Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new (to me) 1958 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnnee D., Nov 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

thanks, so far I am pleasantly surpised all that coating protected it...used air to get dirt and more dirt out of all the nooks a crannies...tons of crap there and so far no big rust issues... it's only the beginning...

hmmm... I really like the look of the blue one higher up...

those dog dish don't look 58ish... here's what I've found for 58 Buicks...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

hate conti kits, don't care for dummy spotlights or antennas...
    interior is all original and I am not replacing anything... gas gauge just sopped working last month, stays on empty so I'll crawl under to check grounding...

thanks for the comments... this week end I should be able to do some more work...
    here's the gen kit I got from eBay, seller was pretty good with post delivery service answering all my questions...
    [​IMG]

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"Shift happens?" Great sig, but Not in a Dynaflow...One range is all ya get.
    Know why the earlier Buicks had portholes in the fenders?
    They were there for when "Dyna Flows..." :D Buick humor.
    My brother had a 'rotund' girl friend. Buick humor didn't go over with her...
    I had a '57 ragtop, dropped 6", pipes, Hollywood 'gypsy' back window.
    Removed the center medallion from that beautiful grille, guys thought it was a "Cal Custom" piece. Cooool ride...

3. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

:D:D:D Buick humor...

btw...just got mail... Xmas from the cat to me!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    michael knight likes this.
  4. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

The Buick dog dish style caps Bruce has were on 60's full size Buicks. Check out youtube for old HiWay Patrol shows to see some 58 Buick patrol cars and lots of other neat period rides.

5. I think the bellflower pipes would look good on your car. The underside of your car looks in amazing condition (thanks undercoating:)).

6. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

i just recently received a 4 set of these as a gift...they are from a '56 two door post ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451432887.225515.jpg
    Kinda cool cause You normally only see the full wheel discs with the red centre...which i really like, but these are neat because they are different

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Very nice, factory trim and paint colour is spot on. I bought my 46 Olds project from a fellow with a 57 Buick Century, another gorgeous car. Love that rear 3 window look.

8. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

Those hubcaps look good!

9. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

So...it's early May and I finally finished a couple of projects on the Buick...
    Generator: converted to Alternator, all plugged in, conections made and it works!
    [​IMG]

Fender wells: cleaned, scraped the undercoating, painted, no rust!!! small victory...
    [​IMG]

Then I reclaimed the kitchen to rebuild the carb...never done it before...it took me a few hours as the inside was real dirty and a couple of screws were rusted out...
    [​IMG]

et voilà!!!! after a couple of tries it runs...
    [​IMG]

took it out for a quick spin...seems to work ok for now...
    [​IMG]

Next on the list:
    Dual exhausts
    electronic ignition
    Maybe a new oil filter system, still have the original canister and I prefer twist on, apparently a 59 set up is jsut bolt on...
    That's it for me now, just waiting for the weather to improve to start driving it...
    need to check gas gauge, stopped working...
    A plus
    JD

Arabie777, michael knight and MOTOV8N like this.
  10. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

Real nice to see the progress, man!! Keep up the good work! ...such a cool automobile!!

11. I always liked those big assed Buicks, dying to see more, looks great so far.

12. Johnnee, your shop looks like mine when I am working on a station wagon. Always tripping over stuff.LOL. Bruce.

13. Rockey, I still got them. I would like to see some get use out of them. Bruce.
    [email protected]

14. Well that's what was on mine.Keep us up dated on your work.Shes a beauty.Bruce.