Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 toploader tailshaft front yolk wanted

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by pooch2, Dec 27, 2015.

1. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

I only have the gearbox spline/yolk and need the front yolk part at least of a matching tailshaft .

I have no idea what this open drive end came off .

If it is the usual early pickup , what option/s have I got as to what models I can start searching for a matching yolk to weld to my modern tail shaft ?

For instance , did the size of the universals stay the same for a lot of years to give me more choice ?

Can add a pic and measurements if needed.

2. you need the piece that has the trans mount or do you need the universal joint?

3. I can't remember for sure but I think I remember reading that something like a '55 Chevy or Ford would work. I just remember the answer was easy and something I least expected. You might try a post on fordbarn.

Charlie Stephens

4. how about a picture of what you have?

X38 likes this.

5. My guess is that he has this bracket on the back of a passenger car trans with the main shaft shown so he can slip on the yoke. Am I right, pooch2?
    Charlie Stephens
    IMG_8273.jpg IMG_8274.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  6. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

Here is what I have...

I just need the mating yolk off the tail shaft front end so I can weld this to another tail shaft.

It measures 1 1/16th inch dia for universals and 3 1/4 inches across to outside of universals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. alchemy

alchemy

You don't need part of a tailshaft, you need a yoke for a DRIVESHAFT. Most all driveshaft shops should be able to get you a new driveshaft yoke of the proper dimensions. Also be aware that many universal joints can be purchased with different sizes on each side, so you can cross-match to a different size yoke.

Knowing the proper terminology is important to getting the message across.

LOU WELLS and Chris Casny like this.
  8. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

Over here, a tailshaft can be a driveshaft or a propeller shaft.

A driveshaft can be a half shaft as in FWD and IRS RWD .

A tailshaft can only be a longitudinal rear shaft .

We call the gearbox part a splined or a slip yoke.

The actual bit I am after is just the front yolk part of a TAILSHAFT.

I mentioned tailshaft yolk because that is the only piece I need, it is not technically a used car part alone, as it is welded from factory to the tailshaft tube in an assembled car, I would probably have to buy a whole tailshaft, but if anyone had the front end of a chopped off tailshaft, that would do.

9. alchemy

alchemy

OK. Just realize there are a lot more Yankees on the HAMB than Aussies. ;)

10. As I posted earlier if I remember correctly there is a common late model part that will work. Try asking some of the transmission experts (http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm) and also post your question on fordbarn.com and http://www.earlyfordv8.org. The part was common enough that it is probably available across the counter in Australia. Be sure to post a followup when you find it.

Charlie Stephens

11. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

We already have to pander to the Yanks re terninology .

If I talk about a bonnet or a cotter pin or a split pin, I get blank stares .

Funny thing is, some Yank speak has become the norm with me and I sometimes cringe at myself when talking about gas tanks or fenders or splash aprons etc.

I doubt I would buy any large part from USA with your exorbitant ripoff postage charges.

You should see most of our ebay items ....

Example is 2 screws at maybe $2 and $35 postage.

So some terminology I will keep OZ, as I want local parts.

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Is a yoke a yolk in Aussie land, too?

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

this thread is a yolk..
    that's only funny if you're Norwegian fowl

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We have er,...South Immigrants here that have changed most of our English lingo in CA., Tejas, New Mehico, etc.
    This bi lingual P.C. is quite annoying, where English is our national language.

I'd say, "When in Driveshaft Land, speak as the purveyors do."

'When is a yoke not a yoke?' When it gets serious...:mad:

15. Eggs have yolks, driveshafts have yokes.

16. alchemy

alchemy

Pretty arrogant. You will be the first guy I've blocked on the HAMB.

17. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Yo, wise guy get your own fuckin forum if you don't like us yanks.....tail shaft my ass...

18. you can find the open drive top loading trans that is much like the 36/39 in 42/51 Ford trucks....most of the 48 to 51 trucks had the 6 cylinder in them....hope fully there is one in your area toget the drive shaft out of to cut to fit.....good luck.....will post picks of these when I get the chance....

19. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

The Ujoint is a Spicer 1310, the most common U joint ever. Any Shop that rebuilds"tailshafts" should have a ton of them laying around.