Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Fiat Topolino is a Flip Top now

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiat gasser, Nov 26, 2009.

1. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

thanks Mark,
    Hopefully I will take it for it's maiden voyage sometime this summer.

2. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

PIC1.JPG PIC2.JPG photo 5.JPG photo 3.JPG

Haven't updated in a while. I had the differential gone through. Luckily I did. I bought it second hand and the posi unit was junk. Had that replaced and had new bearings, crush seal, and yoke also replaced. also picked up new rear disk brakes. In the process no of running brake lines now. Ordered a new flex plate and drive shaft. installed new flexplate shield and tranny shield. both are SFI certified. Almost forgot about the quarter stick Hurst shifter. photo 4.JPG

mad mikey, WDobos, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  3. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Bob, Looking Good and Sounding Good. You Sir have come a long way............ Jeff

4. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

5. Looking great! The rear diff looks really outstanding. You must be getting really excited now.

6. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Ya, I can just about taste it. Although I have along way to go yet.

7. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Been working on the Fiat a lot of late nights. the driveshaft is done and installed, the tranny dipstick is in, also picked a clamp on directional(swap meet find) hope it works. Had to rebuild the how I had the rack and pinion mounted. I had centered the rack on the axle, but that made one tie rod longer on one side than the other. I contacted the rack manufactuer and they said the had to be off set so the tie rods are the same length. so once again cut it apart and rebuilt it. oh ya, almost forgot I ran all the brake lines also. next is running tranny cooler lines, fill with fluids and hopefully put it in gear and drive it out the door. a update3.JPG a update.JPG a update2.JPG

mad mikey, OahuEli and WDobos like this.
  8. Getting closer. Those rear disc brakes will definitely stop you quickly! Keep at it!
    Tom

9. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Thanks TFoch and wdobos. Really appreciate the support and likes you guys send my way.

10. loudbang

loudbang

Getting closer and closer now.

11. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Took some time tonight and installed the Hurst shifter in the Fiat. Now I know your wondering why I mounted it
    so high. Well, with the limited room inside I couldn't install it low on the tranny because my leg would be in the way of the shifter. Here's a few pic's to show the shifter going through the gears in relation to were I sit in the car. One more check off the list.
    SHIFTER.JPG SHIFTER3.JPG SHIFTER 2.JPG SHIFTER1.JPG

mad mikey, loudbang and TFoch like this.
  12. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Just a little update. The car is progressing nicely. This past weekend I finally drove the Fiat for a quick trip out of the garage and down the street. Even warmed the tires up in the driveway a few times. It handled good and hooked up hard, very pleased with the initial results. Have to get it licensed and hopefully finish it up mostly this winter and have it ready in the spring/summer. Made a video on my facebook but couldn't get it to load. sorry

GasserTodd, OahuEli and CGkidd like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

Funny just yesterday I was wondering what had happened to this great Ford powered bad boy. Must be ESP. :rolleyes:

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Congrats on your first drive! Maybe post the video here?

15. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

16. Wow that thing sounds great. That'll get you juices flowing! Congrats on the first ride.
    Tom

17. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Thanks Tom, It's been a long 10 years. Here is the condition of it when it was bought. I had no idea then
    just how much work and money it was going to take to get to were I am now. Still have a ways to go but to
    drive it out of the garage has made it all worth it. fiat new3.jpg

OahuEli, TFoch and loudbang like this.
  18. Congrats man on driving it, a milestone for sure.

19. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Thanks Phil, Hope to bring it out to Western NY next summer to Empire.

swade41 likes this.
  20. Sounds fantastic! Truly excellent work, this car has come light years from where it started. Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you and your family.

21. Oh, and I like the way you mounted the shifter, looks just right for some gear banging fun. I just installed this lightning rod deal in the coupe a few weeks back because I broke my B&M. Who says you cant have wicked fun with a full manual auto!:D WIN_20151115_134739.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  22. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Thanks Mikey, Your new shifter looks great reminds me of a Lenco. Gonna try and take the Fiat out today. My present to myself.

23. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Makes all that work worth while when you finally get to drive it. :cool:

fiat gasser and loudbang like this.
  24. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Spread a little holiday cheer down the driveway. 000.JPG

Spoggie, swade41, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  25. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

One last time before it is put away for winter. Who would have thought December 26th I would be out playing with the car. Next take the whole thing apart and start the finish work on the body and chassis, then final assembly.

26. Very cool!!! We're almost into January but I bet it'll be a long winter for you!

27. loudbang

loudbang

Just couldn't resist could you.... none of us could have either it's a disease we all suffer HOT ROD FEVER. :p

OahuEli likes this.
  28. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Sometimes the small size of these little Fiats can be hard to imagine off of pictures. So I wanted to share a picture I took last year that gives a good comparison. This was after adding 10 inches to the wheelbase and hood. photo12.JPG

swade41, OahuEli, TFoch and 1 other person like this.
  29. Small cars are cozy, ask me how I know.:eek::D Happy New Year to you and your family.