Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 ford hood fitment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gtolarry, Dec 24, 2015.

1. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

hello could someone please post pictures of the 32 ford hood brackets on their car. I am building a highboy roadster and trying to fit the hood and I need a little information on how the hood fits the brackets and how to put the hood on the car engaging the brackets. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Larry

2. roundvalley

roundvalley

What brackets? The ones on the radiator and firewall for the tops or the spring loaded hold downs for sides?

3. For me I would like to see at firewall and radiator for a stock hood.

4. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

Yes the brackets on the firewall and grille shell not the hold downs thanks

5. Hood hinge brackets.

This is the front that mounts to the radiator shell & radiator.

[​IMG]

This is the part that mounts to the firewall and cowl. HRP

[​IMG]

6. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

Yes I know what the brackets look like. Maybe my post was not clear I would like to see pictures of them on the car and how they fit into the hood. pictures please.
    Thanks Larry

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Start with the hinge and adjust the rods to fit the hinge which slides onto the brackets shown above. I then remove the hinge and install the hinge onto the tops and put them on the car. I then install the sides one at a time and begin the adjusting, shimming and fitting phase of installing the hood. This may not be the way some of you do it but I am usually alone so wrestling the complete assembled hood is not feasible Done dozens of them this way.

8. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

thanks Krylon32 I will give it a try. I also work alone so this fits right in with how I work. lol
    Larry

9. Find a friend, it really takes two people to put the hood on if it has final paint. Start by installing the front and rear brackets without the hood. Measure the length of the center hood hinge and adjust the radiator support rods to put the correct distance between the two brackets (plus about 1/8 inch). If you can’t get the correct spacing remember that the V8 and 4 cylinder radiators took different length radiator support rods (and reproduction radiators may have been something else again). Remove the front bracket. With the help of a friend put the hood over the engine and slide the hinge into the rear bracket. Slide the front bracket onto the hinge. Open one side of the hood and install the screw for the bracket. Go to the other side and install the other screw. As an alternative install the front bracket, remove the radiator support rods and tilt the radiator forward to allow the bracket to slip into the hinge. Reinstall the radiator support rods and make final adjustments.

Charlie Stephens.
    IMG_2047.jpg IMG_2051.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  10. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

if you have a glass body two front mounts work better some times

9just a thought

11. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Sometimes placing and adjusting the deuce hood is like trying to put a crab in a quart jar and another 123.png set of hands really helps.

12. How about a picture? Do you mean us a front mount in the rear or two front mounts in the front?

Charlie Stephens

13. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

Thanks for all the help!

14. It does help to have a extra set of hands.

To get the hood to fit front to back on both sides the basic set up is 32" for the hood hinge.

The radiator shell might need to be raised on on side or the other to keep every thing alligned also the cowl may need shimming.

Some almost fall in place and others are a lesson in futility,the more you work on hood alignment the more little tricks you learn,some of us have worked on Deuce hoods for years and they can still be a PINA to get right.

It just takes time. HRP

LOU WELLS likes this.