Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trucks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AlmightyCrash, Dec 22, 2015.

1. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

I've posted in the past about my Merc, but recently added a 49 Chevy 2 ton wrecker to my collection, and wanted to check with the moderators before starting any posts about the build. I wasn't sure if rusty old trucks fit into the HAMB spectrum.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450846215.281940.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  2. Fedman

Fedman

Use words like...... original...... Patina....... Budget Build Etc.,
    DO NOT use the Rodent word or this will not end well.
    Merry Christmas! :D

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Heed the above advice, and your truck is fine and cool! Gary

4. 55willys

55willys

I like it just the way it is. I had a 54' 1-1/2 ton in my early 20's. I put a later 296 GMC 6 cylinder in it. 54' was the first year of angled bell housing mounts so that part bolted right in and I had to make a front motor mount. It had been severely shortened to be used as a yard truck and was 5-1/2' from the back of the cab to the back of the frame. It was great for street racing with the vacuum shift 2 speed rear end. It looked intimidating when it lit up those 20" dually rear tires. Take off in second low, switch to high quick off the throttle and stab it back down second high, switch to low catch third low shift to high quick off and stab on the throttle, third high and then catch fourth. Light to light was fun.

Max Gearhead and 302GMC like this.

5. Ya been here for a year, and you asked that question, go edit that rodent part out, and yourll be fine.
    Merry Christmas.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Pay attention!:eek::D

hrm2k and kiwijeff like this.
  7. just Mike

just Mike

Oh wait, you meant to say rugged rod truck right? That is an awesome truck, it has the look I like. There is a social forum here on the hamb called A-D Truckers, your truck would fit right in there, lots of good info on these years too.

8. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

If you wants to feel more safe you go to the social group about big trucks 1.5 tons and up.

And I will look for you over there.

And that's a nice truck running what may I ask?

235, 292 or v8? Sm420 with PTO and 2 speed rear.

I love trucks, but tow trucks rule!!

9. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

And yes, sm420 with pto and 2 speed....but the 2 speed cable is gone.
    Gar Wood 10000lb pto winch.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. 55willys

55willys

What are your plans for this truck?

11. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

Multi-carb intake, dual side mounted kegs for fuel, led tails, custom interior, new custom bumper, six separate straight exhaust pipes, white walls, heavy duty custom boom, clear valve cover and side panel, lots of other custom fab work.

I have use of a CNC plasma cutter and CNC router at work, so I want to have a lot of fun with this truck and turn it into something no one has ever seen.

12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I love tow trucks! There is a thread with all tow trucks on here.

I get the intake. And maybe the kegs. Bug the LED light is not my thing. And when it comes to exhaust, a tow truck is the only truck, when hot rod thinking applied, the exhaust note and noise level should be kepped down.
    Its an pressision tool with aero dynamics and speed , wow wait I minut.
    Its a brute beast, and it takes some sound dampner to be a pleasure. But when it comes to pulling power the rear end is very good, and the the granny first is also very important.
    But a 4 speed ain't the part that makes them trucks high way friendly.

I've would think long and hard about how you plan to use your truck. If you want highway speed and the look, or real tow capabilities and user friendliness.

But a good compromise would be a T5 from a 4x4, and there is a adapter availible to convert them for a Jaguars, then keep the two speed and then change rear tires to give the best compromise between tow and speed.
    But that will mean you need to find another way to run the winch.

But you will need to keep at least the granny first or the two speed rear. So you can keep the pulling capabilities from down low.

13. First step should be to take a pic without all the tree shadows in the way. Would love to see the truck.

14. A two speed cable won't be hard to come by or make up. I think that an old tow truck should be more than appropriate. Not quite as appropriate as this but close enough. ;)

[​IMG]

Most won't recall but many years ago there was a sweet little drag coupe that flat towed from New York behind about a '60 F250 tow truck to MOKAN for the HAMB drags. Slick '60s style service station dragster setup.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

Where do I find social groups?

16. just Mike

just Mike

Social groups are at the top, second banner over with three heads.

volvobrynk and AlmightyCrash like this.
  17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Build it. Have fun. Repeat as needed.

18. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Neat truck! Potentially mighty useful too.

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER