Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1949 Olds 88 project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baron, Sep 27, 2012.

1. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Hey Baron,
    Did you ever swap in those 3.42 gears? If so did you run it down the track yet?
    Paul

2. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Paul. I did and have run it at two of the Nostalgia Events at NED this year. With the 4.11s, best was a 14. 072 / 100.79 mph. With the 3.42s, best time is a 14.169 /99.10 mph. Love the torque of the Olds motor.
    Baron

3. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

That's not bad at all!! I got my eye on that car!!! haha IF only I didn't have 2 kids in Gordon College......LOL.

4. Arkas

Arkas
    from Germany

Hey there Baron,
    I'm planing on a muncie swap for the 303 next winter. At the moment i'm getting parts and gathering information.Did you use a second stock brake pedal assembly as clutch pedal? And what kind of clutch cylindre did you use? (I saw 6:1 ratio on a previous post, push or pull type? And do you maybe have a parts nr?) :)

5. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure do. I used the stock clutch pedal in my car as it was originally a standard shift. I used a Wilwood Master Cylinder, #260-1304 , 3/4”bore, and slave cylinder, #260-1333 ( pull type). I had used this same combination before, so I knew it would work like it should. With this info and looking at the pictures, you should be good to go. Let me know how you make out. Good luck.
    Baron

Master Cylinder Mount

A 6 to 1 ratio is recommended with a 3/4” bore master cylinder. Example: If your

pedal measures 12" from the pivot point to the pedal foot pad, you should NOT connect your

push rod to the pedal any further than 2" down from the pivot point of the pedal.

IMPORTANT** Accurately measure the distance between the pedal and the firewall, and

adjust travel stop so pedal does not exceed the distance of full clutch release. If your vehicle

does not have an adjustment for pedal travel, then you will have to fabricate a pedal stop.

Excess pedal travel after clutch disengagement can cause the master cylinder or slave

cylinder to fail.

6. Arkas

Arkas
    from Germany

Excellent information, thanks a lot.

7. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Hey Baron,

I was up in Beverly, MA on Sunday and while driving I saw your car! Too Funny. I cant believe he is parking it outside!

Attached Files:

8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep. I hear it all the time. Too bad. Being outside in the snow and ice sure takes it toll on these old cars. His plan was to get it painted this year, so maybe this spring it will go to a body shop and get the attention it deserves.