this on various posts and requests.........
    Big commercial trucks are on the outer picture of "traditional" cars and basic trucks on the HAMB.
    If we allow 1 outside the "traditional car and basic truck post" then we WILL get other requests.
    I guarantee you based on history we will as we have over the years.
    If we allow your commercial 2 ton truck - then we'll get a request for a line bucket truck , a dump truck, a crane truck, tow truck so on and so forth............

That's the picture.

Ultimately it is Ryan's decision what does or does not get posted - but that is the picture Moderators "work" with.

If at any time in the future if there is anything else that you wonder or have a question about, just send a private conversation and I'll be glad to help you.

I hope this has helped in clarifying.

lothiandon1940 and AlmightyCrash like this.
  25. Stock wheels yes...on a 2 ton dual wheel truck. This place isn't for dump truck, semi trucks, locomotives, aircraft, graders, tractors or anything else that might come with wheels.

Pre 1965 type hot rods and customs were built with cars and up to 1/2 ton pickups. Not trucks.

gwhite likes this.
  26. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

Thanks, corncobcoupe...and everyone else who helped explain things. I understand now. I guess I never viewed my truck as being that big, despite the heavier axles and weight rating.
    I am entirely at fault, and I apologize.
    I will go buy a vehicle that allows me to participate.

For those following along, this was the truck in question...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451878309.486894.jpg

I will make no more posts regarding this vehicle.

I will point out, however, that I DID ask about the truck having a place here prior to posting anything about it...and was assured it was acceptable.

MNOutlawCustoms likes this.
  27. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok - I went back and looked at some things and see where the confusion came about.

There was a post pictures of cool tow trucks that started about 9 years ago that has about 46 pages of posts....basically pictures.......and from that I see Almighty that you picked up on it, not from a picture stand point but from your actual truck...... a few posts here and there that sort of flew under the radar as far as the "Traditional" point.........
    Since in your case was more than pictures but a work in progress with posts....it was brought to moderators attention on it being outside the standard " Traditional" Hot Rod and Custom car / regular truck main focus theme.....

It was also pointed out about a year ago Almighty that there was a social group to join to enjoy.......

Social groups were set up as a nice side bar for guys who really get into let's say outside the "Traditional Hot Rod and Custom ERA" cars and regular trucks to enjoy.

The big truck activity can be found in this social group..........

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/social-forums/coes-cab-over-engine.283/

Sorry for the confusion.......

Hopefully this really clears things up on all of this..........

lothiandon1940 and AlmightyCrash like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.