Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1936 Ford Dropped Axle Help needed

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigwindowjim, Dec 28, 2015.

1. bigwindowjim

bigwindowjim
    from Wisconsin

It's been a while since I installed a dropped front axle in a hot rod... (35 years ago, 1933 Ford 3 window...still got it!), so my problem is trying to find an axle that will work in the '36 Roadster project I'm working on. I have a '39 Chassis that I plan on using, and will use the radius rods (split) and maybe some of the other original parts to keep this car as traditional as possible.
    I know the frames are the same from '35 to '40, and I also know that the axles changed in king pin center line dimensions, as well as the axle thickness and the radius rod spacing.
    There are so many axles out there on the market that it makes me dizzy. It seems like Magnum is the only one that offers a 4" drop and keeps the original king pin and radius rod dimensions that the factory uses for a '39. I would like to end up with a chrome dropped axle, so I can always send my axle in to have it dropped, then have it chromed, but the ones on eBay are so cheap, that it is tempting to buy one and make it fit. Advice please??

2. if theyre cheap theyre probably cast and will snap. Get a good forged steel axle.

55willys and Atwater Mike like this.
  3. Joel W

Joel W

Check out okie joes or nostalgia sids, both out of Oklahoma

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I would have Greg Haynes/Anson Axles drop my stock 36 axle then use 37/40 bones which provide better turning clearance than the 35/36 bones. Use dropped steering arms with a 525 GM steering box. I like the CE center and splitting kit.

X38 likes this.

5. wideglidejoe

wideglidejoe

X2, they both are top notch!

6. bigwindowjim

bigwindowjim
    from Wisconsin

WOW Guys!!! Thanks for the help. I'll check out all of the above suggestions!!

7. MUlrich07

MUlrich07

I don't post much, but I went with Okie Joes. I ordered it on a Wednesday at 12:30, and received it that Friday at 2PM! Excellent product and WILL do business again. Very helpful/down to earth guys!

8. Mark T

Mark T

If you have a stock axle that you can have dropped sent it to Andy Kohler in Williamsport PA, he's known here on the HAMB as thunderbirdesq. He dropped a '33-'34 Axle for me and it turned out great.

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

This certainly can be done. But if you use the 36 axle with a 37-40 wishbone, you'll also need some shims for the perch boss since the 36 is 1/4" narrower than a 37-40.

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

AHHH, forgot to mention the axle perch shims. I've done this conversion several times and it works great.

11. alchemy

alchemy

Why would the 40 wishbones provide a tighter turning radius than 36 wishbones? If you cut the back end off of each to split them, they will be exactly the same other than a little different arch on the front spring mount, and that shim mentioned.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I was trying to figure out the same thing, Alchemy. The 'bones are basically the same dimensions from '35-'41, but the '37-'41 axle is narrower through the king pins by and inch or two, and it's wider through the perch pins by a good couple of inches, which to me would spell out less turning radius as the tires will hit the 'bones quicker.

13. mvee33

mvee33

I have a 35 with the Anson dropped axle, Lincoln brakes, CE spindles and original split radius rods to CE center cross member. I am using the So Cal deep dropped bolt on steering arms, these were milled 1/8 inch where they bolt to the spindles, to give clearance from the axle drop. Steering and tie rod clearances are all excellent. I tried CE steering arms and they interfere with the Lincoln backing plate.

14. bigwindowjim

bigwindowjim
    from Wisconsin

Hey guys, keep the info coming....all this info is very, very helpful