Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Watson Style 1958 Ford Fairlane

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cabong, Dec 4, 2015.

1. I liked the orange someone photo shopped for you.

2. cabong

cabong

I tend to agree, so it's difficult for me to envision other colors..... Plus, I like the picture of the Truck below the Watson Bird pic. I also like your Truck. My wife Nancy had a '36 short top with a 324 Olds on board, and a LaSalle tranny... This picture was taken in about 1956. It had the Olds/LaSalle, but was later lowered via a 6" dropped axle and blocks. It was never painted or upholstered.

3. cabong

cabong

Nancy\'s 36 004.JPG The picture wouldn't upload, so I'll try in a new post.

brad2v likes this.
  4. The orange (melon) stripe was one idea just to get your juices flowing even more.. Of course any good striper worth his brushes will have some swell ideas for stripe colours. You know it's gonna look spectacular!!

Dave

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  5. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Hi Bruce, I think you're on the right track with the first version on the LaFevre 59 El Camino, keeping it simple and clean. I'm not crazy about the Orange pinstripe idea but it might look ok when finished.

6. Hollow Head

Hollow Head
    from Finland

Will this Finnish build qualify? Friend of mine build this...

Attached Files:

7. cabong

cabong

From what I can dig up, the LeFevre El Camino had gold pinstriping. It seemed to be a favorite of Watsons. The is a young fellow up here that is supposed to start Sat. with the lines. He uses the name Shakey. I told him that he has some mighty big nickers to fill, since Shakey Jake was a very good friend, and striped the Dream Truck the last time that I painted the critter. His masterful design still adorns the back of the Truck. Hey Kevan, keep tuned !!!!

loudbang likes this.
  8. cabong

cabong

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!! Fabulous build.......Great scallops!!!!!

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think the gold will be a great choice, lotsa diffrent shades of gold paint tho:)

10. cabong

cabong

That's the problem, out of every 10 shades of gold, one would work.....I figure we'll be practicing a bit..

11. cabong

cabong

A little update..The bezels are on, but may need to come back off to alter the paint shade. One of the hazards of painting. I also just picked up another set of chromies and narrow whites. The last set went on my wife's '55. By the way, the '55 is for sale. Contact me if interested.

Attached Files:

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Like the 55 also, some old style grey spoke torq thrust style wheels would also look good on that.

13. cabong

cabong

Does "low budget" ring a bell??? Actually, I've had several sets of wheels in the bugger, but the rear is a 9", and wide, so not much fits that looks good. It was raised, like a gasser, but it just seemed to want to be low, so here it is. nancy 55 under rear 007.JPG

Okie Pete and droppedstepside like this.
  14. Dave, I have a Cherry 59 Ford 2d Ht just begging for a Face Lift. Could be your next Blank Canvas.
    The Wizzard

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  15. Ha, ha Pist. My project list is much too long already.. tho' '59 hardtop would be a great canvas! You can do it yourself and I will be content to give you endless suggestions! ;)

cabong I will have to tell my brother about that '55 (he's always wanted a 2dr to go with his Vicky... I'm sure you would let it go cheap, since our dollar (Canadian) is useless right now! :p:D

Dave

16. Dave; Like you my list of Round-2-it's is longer than my Time-2-Do it or I would. I already have a full set of Old American 5 spokes as well as a set of Astro Supremes. None of witch look correct on it as is (Factory Paint).
    The Wizzard 59 Galixy 006.jpg

17. cabong

cabong

Hey Wizzard, Some years back I had a similar '59 Galaxie 500, and it was by far the nicest driving of all my older critters. Does that one have a 332 on board or a Y-block??

18. cabong; This one is a One Owner with the Big 352 and a 4Bbl. Also a very low mile car. 59 Galaxie July 2013 004.jpg
    The Wizzard

loudbang likes this.
  19. cabong

cabong

That is very nice !!! Makes my teeth hurt.....

20. cabong; You should read the add in our classified section. I just bumped it back to the front. It might give ya Wood to go along with aching teeth.
    The Wizzard

21. cabong

cabong

A little striping goes a long ways. I have to think this is pretty close to the colors on the LeFevre El Camino. It would appear that Watson's favorite's were black, gold, and imitation gold, by 1-Shot..The lad, Shakey, a.k.a. Marcos Sullivan, really wanted to do a design on the front and rear, but I decided to wait a bit, and think about it. Every white groove on the top is also outlined in gold.... This young man is very into Watson, and all early customs.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete, brad2v, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  22. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Looking good with the gold lines Cabong, BTW what kind of hood scoop it that you have ?

23. cabong

cabong

Funny you should ask...It's off a Ford Super Duty truck. I could be off on my years, but I believe they produced with the "Super Duty" scoop from about 1957 to 1961. The Pontiac needed a scoop, quick. So they apparently bought the rights to the Ford scoop for their "Super Duty" racers. I don't know if that's why the Indians are called Super Dutys. I've always wanted a car to run one on, and now I have it. It's especially cool, as the grooves match the '58 Ford top grooves. striping the 58 007.JPG

Okie Pete and loudbang like this.
  24. Squablow

Squablow

Car looks real good, and I think you're wise to hold off on any elaborate pinstripe designs.

brad2v and loudbang like this.
  25. Tight stripes! Guess Larry knew what he was doing with the gold - eh? Also had a feeling the striper would know best once he got to see what was going on.. Marcos, (Shakey?? Now, if I had that moniker, it would be waaaayyy more accurate! :p ) well done dude!

Looking great Cabong!!

Dave

26. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Looking good. My son just bought a place out closer to you so maybe I'll get by this year.

27. cabong

cabong

Come on out now, ya hear !!!!!

Thought I might add a little New Years thought......If you think life hasn't given you a fair shot, and the world has simply thrown you a curve ball, don't sit around and whine about it........This a picture of Mutt and his Mama. He was brought into this world with the New Year, eight years ago. Couldn't have been worse timing. It was cold (note the snow) and wet, and muddy, and definitely not where he would first moments 003.jpg liked to have been born. But hey, that's life, and ya gotta play with the cards you are dealt. Folding is not an option. Mutt is a mammoth donkey, and weighs in at around 1000 pounds. That my friends, is a big block !!!!!

Okie Pete, loudbang and drdave like this.
  28. cabong

cabong

Well the mighty '58 is in the final days at the paint shop and should be home by the weekend. It does have to make a side trip to the shop for a spring trim, about 2" worth. In the meantime, Nancy's '55 Customline is on Ebay as we speak.

29. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Looking forward to seeing this outside!

brad2v likes this.
  30. This is going to be awesome.......Watching with great anticipation!