Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Quiet Fuel Pump's and mounting location

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cDuck28Z, Dec 29, 2015.

1. cDuck28Z

cDuck28Z

Good evening guys,

I'm looking for a quiet fuel pump and need a little advice. Searching around, I've found that a lot of you guys recommend the Carter P4070. I'm running a fairly stock (no more than 400hp) sbc with a Demon 650 and a T-56 trans. I really don't want to hear any humming or buzzing from my fuel pump and would definitely be mounting it with rubber grommets to my frame. Do you guys think this is my best option as far as affordability/reliability/performance?

If so, I have a quick question on mounting. My fuel cell sits about as low as possible for clearance, and there's no way I could get the inlet of that fuel pump below my tank outlet. Would it be acceptable to mount the pump slightly (the height of the pump) above the outlet of my fuel cell? Or, could I invert the fuel pump so the intake and outlet are on the bottom?

I would love to run an in-tank pump, but due to my budget and deadline, it's definitely not an option for me unfortunately.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!! Love this form, you guys rock!

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like you may want to look into a pre pump in the tank.
    Or just an in tank pump.

3. squirrel

squirrel

A mechanical pump, mounted on the engine, is pretty darn quiet. you didn't give any reasons why you can't run one....????

loudbang and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

cDuck -

Yes. You can mount a pump at the outlet level without problem. It should still be as low per the tank bottom as possible, but there's no need for it to scrape the ground..! Safety is also of prime concern.

I've got a semi-loud Carter pump (P4389), very similar to yours on one of my cars. I mounted it to a "mounting plate" with rubber insulation. Then I mounted the mounting plate to the frame...with more rubber insulation.
    While you can hear it, it's not nearly as bad as their rotary pumps mounted directly to the frame. With the engine running, it's hardly noticeable.
    I used old heavy inner tube for the insulation rubber.

Mike

5. I've used these before. No problems, they will suck fuel uphill thru a top mount fuel pick-up.
    Its Not silent, but certainly not a noisy pump. Even quieter if on a sturdy isolating mount.

image.jpg

6. squirrel

squirrel

will that little thing feed a 400 hp mill?

7. cDuck28Z

cDuck28Z

Mechanical pump would be great, but my engine is out of a 99 Tahoe so the manual pump housing is cast shut.

I don't think I can get the pickup to be at the same level as the tank outlet due to the orientation of the pump. Would this small raise be an issue? It's about 4-5" above the outlet.

Fuel Pump.jpg

8. I always mount mine with the actual pump on the bottom and the motor on top.

You don't have to mount the pump below the bottom of the tank it just needs to be close to the fuel level. Close is cool if you have a good pump. I actually had a Mallory 110 that I mounted above the tank on an 11 second car I had in the '90s and drove it every day no problems. We don't always live in a perfect world.

You are not going to find an inline electric fuel pump that is quiet, some are quieter then others but they all make noise. Isolators or not. it is just the nature of the beast.

if you want quiet you may consider a mechanical unless of course you are running a modern block without provisions for a mechanical pump. Carter makes a mechanical pump that flows 70 PGH which is more then enough to feed a 400 HP small block. Do a search on a site like summitracing.com and you can find one. If you don't want to buy from them it will still have a usable part number for you.

I am using a Holley Blue pump for a current project. I like them real well for a mild performance street strip machine, but they are not quiet even though the ads say that they are. :eek: :D

9. squirrel

squirrel

welcome to the wonderful world of Carter pumps.... "MOUNT PUMP WITH ELECTRIC TERMINAL POINTING DOWN AS SHOWN"

carter.jpg

One of my "new" trucks has a Carter pump, installed by the p.o, I hardly ever hear it. But it's a pickup, and the pump is behind the rear axle....I have Holley Blues in a couple of my cars, they can get pretty loud, especially if mounted to the floor in a car that has no carpet, back seat, etc.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post a pic of ride that you are working on

11. cDuck28Z

cDuck28Z

RatRod Build (321).jpg RatRod Build (272).jpg RatRod Build (168).jpg RatRod Build (235).jpg RatRod Build (59).jpg RatRod Build (269).jpg RatRod Build (316).jpg

12. Dapostman

Dapostman

rubber exhaust hanger.jpg The quietest fuel pump instillation I have seen is by mounting it using two exhaust hangers one side mounted to the chassis the pump mounted to the other side, it works better than any other method I have ever seen. 

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My 35 Chevy phaeton, Bosch pump from a local GM with Volvo filter. Rubber isolation ring. Only time you here it is when you turn ignition on and pump primes engine and stops. Once you turn the key and engine is running, you don't hear a thing. Just above the bottom line of the tank. Photo0044.jpg

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Do you have the Mech pump on the engine or just the electric? I guess I'm asking if electric pump will allow fuel to pass through when it is off..

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

^^^ No, just this pusher pump, nothing on engine. Local 6cyl GM it came from had an in-tank lift pump as well as this external pump. I thought about an in-tank pump however too much effort for me, so far it hasn't let me down in nearly 15yrs. There is a return line to tank from engine bay regulator and a one-way valve in line before pump. 46 Olds project will have a late model GM tank with lift pump.

I did some Googling but couldn't determine if fuel would pass through pump when there is no power. I've never tried. Fuel contaminants are drawn through the fuel pump. The strainer on the pump removes the larger particles however damage is done by smaller particles that enter the pump and wear the commutator and brushes sometimes blocking the anti-drain back valve. When the brushes and commutator wear, the motor pulls more amperage to produce the same pressure.

Here is a cross section of a pump, unsure if fuel could pass through without power however if it could, flow could be severely restricted.
    upload_2015-12-31_12-49-24.png

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Never realized brushes and all were under water, so to speak! I would think by the lay out that the pump would be a gear/rotor or maybe vane type so I guess it would be hard to pull fuel through so an extra pick up and one way valve would be needed...I don't know why I be so nerdy about running electric pump, just a quirk of mine...Thanks for info on pump.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool project - looks like you have had to figure a lot of stuff out. as for fuel pump isolation/limited noise the last two set ups with using the rubber muffler hanger & the full rubber wrap of pump.