Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gave away my Truck for Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dave plmley, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

My truck in my avatar was a father son project that my dad gave me 30 yrs ago. It has gone thru a lot of changes over the years to fit my taste. I have a 13 yr old that I will give it to when the time is right.

2. zjerry

zjerry

Nice looking truck.. My dad gave me his 1969 corvette when it was too much for him to drive.
    It is a 350 /350 hp 4speed trans., manual steering , no power brakes. user10568_pic7943_1294970621.jpg

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My daughter was never interested in my cars or drag racing, and over the years my wife has lost interest also. My plan was to leave my 56 Sedan Delivery to my nephew, but now my daughter has said she wants it. She'd been into imports and tuner cars, and not classic American iron. I'm still conflicted about if I should let her have it; I just don't want it to get torn up; she's never really taken care of things. But who knows, I may just sell it when I can no longer enjoy it to someone who truly would. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Now that's a Vette you HAVE to DRIVE! I drove a 1968, 427, 4 speed, non power steering/brakes, Vette around in a PARKING LOT once. I don't know if it was being so nervous, or actually difficult to drive, that made it seem hard to do (slow speed). 150 lb., 18 year old had something to do with it too. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. zjerry

zjerry

Yes it's fun to drive , I learned to drive a 4 speed with this corvette at age 16..Drove it to high school ..

7. Still having fun driving my 33 Chevy but we just updated our will so the car goes to my daughter. She got to drive it for the first time this summer. We want to keep it in the family and she agreed to give it to the grandchild that would enjoy it the most. Just want to see it stay in the family.

kiwijeff and olcurmdgeon like this.
  8. willymakeit

willymakeit

Doing the same with my 2 kids.

9. AmishMike

AmishMike

have an older vette - fixing nice for grandson # 1 & still driving on nice days. Newer project is for grandson # 2. Hope to turn over the keys in a few years & see their smile.

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding sir.God bless ya.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

11. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Fortunately, I have not been on either end of the "will" or "inheritance", but sure seems like you did your son & family a favor by not letting everyone get crazy later, disagree, & it ends up at auction, split 15 ways & gone.
    Good idea

12. Nice. I'm sure he'll let you borrow it if you do your chores.

13. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

the older I get, the less the "stuff" matters to me. Give it to someone who has more years to enjoy it. I do notice though that things I think are neat or special, are not always appreciated by the younger family. When health reasons forced us to sell our house and move into small apartment, most of our "valuable" stuff (sentimental in other words) ended up in yard sale or Salvation Army. But we did get a truckload of flathead/quickchange stuff to RonnieRoadster and my son got a lot of tools. Now trying to decide who gets the avatar in a couple of years when Miss Linda and I no longer are able to cruise.
    A smile, a good word, an unexpected act of kindness mean more these days to me than material possessions. So good for you, making your son's day with a great F-100.

kiwijeff, volvobrynk, 56don and 2 others like this.
  14. Great thing to do Dave!!!!
    There has been model T's in my Dad's garage my entire life ,Im 53
    My Dad no longer drives and signed all 3 of them as my inheretence
    to me last summer, now I pick him up to go to cruises and swaps
    and spend time with him IMG_4704_1.JPG 20150705_193635.jpg IMG_5750.JPG IMG_4704_1.JPG 20150705_193635.jpg IMG_5750.JPG

kiwijeff, Fedman, TFoch and 1 other person like this.
  15. My youngest granddaughter might end up with my old beater sedan.

Veda has been riding in Deuces since she was born. HRP

[​IMG]

12386474171.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    traffic61, ct1932ford and volvobrynk like this.
  16. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 1950 Stude pickup that my Favorite uncle gave me almost 40 years ago. He had got it for nothing in the 60's sold it, and the guy he sold it to gave it back to him a few years later.
    My Dad helped me rebuild the motor in the 80s a good learning experience. I Drive it a lot and I might give it to my uncle's grandson as he has expressed interest in it. I guess we are all just caretakers.

17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'll be 71 shortly and by summers end will have 5 deuces in the garage. I'm thinking it's time to get rid of the most expensive ones and keep the low buckers for my wife to give to my kids when I'm gone, although they don't seem to have much of an interest in old cars?

18. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Now, that is awesome!....my dad gave me my first rod...handed me ''the keys'' with a grin... I was totally caught off-guard...one of the few times I cried uncontrollably in front of my dad like a blubbering fool....things like this gesture makes me smile.....''well done!;)''

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

Nice!! I gave a Model A to my Daughter and a Z-28 Camero to my son for the very same reason.

I would recommend everyone consider doing the same thing. They get to enjoy the cars with their families....and we get to enjoy seeing that as well. The grandkids are involved as well. Who could ask for more.

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Very thoughtful Merry Christmas!

21. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

The first time my pawpaw raced this car was in 1983, I was 6 months old. I grew up with this car, when it was getting to much to handle (a high winding small block and a 4spd.) I took over driving duties about 5 years ago. I have been spending some money on it updating and making it safer to race.
    [​IMG]
    Last Friday at my 33 birthday dinner he gave me the title. I cried like a baby and that old man got the biggest longest hug I have ever given him.

traffic61, flamingokid and Fedman like this.
  22. Ive learned that wills and promises only lead to fights and bickering after someone dies. All my wife ever received from her parents estate was heartache and grief. Her daddy gave her his 66 chevy truck 7 years before he died. And the family thought she should return it. Then when My folks passed my family was worse. So I say give it to whoever you want now. don't wait do it now. Even your home deed it to who you want to have it and keep a life estate. When your gone its theirs no debate no probate no hassle. Ive gave my sons cars & trucks , tools , land ,guns ect. now when they are still young enough to do something with it. And their aint any strings attached it theirs to do with as they wish. A gift with strings attached isn't any gift at all.

23. flamingokid

flamingokid

After having been through 2 bouts of cancer,both of which I was told I would never make it,I have a different outlook on "stuff".If somebody in the family is in love with said item and is responsible,give it to them so they can enjoy it.If not ,get a good price for it and give the money to your heirs or to medical research.But don't let your cars rot away because you can't drive them anymore,that's a low down dirty shame.

traffic61 and mediumriser like this.
  24. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

no doubt. a great thing to do.

25. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

Way to go Dave..you're a good guy and a great dad!

26. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I hope my son is paying attention when I point to something here and say..Thats a blah blah blah, when I croak dont sell it cheap.Ive already told him the shop is all his when I go.
    What Ive found from going to sales and getting a first peak at stuff is that people save all this stuff and no one in the family knows what the hell it is. And then the task of trying to sell or even move a huge amount of stuff. I go to estate sales all the time.I love the hoarder guys but you know that will be me when I die.There,s alot of food for thought in this thread. Maybe time to lighter the load