Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bonneville 1956: A Photo Treasure Trove

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 22, 2015.

1. bone31

bone31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from oregon

The engine is in Salem speed shop,Gleen still runs the shop usually open every day.It is the oldest speed shop in the world.

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, thank you for that, what a fantastic resource! Hope the public is welcome at Revs, will have to check it out next time I visit my mom in Naples, Fla.

Well, I am not surprised, Todd. There is not much you are not up on with regards the hot rodding world. :cool: I will leave it to you to do the Herda streamliner justice, but here is a teaser from the Hewitt collection. I got into it yesterday and could not get out!

Herda Streamliner5.jpg

HEMI32 likes this.
  3. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2015-12-26_9-10-37.png From John Dugdale collection at Revs Institute. Bonneville 1939.
    Railton Special

Stogy and dad-bud like this.
  5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2015-12-26_9-19-49.png Same as above

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2015-12-26_9-22-33.png Same

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2015-12-26_9-25-12.png Same

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know, I'm thinking "Bonneville 1939" pics are OK for a "Bonneville 1956" thread, since pics are from the same basic source. But what do I know?

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I grew up 20 minutes from this place. Remember going there in the 70s with my dad to get speed parts for his projects. It would take a few minutes to get what he needed. Then an hour or two of shooting the shit.
    I loved every minute of it.
    Went a couple times in the 80s. But at that time I was more into muscle cars. Then another 20 years went by before I swung in to visit Glenn.
    Had gotten my 41 Ford on the road and drove by to see if he was still around. He was and it was great to see him. Since we had not seen each other since I was a kid. He was happy that I had taken up the torch from my dad. But disappointed that I had decided to put a sbc in the old pickup. I understood he would have prefered that I had put a flathead in. Stung a little that he disapproved of that part of the build. But he liked it otherwise.

HEMI32 likes this.
  17. dad-bud

dad-bud

After many years of planning, checking when meets were scheduled and finding the cash to fund a trip, I made it to Bonneville last year to find the racing cancelled for another year, plus there was a huge deluge of rain that filled the flats into a very shallow salt lake. While it's a very long way from home, I will try to make it again someday - fingers crossed the salt dries out and compacts down enough for racing in the near future.
    We have a few dry salt lakes here in Oz - one of them, Lake Gairdner in South Australia is used by the Dry Lakes Racing Association (dlra.org.au) within VERY strict environmental restrictions to run each year. Naturally with Australia having only about 1/15th the population of the US, it's a fairly small meet, which means there's plenty of room for new visitors........?

18. i know this is an old thread, just looked at it while researching some info on the Sorrell. I found this quote and needed to set the record straight;
    Salem Speed is NOT the Oldest Speed Shop in the World - that title falls to Blair's Speed Shop in Pasadena CA. which pre dates Salem by 4 years. Speedway Motors in Nebraska likes to claim they are "America's Oldest Speed Shop" as well, but both Blair's and Salem came before them - they started in 52. Salem in '50 and Blair's in 1946. :)