Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How to win some beer... the roadster buildoff

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by pinkynoegg, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Still seems like a happy ending

2. b-bob

b-bob

You may not have made it, but look at how close you are because you tried. If it wasn't for the deadline you would probably wouldn't be as close as you are.
    Have a great weekend and carry on in a couple of days.

3. mgermca

mgermca

I had fun looking in on both threads every couple of days. If I was down there I'd buy you both a beer, you deserve it! Now get back to work!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man I was pulling for yall, but let me tell you about making it through the gate after a 36 hour strait jamb best sleep I ever had at the Round Up . My friends still show me picture of me sawing logs ,it was first time they ever seen me pass out with out alcohol . Work got in my way so I didn't make it this year . It brought back memory's good and bad watching these cars mostly good ! but the guys that just go buy cars will never know what it feels like bringing one to life ! Keep up the good work !

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Donald A. Smith and volvobrynk like this.
  5. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I appreciate all the kind words fellas. Terry, I can relate to passing out at roundup. I was useless most of the time. We put up a canopy and I rested my eyes for just a minute. Next thing I know, over an hour had passed. Oh well...

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. krkx93

krkx93

Yea, He's not joking. I walk back from the swap meet to find pinkynoegg (by the fence) slumped over like a sack of potatos
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429453174.394352.jpg

7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

It's all good, we all need to sleep!
    But the girl in the foreground, did she help too?
    Girl that dig in (build) is the definition of keepers!

8. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

She is definately a keeper. Helped out on the car more than any other girl I know would. She is passed out from the margaritas at the show tough (see bottom left of picture!) Haha

9. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Hey what's up you guys deer hunting or building cars ?

nickk, volvobrynk and kevinwalshe like this.
  10. ... haha. Awesome trip. Great posts.

11. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

It's been a busy summer and fall. I'll try to get an update for y'all tonight

kevinwalshe and volvobrynk like this.
  12. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Okay as promised, here is an update of what’s been going on in the last 6 months.

So last time this thread was update I had to break the news that we unsuccessfully made our way down to Austin. A lot of stuff has happened between April and now. We got back and continued work on the car. @krkx93 made a big move up to East Texas back in May which has really helped with getting the car on the road. Unfortunately with the good comes the bad and I lost one of my best friends, my grandfather. It hit especially hard since he was my mentor and roommate. But the sun continues to come up every day so the show must go on. Below is a picture of both @krkx93 and my car meeting for the first time. Pretty exciting stuff!

[​IMG]

One of the first things I tackled was the gas tank mounting. I made some simple stands that go between the subframe cross plates and they work like a charm.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Then we decided to focus on getting the car where we could take it around the yard. We got the car to quickly crank for the first time. It’s funny how many awesome unexplainable moments you experience in a build. This was one of those moments.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I worked on getting the advancing weights into the magneto. It worked great for the initial startup but became evident that something wasn’t right when the timing started going crazy and not wanting to start later in the week. I pulled the mag and sent it to a guy in the Dallas area for a freshen up and to put the weights in correctly. It came back working perfect (minus the UPS guy throwing it around and cracking the aluminum case). After putting the mag back in we were able to drive around the yard. It was around 10 on a work night and we had no lights so Kaleb had to work a flashlight to watch the gauges and road objects while I drove. This was once again, one of those unexplainable moments.

kidcampbell71, hipster and volvobrynk like this.
  13. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Now it was tough to take the car back apart but it needed to be done in order to build the exhaust. I decided to bite the bullet and go 2.5 inch stainless for this build. I have a new found appreciation for exhaust builders because fitting all the turns and going up and down under the car was not an easy task. I also came up with a little helper for making the butt welds a lot easier. I just took a stainless exhaust band and cut a slot in it to tack the tubing while holding it all together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the exhaust was all put together we set the body on some flat ground and made everything fit way better than it was before. After slapping the body back on the car I let @krkx93 go to town on filling in the dash so while it was out I rigged up some vital gauges and go her driving around again. We decided to take some pics while we could.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We then tackled the lights and finished up some wiring. we also decided to reverse the rear spring eyes which showed us just how weak the spring was. It decided to break in half so I had to order an aftermarket one just to be safe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Car looks nice, but grill needs to come down. It shouldn't go uphill from cowl to grill.

