Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 Chevy fleeline build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by JDspeed, Dec 25, 2015.

1. JDspeed

JDspeed

Hey guys I'm new to the hamb but not new to old cars. I recently just bought this 1950 Chevy fleeline deluxe from a small town in Pennsylvania.My future plans are too fix the sheet metal and clear the original patina, lower the car and insert a newer gm 4.8 ls motor with a carb along with a newer auto of some sort and a 8.5 10 bolt rear. my question is what is the best way to go with the suspension? I'm currently looking at the Jimenez bros front mustang 2 front suspension and might go with posie springs in the rear. Opinions?

Attached Files:

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The nephew and I built a 51 Bus Coupe into a "street gasser" of sorts. Completely stock suspension front and rear, with some improvements. We blocked the front end up 2 inches, added coil wrapped shocks to the rear, along with slapper type traction bars, and the car handles fine. No, it's not like a late model! I look at the cars the Mustang II's came under, and compare that to what they're going under; quite a size and weight difference. I'm sure there are many who swear by them however. The same basic front suspension used under the 49-54 Chevrolet's is the same as used under the 55-62 Corvettes. Rebuild the stock front end, and add some disc brakes; if you have money to burn, then go with aftermarket leaf springs on the rear. Anything "more" than that really is't traditional. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

flatford39 likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. flatford39

flatford39

What butch said....

5. bisquick59

bisquick59
    from wahoo,ne

Great project to start on. Im running the jimenez bros mustang 2 and rear 2 link. Now it may not be the "traditional" way. But for me, by the time you rebuild the stock front end, buy a disc conversion, drop uprights and the other parts you are going to need. You end up pretty close/if not the same price of a mustang 2. One reason why I use the mustang setup. Another benefit (my opinion) parts are more abundantly available at your local parts store and way easier to work on if you ask me.

Now, if you want your stock front end for the more traditional look, I would go to fatman for the uprights and speedway for the disc conversion. Im not sure who people go with on the rebuild kits, but im sure there are plenty of good ones out there.

As for the motor. Jimenez Bros makes SBC bolt in mounts. Im using these with SBC 3 bolt solid motor mounts and LS adapters. While the LS is not taditional, I will be spending a crap load of time hiding wiring and detailing it out to look older. Not sure your reasons for LS, but to me you can make them look old (search delmospeed LS motor in google) they are way cheaper, great power and go for ever.

To me, stick with what you want. Do it for yourself and make it yours.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Paragon Corvettes handles the rebuild kits and seals, as do the 49-54 vendors such as National Chevy Association.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beware of companies selling two-link suspension systems for these cars made with bars made of rigid square, rectangle, or round tubing.

There are a few out there.

Also, there is no good reason to replace the front suspension if it is in decent shape. GM put a lot of engineering into the design, and it works well.

layedout49 likes this.