Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP looking for 1947 Chevy VIN location

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sacred_piston, Sep 2, 2003.

1. sacred_piston

sacred_piston

I just picked up a 1947 Chevy Stylemaster Coupe with no title and I can't seem to find where VIN # would be. I have the option plate on firewall with paint codes and such but no luck finding VIN.

2. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

Check the driver's side door. On 49-52 Chevies, there's a plate on the door frame, on the A-pillar side. I don't know if 47s are the same though.

3. atch

atch

also check the top of the frame, passenger side, right beside the engine. you'll have to scrape off any dirt/oil/gunk. number should be stamped into the frame.

4. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

On a 47 Chevy, the vin plate is on the passenger side door jamb. about 12" above the floor. It should be on a plate about 1 1/4" by 2 1/2"

5. saw one that had a tag riveted to the floor just in frt of pass seat- it was aluminum and corroded away!

6. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

7. broo102

broo102

Is there a way to find my VIN from the build plate on the firewall? Is the VIN stamped on top of the frame on a 47 convertible also?
    Thanks
    Bru

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Frame numbers can be maddening! One of my Model A frames has NO numbers, front or rear. Lovely young wife tried, with her 'sophomoric vision', after some concentrated wire brushing, to no avail.
    We both know where they should be, so it may be time for the muriatic acid?
    White vinegar didn't do it.
    Heed this, Sacred_piston. If it's there, some persistence will find it.

9. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

The build plate on the firewall and the vin plate on the passenger side A pillar are two different tags. The build plate on the firewall was placed by Fisher when the body was built - the vin tag on the A pillar was placed by GM when the vehicle was built. There should be no other vin location on your car.

10. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

What Choprods said. I had a '41 Coupe, and the tag was under the carpeting on the pass side, roughly at the front of the seat, about 3" away from the rocker panel.

11. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

There were several states back then that used the engine number (the one stamped on the flat, next to the distributor) as the "vin". But, over the years many of those original engines were replaced with newer 235's and the engine # and the title no longer matched, leaving the new owner with the prospect of spending a lot quality time at the nearest friendly DMV. Don't ask me how I know this!!

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang that must have taken some digging to open up a thread last posted on in 2003.
    This link says it should be on the right hinge pillar. http://www.classiccardatabase.com/specs.php?series=4608&year=1947&model=24579

13. broo102

broo102

OK Cant find the # on the frame, the screws were left behind about 2 3/4 inches apart on the pass. side pillar, but the plate is missing.
    DOES ANYONE HAVE A PIC OF THIS PILLAR PLATE?
    thanks
    Bru

14. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Pretty sure the vin # was the engine number.

15. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

If it is like the 42 Chevy I am building it is in the drivers floor. What a good place, the aluminum tag rots away with all the moisture that gets under the floor mats. Mine was mostly gone.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since the holes are there and no tag either someone took the tag off when they were painting the car at some time or other or someone snagged the tag while the car was sitting or took it off and stuck it on another car to use the title.
    For some reason it was common practice in the 60's and early 70's to take the tags off the bodys to prep for and paint them and hopefully remember to put them back on.

Later on you have that group who slither though a batch of old cars with a small hammer and chisel and snag vin and body tags for resale at swap meets or on Ebay.

If you haven't already come across it this page might help your quest. http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/
    This says that the vin tag should be on the floor on the passenger side but I'd expect that on a rag top you didn't or don't have much floor to work with. You might need some very clear "that's where it should have been if it hadn't rusted away before I got it photos.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  17. broo102

broo102

Thanks, these are original screws in an original area. Ive been told the pillar was the spot used, but I also see the floor was used. Maybe the rag tops were different. Floor seems to be replaced....... Thanks for the link, saw it already. I just wish there was a way to find a VIN from a build sheet or older owners list?