Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 2 years in Russia - reasonable budget - What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Revived 265, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

oh thirtytwo...Nostrovia, comrade hot rodder!

upload_2015-12-23_13-41-20.png

2. Are u refering to the women ?

falcongeorge, lewk, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  3. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. I'd take a big block crate engine, a supercharger kit set, and buy a used tank.
    Install said engine with blower, and drive it like you stole it...
    As the saying goes, 'When in Rome...:D;)

I've seen the you tube vids, can't be that bad all the time.... Can it?:eek:

If you did the Brookville thing, build a period correct stock car, with heavy crash bars. ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. dos zetas

dos zetas

Well, you could find me a restorable GAZ 72 4WD station wagon...

6. Actually my first thought was a war era Beemer I am more of a Harley guy but a WLA isn't much of a bike, maybe with a little more compression and a set of R cams. The beemer was built by the bad guys but those old war era beemers were cool.

That said I wasn't even aware that there is a such a thing as a Nimbus, looking at pics it reminds me of the old Henderson and Indian 4s. I could be persuaded to get one of those real quick. I actually got to ride my dad's old Henderson a year or so back. One of his brothers still has it, and I was without wheels at a party out west. he brought it so that I would have a ride.

The roar of the mighty 4 comes to mind. ;)

falcongeorge and volvobrynk like this.
  7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is the biggest danish commercial success, that's HAMB friendly.
    Only follow by B&O.
    And other then that we are only know for sailling jews to sweden.
    Maybe somebody knows us for our politiassistent saying stupid stuff, again.
    By the nimbus is a nice bike, but not exately a race bike.

What's wrong with the WLA? Only topped by the XR750 and the first Sportster, the WLA is a nice bike.

And it's hard to find a roadster in Russia, I bet. A d that would be really cold.
    There is a Swedish firm that builds 5w coupe's in new repop. So maybe you should go via sweden on your home trip.

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'd worry more than anything about how many pockets youd have to grease to get something out of there, especially something like a brookville that isnt exactly titled as an american car anyhow. I second the idea of some bikes, im sure theres plenty of bikes to chop up around there and either pass on or bring home. and if you lost it to corruption you wouldnt be out as much as if you lost a nice deuce.

9. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

Since they're offering to ship my car for me, I'd take something over there that is difficult for them to buy, maybe a Corvette. Sell it, and use the money to find something over there to build.
    I've always wanted to build something with a Tatra air cooled hemi V8. That would be what I'd be searching for over there. Or build a gasser out of an old Trabant.

10. Tatra air-cooled hemi. TatraHemi.jpg

falcongeorge and kiwijeff like this.
  11. Osca V8 1500cc.jpg Osca v8 1500cc 2.jpg

You never know what you'll find hidden away in Europe.

Outback and kiwijeff like this.
  12. I really like the idea of a nimbus...and yes the one I'll purchase will be in Denmark, I have to spent a lot of time in DK....tusine tak....and you guys are so right, I'd never drive it much in Russia. Where I'll be located there are good roads with minimal traffic, so once in a while. Didn't know about the weasel nor GAZ 4.....and I do have help in my searches.....know a couple of Albanians that have proved to be very...ahem....resourceful in the past.....

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

We just sold an early '70s R75, not glamorous or flashy, but it was a really nice bike to ride, and really well built.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

15. They just built a nice bike or build a nice bike. Not flashy but smooth and dependable.

falcongeorge likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. Anything better will just get stolen.

17. Well lets see 8:1 compression low revs? The army bike was fairly dependable but it wasn't a real fast bike at all.

If you want a real 45" Harley this is the one that you want WR only topped by the 80' flathead and the K model and the 750 XR :D

[​IMG]

Well that is a matter of who's family you belong to I suspect. :D

There were actually a few old beemers got stolen in the Bay Area back in the '70s when I was young still. The R75 would have landed on that list of desirable to the proper people. ;)

I may have taken another thread off the rails sorry fellas.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    falcongeorge likes this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like it or not, in Russia, laws do not apply to all equally. The oligarchs run the show now.

If one wants your rod, or bike, he will have it.

19. dan griffin

dan griffin

20. Pretty much that way any time you cross one of our borders for someplace more exotic that here.

21. I'll keep you guys updated when I find a project......

volvobrynk and Outback like this.
  22. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

maybe a T-72? YouTube has some pretty amazing ww2 iron recovery videos...

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. indyjps

indyjps

I'd suggest getting some contacts in Russia and ask what is selling well. Take a car with to sell as soon as you get there. Take the money and spend some time looking around, buy something in a different European country for a good price and have that shipped back when you return.

Buy a good common car for transportation while there, something reliable with good parts availability, nothing flashy.

I considered a year in Brazil, a VW Passat or Fiat are very common, reasonable cars, when it's time to leave they sell fast, parts are no issue.

24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Where in Denmark? Maybe we could meat up, I might also be able to help you out. With. Different matters even as translater

25. If I went to a country like Russia or Brazil or other country like that.
    I would spend all the time just hunting for parts unique to that country.
    Once shipped home you would have a nice earner.
    Thinking of GAZ Model B Russian engines, Ford 6 engines with 2v heads in Sth America and things like that.
    Like in Australia we had Cleveland engines built by the factory to 1982 and most have small chamber 2v heads.

26. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Why build anything?
    Spend all your time learning to drive and surviving on the roads in Russia.

When you get back you can get a pro drive :D

27. road zombi

road zombi

A little advice from EAST-germany: IN FIRST YOU MUST LEARN DRINKING A LOT OF WODKA and giving a good pledge
    :cool::D
    and then how about with this cars
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The EMW was building after ww2 in the east part of germany, the former GDR, and they exported these cars to the russians
    Dosvidania amerikanski drug....hihihi
    Winki

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. purpledodge

purpledodge
    from Tucson

You could say the same about the good old USA unfortunately

29. Why bring a Brookville body to Russia if they make 32 roadster bodies in Sweden (Reprosteel) and buy a Gaz with a V-8 and you have a nice starting point.

30. Det er godt. Jeg skal Vaer I Bagsvaerd paa Novo Nordisk. Men det ved Jeg ikke hvornar.....sorry about the bad Danske sprog....Jeg har ikke taller for elva ar....

volvobrynk likes this.