Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you searching for a long lost car? Got the VIN? If so, we need to talk.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffg1010, Dec 28, 2015.

1. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

First off, read this post all the way through before you post. I would prefer people message me directly if they are interested in participating.

OK, a couple years ago, I posted a thread here looking for people who had FOUND "The One That Got Away". Ya see, I am writing a book that tells the unique stories of folks who have searched out and found their long lost classic. Research for the book went GREAT and it is scheduled to go to print in less than two weeks. (should be available 01/04/2016) In fact, I have already committed to a second book, so if you haven't shared your story with me yet, you can email me at [email protected] You can ALSO find out more about my book by checking out my website at www.theonesthatgotaway.com

We just had a guy reunited with his long lost '55 on 12/18/15, so local publicity of the book has attracted the attention of a popular automotive entertainment and production company. I have a meeting in two weeks to discuss a television show.

The content of the show? Reuniting owners with their long lost hot rods.

So, since the HAMB was vital to connecting me with a few good chapters for my book, I thought it may be helpful in connecting me with a few owners who have YET to be successful in finding their old hot rods. I need a few leads to present to the production company when we sit down, so I'd like to find some owners who CURRENTLY are in possession of the VIN #, but do not have the ability (or finances) to track the car. Others are welcome to share, but we will likely go with those that have the best chances of working out. And preferably, you will have some means of purchasing the car back.

I'd prefer if you message me directly, rather than post it on here. But everyone else is more than welcome to post here if you have a comment or just want to follow along.
    Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 3.50.36 PM.png

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Cool idea, I would enjoy watching a show like that if it were down to earth believable and not a bunch of over the top fake drama.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

VIN number use started in 1954 (?) - eliminates a lot of rides that may be searched for on this site.

4. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

The vin just makes it a little easier for a research team to track down. I've seen a lot of folks on here (with older cars) get reunited with their car through other means (heck, I've see them recognize mods and even paint jobs-there is a half dozen featured in my books) but the likelihood increases greatly with the VIN- and ya gotta admit, finding it without a vin is quite difficult. We gotta work within the confines of the production capabilities. We can't just cruise around the country opening garage doors looking for cars. If folks with older cars have solid leads, then they are also welcome to chime in.

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

ding! ding! ding!
    we have a winner!

6. there are a lot of builds that back in the day just got the serial # by the DMV and troopers blessing and stamped accordingly....like some early builds in the 50's.....just saying....isn't always a vin to search for....

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

an old photo and a short segment about a missing car or 2 (sent in by viewers)at the end of each show on national tv might bring a few to the surface also.

turboroadster and timwhit like this.
  8. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

Yeah, any solid lead would work. Serial #'s, Chassis #'s on some imports, I know some states have license plates that stay with a car for their life, that would work. It just has to be solid. I'm just trying to tighten up the haystack we're searching in.

9. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

thats a good idea too. I'll pitch it to them.

10. Like "America's Most Wanted" w/John Walsh?.

11. PM
    sent!

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Does the car have to be a hot rod or custom? Or is a stocker OK? I would really like to find my parents 47 Chevy Stylemaster coupe, if it still exists. Or know if it is in car heaven.

It was their first car and they bought it a couple of years after Dad got back from the South Pacific. I have the VIN and all of the sales info, order sheet, payment receipt, etc. In the same year my older sister arrived, and they built their first house. I'm guessing that it was probably scrapped years ago, since it's last known whereabouts was Polo Illinois in about 1952.

Actually, I have all the purchase documents for all of the cars that they bought from 1947 to 1976.....Including a 51 Chevy wagon, 56 Chevy wagon, 58 Chevy wagon, 60 Bonneville, and 65 Buick Sport Wagon, among others.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  13. Interesting idea for sure. Best of luck with the book(s). Unless you are able to maintain full editorial control over a potential TV show, I foresee it getting "dramatized" by the powers-that-be and devolving into yet another example of the vast desert of so-called entertainment that exemplifies today's TV offerings.

turboroadster likes this.
  14. slowmotion

slowmotion

I really like the premise. Hell, every car guy has at least 'one that got away'. So subject matter shouldn't be a problem. Usable realistic leads is another story. Separating the wheat from the shaft will be the chore.
    I really hope this develops. Done right, without caving to the OCC formula, could be huge. Good luck.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Before the internet, 90% of all cars "that got away" never really left the area. They got tucked away in a barn or garage and waited for the restore that never would come. Sometimes old age, death, or finally realizing that its never gonna happen shakes the car loose again. Then again as much as the web is an enemy for scattering our dreams, it can be a useful tool in finding that old car. I have found , or found out its crushed, every car that ever meant anything to me. Don't ever sell anything and always listen to your gut. But if we all did that, then you wouldn't have a book or a show. Good idea and keep it real and people will tune in.

Hotrod_Daddy08 and volvobrynk like this.
  16. .....................and we would be out of room and out of money!.....Wait, that kinda describes me.:D

triman62 likes this.
  17. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now THAT is a show I would pay to watch!

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ignore this guy... Post it here!

Moriarity likes this.
  19. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

haha! That would take some of the fun out of it for me!

20. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

Nah, it isn't limited to hot rods. I'd say anything is fair game if it's documented. I'd kinda like to have a '56 wagon!

21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

22. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

traffic61 likes this.
  23. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Another vote on the Glover car. Heck, there's your pilot episode right there.

24. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

I agree. I've followed this thread. This car was awesome. Plus Dan is right in our backyard.

25. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

with the quick results on many searches that have been answered here best to start here first. then can move on to drama of a TV reality show

27. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Jeff, I have been a Volunteer Fireman in my City for 46 years and because of that I am friends with several of the town's police. They have "run" the VIN for the '60 Corvette that I once owned and would like to purchase back. Every time they have checked they don't show any results. It does not mean that the car is no longer with us but might not have registered in many years. I am very reluctant to post a VIN on any site.

28. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

You can email it to me at [email protected] Dont forget pics if you have them!

29. Jeff: Curious if you received my Pm and is there enough info to do anything with? Tim

30. thunderplex

thunderplex

X2