Register now to get rid of these ads!

Use of OEM spare wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bluedot, Nov 26, 2012.

1. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

I don't know but maybe they don't want you driving to fast with 3 tires one size and 1 tire smaller.

2. CobraBall

CobraBall
    from N. Texas

Probably depends whether you are on a paved or a dirt track! :D

falcongeorge likes this.
  3. pitman

pitman

I bought them all up, hoarding a set of 5! :eek:
    The rear pair are Ranger PU O.E.M. wheels.
    Fronts are Town car spares, 4" x 16".
    Ford's subtle, "Don't even think this is a wheel " stickers all over the spare rims.
    The '31 is built light as possible, w/an alloy block Ford Duratec 4-cyl.
    You'll want to inspect them faithfully, Esp. if considering a heavier drivetrain, or hard use.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    Donald A. Smith likes this.
  4. Pitman - like those town car wheels....thet are made in Italy - so they can't be all bad...have about 4 now....found some in Crown Vics as well...

5. pitman

pitman

Along with 90's Mercury Grand Marquis, I've been told.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  6. rer_239

rer_239

so what size (width) tires will fit on these narrow rims. can't afford coker so will have to use tires bought locally.

7. I agree.

I think that the disclaimer saves them money in testing and qualifying for DOT specifications and license. I remember several years ago it was a common thing on this site to see cars using late model skinny spare wheels and was often suggested. I haven't heard of anyone dying (sp?) on the site because of it and we are pretty big on telling when someone croaks.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Someone used Nissan Murano spares - search on the HAMB for that. Looked quite good.

9. pitman

pitman

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  10. indyjps

indyjps

There was another recent thread on this. Hit the pic and pull yards that have late models, see what you can find in the bolt pattern you need. The newer they are, more chance of deep offsets. I remember the tbird turbo coupes being a donor for these in a 5 lug ford pattern.

11. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

this is a really old thread but the turbo coupe wheels are 4 lug and we all used them back in the day on our fox body mustangs....

12. Piper106

Piper106

Fronts are Town car spares, 4" x 16".
    Ford's subtle, "Don't even think this is a wheel " stickers all over the spare rims.

I'd assume those wheels would be safe for the entire life of the tread on that donut spare (I'd guess a thousand miles or more) under that Town Car. Let's say the engineers really did their job, figured it down to a knat's a**, and that wheel actually is used up after a couple thousand miles in its intended use.. A Town Car / Crown Victoria / Grand Marquis from the 90's is pretty big tub of lard, close to 4000 pounds. That's a lot more strain on its wheels than the front of a 2000 pound '32 highboy. At half the strain, the you are going to get a LOT more miles out of that wheel before you need to worry about a fatigue failure .

13. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

Got em on the front of my modified, love em they're heavy and fully welded (steel) 15x4 S10 spares. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451021838.864035.jpg

14. pitman

pitman

Piper; one can look over the cast parting lines, and file round any sharp points (edges).
    You raise the right questions, fatigue in AL is a different kettle-of-fish.
    W/O an endurance limit, eventually the tail falls off a high-mileage 747.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  15. Piper106

Piper106

True. For aluminum, as the cycles go up, the allowable stress keeps going down... and down. I assumed however that Ford had to design the wheels to be in the 'allowable safe' stress for at least 1 million cycles (1000 miles times 1000 revolutions per mile) at a wheel load of 1200 pounds in a Town Car, etc. If you look at a fatigue curve for aluminum, while the allowable stress is still going down as cycles goes up, if you were safe at 1 million cycles, at less than half the stress you are likely still going to be in the 'allowable safe' range at 100 million cycles, somewhere around 100 k miles.

That is all I think I know. Your mileage may vary.

16. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Ran'em for years on my T bucket front until I decided to go with Baby Moons - no hub cap bumps on spare tire wheels you know.

17. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Not exactly the look you were going for, but I used Steel Full-Size Spare Tire Wheels from a Chevy Trailblazer on my 1950 Chevy Pickup Build.
    No issues whatsoever, cruised comfortably at 100mph+.

Attached Files:

pitman likes this.
  18. pitman

pitman

Couldn't find a tall narrow 16" out in SUV-Crossover land.
    Got jus' plain Rack-Tired! ;)

19. 28av8

28av8

I apologize for bringing this thread back from the dead, but after scouring the junkyards for a set of these, I started looking online and just happened to stumble upon this thread.

Does anyone have any lead on the Ford aluminum 16x4 wheels like Mac Miller had pictured. The biggest problem is a lot of the junk yards don't have them pictured online and don't want to be bothered with taking a pic for me.