Register now to get rid of these ads!

History henderson race track

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by georgepan, Aug 23, 2013.

1. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

Hello,
    DOes anyone have information on henderson race track?
    When it closed?
    Track results?
    Drivers?
    etc
    thanks

2. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Where was Henderson located and was this a circle dirt track or asphalt?

I love researching old tracks and drag strips.

Jimbo

3. Henderson Tx. ? Opened Dec. 75 closed 2009 .Kart and bike road course.

4. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

Henderson, nevada. It was a drag strip called thunderbird. I found very little information on it. I am alos looking to find information on a car and driver. The car was a 1964 plymouth max wedge gun metal grey. And the owner was william timmons. According to him, he raced there in 1964.
    thanks

5. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

Henderson, nevada. It was a drag strip called thunderbird. I found very little information on it. I am alos looking to find information on a car and driver. The car was a 1964 plymouth max wedge gun metal grey. And the owner was william timmons. According to him, he raced there in 1964.

6. 1958-64: Thunderbird Raceway (Henderson Drag Strip); City of Henderson provided area for Southern Nevada’s first true dragstrip.

7. daddio211

daddio211

8. daddio211

daddio211

9. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

Thanks!
    Are the Southern Nevada Charioteers still active. THey ran the henderson nevada race track.

10. daddio211

daddio211

11. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

Does anyone who drove or owned this car? The picture is circa 1966/67.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

12. Did you try a phone book listing for William Timmons in either Henderson or Las Vegas? Im seeing his son this week.

13. This is too cool.. im born and raised here in henderson.. my mom has been here since 55. I just stumbled upon this thread. The videos are awesome. Im goin to call her in the morning and ask her if she remembers this track.

14. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

Update: I have found drag racing results for William Timmons and his gray 1964 plymouth max wedge. THe results were from the Silver State Centennial at Thunderbird raceway April 1964. He won the Formula 1 sportsman class A/SM setting the class record. ALso, he raced the following weekend, at the Dixie Elks Dragway in St George's Utah in the U/S class setting the track record and recording/setting the stock class record for the state of Utah.

Attached Files:

15. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

William timmons 1964 plymouth max wedge circa 1969.

Attached Files:

16. daddio211

daddio211

St. George is my home! It was before my time, but occasionally they would close the airport for drag racing, or at least pause the races for an incoming plane.

The "old airport" was southeast of town, kind of in the middle of nowhere and inconvenient to get to. During the 70's the city built a "new" municipal airport in town on top of what we call "the Black Ridge," a large bluff covered in black lava rock. Now the "old" airport was a dedicated drag strip.

It was used and abused, and sometime during the late 80's someone dug trenches across the drag strip with a backhoe. That was the end of racing. Strangely, the end of the runway where the RC plane guys flew was completely untouched. Also strange that the two groups were always conflicting on event dates.

Not long after LVMS opened the new drag strip which is only about 110 miles from here.

As things seem to come full circle, the city outgrew the "new" airport and decided to reclaim the "old" airport to make it the "new" airport again. Believe me, anyone who's lived here for more than 25 years is confused!

And in full circle fashion, we're now racing at the "old" airport which used to be the "new" airport. If interested in what's going on now look up Blackrock Motorsports.

Sorry, this isn't really related to the Henderson track by anything other than relative proximity and the fact that lots of people raced both tracks on a regular basis.

17. partssaloon

partssaloon

Engine Masters was in Garden Grove, CA. and just around the corner from them was Jardine Headers. Ray Alley owned Engine Masters and was later the director of fuel for NHRA and also crew chief for Kenny Bernstein

18. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

Thanks... any history is appreciated

daddio211 likes this.
  19. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

Thanks... Is ray Alley still around?

20. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

Thanks!

21. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

William Timmons racing Cleetis Goodwin Thunderbird dragway 1964

Attached Files:

22. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

I was sent this photo of Bill timmons trophy win from the 1964 AHRA fuel and gas Championship held at the Thunderbird raceway. It was called the Silver State Centennial. He won his class and would have raced in the sportsman elim. The picture confirms this. But, the trophy says champion and is rather too large to be a class win. The local paper has The dick Stewert car as the elim. champ. I feel that there was an error about the results for the sportsman elim. Can anyone determine that the trophy is a elim. champion trophy or a class win trophy. Thanks

Attached Files: