Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Side draft multicarb in 2 ton Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AlmightyCrash, Dec 25, 2015.

1. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

What problems can I expect in the process of installing a triple sidedraft carb setup on the 1958 235 that is in my 1949 Chevy 2 ton? I'm not necessarily looking for more power, just something unique.

I do plan on free flowing exhaust and possibly a larger cam.

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I would research early 'Vettes w/ this combo for driveability problems. I think they had a flooding problem associated with float levels / inlet valves.
    \
    Or if you prefer the later Webers a brace of 45 mm ones will work fine.

Good on you to keep the six.

volvobrynk and APACHE FS like this.
  3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

A truck like that is heavy and you have your foot in it a lot. Gas mileage will be worse that the terrible normal. I like the 6 but the mods you describe would be better on some other vehicle. Gary

4. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

Thanks guys!
    I also did some measurements, and it looks like the rear carb would collide with my steering

5. Joe H

Joe H

I am running dual Carter W-1's off the 216 in Chevy's on my 250 inline. Fuel milage increased and general driving is better. No chokes or fast idle, single exhaust, stock cam. My truck weighs 3500 with two people and full load of fuel, 3.08 rear gear with T-350 automatic.

Joe

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

Yeah, Joe...I think that might be the way to go. Vertical carbs shouldn't have any fitment issues like the horizontal ones.

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

My best results making low end power on big trucks has been 2 Rochesters & a GOOD intake - McGurk, D&S, Sharp or Offie are all good choices. Split the stock exhaust manifold retaining the heat riser, unless Texas weather permits cold headers. Another item you may want to locate - a 300 - 400 series 270 -302 GMC distributor. They're full mechanical advance, & use same parts as Chev ...

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

There is nothing wrong in running triple Weber's on a straigth six. But I can recommend the Dellortos, they don't give the same peak power and race feel as Weber's. But they are more straigth forward and can be set up to be more streetable, and I would say that Weber's are more temperamental and temp sensitive then the Dellortos.

They can seriously open up your power band and be set up to any cam you may have or change too later. They are very adaptable.
    But you should run them IR (independent/individual runners).
    And before you do anything about, get the weber/dellorto bible

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Dellorto-Carburettors-SpeedPro-Series/dp/1903706750

I run twin dellortos on a 4 banger, they pull like mad and goes like a scolded ape and give me more then 25 mpg, and I got 20-22 from a stock set up with onr variable venturi Stromberg 175.

10. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

It wasn't the triples that concerned me as much as the side drafts.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. indyjps

indyjps

2 or 3 2bbl would be a more straightforward install and easier to tune unless you're experienced with sidedrafts. If you're looking for unique, do a split tubular intake, a wild header, and exhaust. 2 Tri-Y's into duals with cutouts would be interesting.

Either way post up some pics.

12. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

The exhaust will each have its own individual pipe from the head, and will exit through the top of the left fender as tiny stacks.

13. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

Pics will be in my "49 Chevy 2 ton wrecker build" thread.

14. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I passed up a vintage 3x1 setup and went with a aftermarket 2x1 setup. In retrospect I wish I had tried the 3x1 running on the center carb with the outboards being progressive. I run twin unmuffled stacks and the low back pressure took some fine tuning but it is a literal blast. www.mrchevynut.com shows what I did.

AlmightyCrash likes this.