Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 426 Hemi Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redneckbatmobile, Dec 24, 2015.

1. I found a guy locally with a legitimate 68 426 Hemi block. I checked out all the stampings and numbers all check out it's the real deal. He says he's offering it "as found" and has not had it fluxed/checked in any way. Obviously from the naked eye test it's going to be impossible to tell if there are any small cracks that could prove problematic. So with that in mind I'm still looking at it to buy. However he's not willing to let it go for cheap... He's asking $6k. My questions are for the guys in the know are is the price reasonable for what it is (I've never seen another one around here)? And secondly has anybody used the "portable magnaflux kits" that can be used to on site test parts?

I was planning on asking him to at least let me do that to go over all the openings. Any ways any guidance here would be great thanks for your time.

2. earlymopar

earlymopar

How complete is the engine?
    - EM

3. realsteel34

realsteel34

426.....Hemi......Block..........

4. Block and plugs only nothing else. Reason I ask is its all over the map when I look at stuff for sale on eBay etc. complete motors with cross ram intakes in the 30k range. I know certain years are worth more than others and I certainly know these are VERY expensive to build. I just don't know what kind of number to put on just the block alone.

5. Fedman

Fedman

Wow, unless you are doing a correct # matching restoration it sounds like the price of original Hemi stuff is made of unobtamium....... I would consider an Aluminum aftermarket block in that price range.
    What are your plans for the Hemi?

6. Yea it's pretty steep. I honestly didn't know if I should laugh in the guys' face or if he's on point because I just have never seen one for sale in my area. My plans were to surprise my dad and start to rebuild his 68 Charger that's been sitting for years. His car was a 383 and I thought after all he's done for me in my life this would be an amazing gift to get it built with a hemi (he always talked about owning one). I did look at the aftermarket stuff as well I just really had no clue what the $ on these are nowadays

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

8. Fedman

Fedman

Nice plan, your Dad is a lucky man. Honestly for a Non original combo I would look to something like a turn key Hemi, ready to go. Check out Big Al's Toy Box ( I am not recommending them, just to compare pricing) to get an idea of what the cost factor is buying a complete Hemi versus piecing one together.
    Good luck with your plan!

9. Thanks a lot guys very good resources and info. I know the numbers and just common sense says go buy the aftermarket stuff. And then I catch myself looking at the old block again... Lol. But really thanks for the help much appreciated

10. I've already learned a Lesson on bare blocks. If it hasn't been Maged and Sonic tested by seller take it to a local shop and have it done with deal pending. If the seller says NO that means he already knows of the problem and just wants to dump his Junk on an un suspecting buyer. If he truly believes it's a good block he'll be willing to let you prove it for him. Also make sure the Main Caps are there.
    The Wizzard

Fedman, falcongeorge and 73RR like this.
  11. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I had to buy four blocks to build my 270 hemi and had two of them magged and machined before I found out they were bad. It got pretty expensive. I would have him clean and mag it before I bought it.

12. the guys crazy. run away dont walk. even if it was a perfect standaed bore block it would be too much.

A.J. Spence and Fedman like this.
  13. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Wonder what the chances are someone woke up one morning and decided they'd treat their perfectly good Hemi to a new block when there was nothing wrong with the old block? Not real good odds of that happening too often I'd guess.

49ratfink and Fedman like this.
  14. uncle buck

uncle buck

For that matter .... 3rd from the top is less than 1/2 the price machined. It's not a number matching restoration so the date is irrelevant

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. That price is way out of line, even for a good block!

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Inclined to agree. The only way he is going to get that kind of money for that block is if he happens to hook up with the guy that has the car it originally came out of.

APACHE FS likes this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That was actually the one I meant, but it seems I cant count!!:confused::oops:

metlmunchr likes this.
  18. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Mopar makes a brand-new 426 Hemi block unless you gotta have numbers - matching?Their block can take massive over bore and still accept all "classic" parts. They sell cast iron and aluminum heads for 2nd-gen Hemi, too. Dodge, Chrysler Jeep dealer can order one. I like to work with Glendora Dodge

19. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Many of them are cracked in the center water jackets. If you bought all of the rest of the parts to finish it you will be around double that without machine and assembly. You can buy a crate hemi from a dealer with a warranty for around your total. If it was a complete engine for that price, maybe. But cranks and heads are expensive even before machining. Bare block that's not tested is a boat anchor.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

6 grand would build a nice 383 or 440.

stealthcruiser and falcongeorge like this.
  21. "Got a 68 Baracuda....nothing there"

Dennis Wilson , Two Lane Blacktop

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  22. If you got money for 6000 dollar block, just call Ray Barton. He will build you whole 528 for like 20000. That's carb to pan pump gas motor broke in and dyno tuned.

Larry T likes this.
  23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Agreed.Way too much.

24. Just another guy who's watched too many episodes of 'Pickers'.....

Nailhead Jason and falcongeorge like this.
  25. What happens when you pay 6000 bucks for it and it needs 8 sleeves cause there cracked or just used up?

26. went to look at a 427 ford side oiler block guy wanted 3500;00 asked if it was sonic tested and magged
    guy say's he never did, I asked if I could have it done at my expense , and either way if I didn't purchase the block he would know what he had,
    he wouldn't even consider it, buy it and take it as is was my only option . I walked

27. He already knew...

falcongeorge likes this.
  28. RodStRace

RodStRace

29. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having a hemi might be cool. But building one is crazy money even if you get a deal on a block. I vend at a Chrysler show ever year. I have seen people get 1500.00 for rocker arms and stands, 650.00 for exhaust manifolds, 500.00 for re-buildable carb cores, 900.00 for a K-frame (yes it's different). Get the idea? Go the less expensive route of a 440-6 pack. They don't quite have the wow factor. But they will still fry the tires as long as you want.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Unless that was $3500 Cdn, why wouldn't you just buy a new one from BBM?