You did good.

v8juice, FlatJan and KiwiGlen like this.
  15. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I needed a new windshield since the one that came with the car was cut way too short back in the day. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a 2 inch chop chromed one in stock anywhere so we decided to chop a bare metal one ourselves. It came out pretty good for never chopping one before. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures during this process but it wasn’t anything most everyone hasn’t seen on here before.

Next came the gauges. You could say I have a slight problem when it comes to twin blues so I figured I would go overboard with this car. Making them all fit proved to be a challenge but I think it turned out well. I also threw in a really simple wood floor to get me going for a while.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By this time the Bayou Roundup was a week away. I still had never driven down the street so the Friday before the show I drove the car to work. It was a huge hit with all of my co-workers and most of the morning was spent giving rides all around town. They all dealt with my obsessive talking about the car and barely awake mornings so it was the least I could do.

[​IMG]

After work that day we were off to South Louisiana. 8 hours and one blowout later we rolled into New Iberia around 2 in the morning. A quick shuteye and we were up for the big day. Drove from New Iberia up to Lafayette with no problems and talked and met with some cool people. Not to mention the cool cars. It’s definitely one of the shows to make next year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We made our way back to Texas feeling extremely accomplished and in need of some rest. Since the Bayou Roundup, we have taken a slight break, working on the cars whenever we get a chance. We are tinkering with the deck lid. Below is a picture with Kaleb’s lid on my car. My deck lid is completely out of whack and will need some work. Currently it seems to be a couple of inches too long but I think that happened during shipping because it’s slightly squashed too. I am toying with the idea of changing tires for some more period Firestones as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I’ll try to be a little better about updating the thread more often. And we will be in Austin during the Lonestar Roundup!

oh and here is an extra pic of the motor, just cause.
    [​IMG]

16. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

yeah I've been debating on how I'm going to fix that. its mainly in the support rods so I think I might be able to get away with lowering the front mount and make it more pleasing to the eyes. The grill and radiator are as far down as they can go being stock height.

17. Do not know if it my computer or the pics, but most of them are gone on the first four pages. Anybody else having this problem? This is a great thread.

18. Yes, I experienced the same problem.

19. I just had a look on page 1 and yes, many of the pics seem to be missing with only the broken image icon showing. Perhaps the images have been shifted?

You're right, this is a great thread and one of the many that inspire me to build a roadster.

Glen.

20. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

dang not sure what happened there. ill try to do some investigating and see if i can fix the problem pictures

studebaker46 likes this.
  21. studebaker46

studebaker46

this renews my faith in the younger crowd looks like they know what they are doing. btw who won the beer

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

Looks good. Who won the beer?

23. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

@studebaker46 @loudbang post number 118 explains the ending to the April roundup which was the original bet.

I appreciate the kind words guys. We are just a couple of kids who would rather build hot rods than sit in jail because we had too much time on our hands to get in trouble

loudbang likes this.
  24. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

As far as the pictures in the beginning of the thread, I'm not sure why some of them are broken. I'll be going through them slowly and re linking to make them work again, one by one...so it'll take some time

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  25. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I've been steady working on the car the last few months. It seems like the little detail stuff takes the most time and is the least satisfying because the results aren't near as apparent. a small list of the things I did is below along with pictures:
    Body structure supports
    [​IMG]
    Deck lid
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Body bumpers - i'll be doing a tech on how I got these bumpers in holes that are entirely too small...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Door latches
    [​IMG]
    Transmission tunnel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wood floor
    [​IMG]
    Renewed my Alliance membership. The new tags are freaking awesome. @Ryan and crew outdid themselves for sure!
    [​IMG]
    New @saltflatmatt hemi intake
    [​IMG]
    New (better look) tires and wheels
    [​IMG]
    and new hubcaps I got off of a fellow hamber
    [​IMG]

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  26. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I also took the car out today since the weather was finally not horrible. Last I heard we had close to 10 inches in the last week. I couldn't help but take a bunch of pictures. I also managed to register for the Lonestar Roundup. I hope to see a bunch of people there this year!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

loudbang, Squablow and volvobrynk like this.
  27. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I also took a short idle video...nothing special

texkbc and Jeff34 like this.
  28. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Amazing job. Looks like a ton of work but your effort is paying off. Great roadster!

29. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Very nice work . I like it a lot. Where did the hub caps come from ? MACS ? They look really good on your car. Keep up the good work. Its really neat to see young people involved in Hot Rods. Will keep watching it. Bob..........

30. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I bought them from a fellow hamber on the classifieds here. They are from vintique which I think mac's does sell. The hamber I got them from painted them before I got them