Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Lost & Found, the story of a 55 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4ever17, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Not ten times, and I probably over paid compared to its current condition, but how do you put a price on emotion? In the end it doesn't matter. I am perfectly content with the cost vs what I got in return. Thank god for a very cool and understanding wife though. Can any of you imagine being in my shoes and not having a spouse that would move heaven and earth to make this dream a reality?

2. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Cool Story, cool car! Congratulations! I liked the Tru Spokes too.

3. Abomb

Abomb

Once I found the car my father in law built, and my uncle once owned, (I knew what my uncle had sold it for, he offered it to me in 1989, but I was a poor college student) I offered nearly 5 times the amount....couldn't get a deal done...I did get my name and contact information placed in the glovebox, should the children of the owner want to sell it. I'm really glad your car was found, and you were able to get it back. And, honestly, I'm glad the current owner of my FIL's car loves it too much to part with it. I have the chance to build my own version now, without thinking about whether or not I should make changes I want to make, because of the history of the car....

4. At one point I thought about walking away and just building a clone someday. The problem I have with that, is that it would never fill the void. At lest not for me. Sure I could make it resemble the old one, but it just wouldn't be the same. To me it was either this one, or move on with life. I have/had other hot rods, and will have more. But I could never recreate this one, it had to be the one or none. I hope to never strip this one and redo it, but I know that eventually it will need it. Hopefully years from now.

5. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Great story! It looks like it was loved all those years to still be in that shape. I'll bet it is one very Merry Christmas around your house!

6. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

You are a lucky man. Make sure you never let it get away again.

7. bchctybob

bchctybob

Great story. So glad you were able to get it back. The WWs and Cad hubcaps put it waay apart from the crowd, very very cool.

8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That's amazing that you got the car back after so long. Very cool. Enjoy that sucker , and use it ... Often !

9. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Outstanding story! So glad for you to have found it and have the means to reacquire it! What a fine looking car! Not everyone can find "THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY" never mind get it back in the fold! ENJOY! I'm sure you will! Joe

10. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Great story and Great looking car. Merry Christmas to you!

11. Roadsir

Roadsir

Looks like the paint held up well. I like the Caddy Caps look with a little rake, neat car.

12. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

That is a great Christmas story. I'm so happy for you that you found her again. Enjoy it!

13. Merry Christmas to you all. Thanks for all the kind words. I got the best present ever, my old long lost first love came back home!

14. No need to strip it, the age is part of it's story! So good that:
    You found it
    The guy was willing to sell
    and you were able to buy it!

15. indyjps

indyjps

Great story, and good that you got it back, the paint really held up well. What's the new drivetrain?
    Remember what kind of paint you used?

16. When we owned it so long ago it was a 283/powerglide combo. Now it has a 383 stroker/Muncie 4 speed combo. The guy that owned it for the last 22 years was constantly upgrading it. Has an Ididit chrome tilt and Vintage Air ac/heat now too.

I believe the paint is PPG, but it was so long ago I just don't remember.

Johnboy34 likes this.
  17. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Great Story! I read back thru your original thread as well as this one and you have not mentioned your dad. Is he still with us? If so, what does he think? If not, I really, really understand why you wanted this car back so bad. The one in my avatar was my dad's but I was lucky enough not to have to go out and find it.

18. My dad is still with us. While he normally lives close by, he is spending the inter in Arizona with my sister. He is funny, he doesn't miss the car at all, once he is done with them he moves onto the next without hesitation. He is extremely happy for me knowing how bad I want it and have missed it. I can't wait for him to come home in April and see the car again.

loudbang and Bad Banana like this.
  19. Butch M

Butch M

Great story glad you got it back I have had my 56 since high school 76 don't know what it would like to be with out it good luck and enjoy

20. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

Great story, unbelievable to find it in almost the same condition or even better! Congrats

21. osidebarrel

osidebarrel
    from San Diego

What a nice car. Unreal that its still wearing the same paint, and it still has the lettering in the deck lid! Very happy for you, congrats on the reunion. I can see why you never forgot about this one, its a timeless car