Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My '55 Chevy Project...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrGasser, Dec 21, 2015.

1. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

...all I have to do is weld it back together, right?

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      380.3 KB
      Views:
    kiwijeff, Max Gearhead and low budget like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

oh man... and maybe put a floor in it while you have the welder out!! that is a pretty ambitious project there

MrGasser likes this.
  3. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Mark, I have a plan!

Moriarity likes this.
  4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Watching.

MrGasser likes this.

5. abner36

abner36

k, lets hear the plan. waiting and watching :)

MrGasser likes this.
  6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Lemme guess.....ran when parked? Haha! You'll make it right.

MrGasser likes this.
  7. Pretty sure it'll buff out.

MrGasser likes this.
  8. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

...some of the parts so far, fiberglass & aluminum...

Attached Files:

9. partssaloon

partssaloon

A boat motor plate?

10. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Yes...Edelbrock big block Chevy...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I have seen completely home built floors,some that are completely aluminum in race cars etc.
    also seen tri fives draped onto chevy caprice etc. floors and running gear, not that I would want to do a tri five that way but I have seen it and it is possible.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  12. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Kinda reminds me of an old Revell multi-piece body model kit.

I'm intrigued.

13. good luck, I know you can do it!

14. Ghost28

Ghost28

I guess they are getting hard to find. I think I would attempt it

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Well have you got it together yet?:)

16. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Not sure but I think you might be missing some pieces there :D

17. Of course its a viable project. its a 55 chevy. Ive got a few that are not much better. 347.jpg

kidcampbell71, kiwijeff and MrGasser like this.
  18. FLATROCKER

FLATROCKER
    from nw ohio

Let me guess, ummmmmm, 55 Gasser ??????????

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

another "easy & cheap"

20. stronga

stronga

I look forward to more posts.

21. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Still gathering parts...this is gonna be a (very low) budget build, mostly based on parts I've collected over the years, and stuff I've traded for...alot along the lines of scoggman's Tetanus Tornado build...

...I want to ask you guy's, how do you figure the amount of money you have into a project?
    If you purchase something new, its easy, but, do you count parts that were given to you for free?...what about parts that you traded for, where you had very little in your own parts, and traded for something that has a higher market value?

...Example: I traded a free front fender, a pair of free chrome valve covers, and a pair of wheels that I had $40 into, for my fiberglass frontend, which is probably worth several hundred dollars...when adding up the amount of cash I have into the whole project, would you count the above example as $40, (the actual amount I have into the frontend), or, the several hundred that I could sell it for?

Also, the '55 itself was free too, a guy I bought some wheels from was going to scrap it, and he cut it apart like that to make it easier to transport, I just happened to be there before he actually trucked it away, and when I asked about it, he told me I could have it, if I got it out of his yard...
    It came with doors, a front clip, & deck lid...no floors or chassis...it cost me $25 to get a title, (this was back in the early '80's), so, I just figure I have $25 into the body...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Wow, this is going to be great, imagine showing people pics of what you started with, after the build is done.
    As they say here, "pics, or it didn't happen".
    Even then, some people still won't believe it. :D:cool:

MrGasser likes this.
  23. abner36

abner36

I always figure how much I actually have into the part if the car was free and the title was $ 25.00 then you got $ 25.00 into the car people can make unrealistic prices of what stuff could be worth. just my 2 cents. besides knowing you got little out of pocket into a cool ride is pretty cool :cool:

MrGasser likes this.
  24. Boatmark

Boatmark

I've found it a much better practice to NEVER tally up monies spent on Hot Rod or Boat projects. Prevents cardiac arrest, and does not provide ammunition to significant others to use in a pissed off state. :-0

MrGasser likes this.
  25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I don't know if you're currently on Prozac or not, but if not, by the time you finish this, you will be (tongue-in-cheek). It's just a model car, only jumbo sized, right? If you have the skill, time, tools, dedication, and $$$, then go for it. I'd say start with a "more complete car", and use this one for parts. I'm a die hard Tri-Five Chevrolet guy, and I would't even think about attempting it. I know a lot of the 20's-30's rod guys, start with almost nothing, so why not a Tri-Five Chevrolet; maybe even a 4 to 2 door conversion with the parts? Keep us all posted! And, you did't include your TIME/LABOR in your budget concerns! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

MrGasser likes this.
  26. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Butch, I've saved several '20's-'30's-'40's cars with not a lot more than this '55, I'm not afraid of it...and I actually have a couple decent '57 2-door sedan quarters & doors I've been saving to do a conversion, as soon as I find a deserving 4-door!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. I did get the 56 setting on a frame that's a roller. and I still have a 55 shell 55 &56 chevy 001.JPG 55 &56 chevy 002.JPG

MrGasser likes this.
  28. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

I like that '55!

29. mike bowling

mike bowling

Great project- save that car! ( "all the hard work's done"- great sales pitch, HaHa)

On my own stuff, I figure the amount I have into something by keeping track of all receipts until they add up to an amount that makes me question my sanity. Problem is, by the time you're in that deep you've already set a precident as far as build finish specs. ( beater, driver, nice paint, interior, etc.) and it's too late to reverse engines. So you either sell it as a project and get burnt beyond recognition, or you eat peanut butter and jelly for a year or so and finish the damn thing. Easy choice ( I hate peanut butter, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do). And stop adding up the cost- it is what it is. ( but of course keep your receipts).

Time for labor is out of the equation unless you can factor in all the hours chasing down parts, fixing broken shit that was "a deal", and all the gas and crappy food you eat on the road. Cold pizza and Dunkin' Donuts at 3:30 am; "Only 3 more hours and we'll be loading those parts from East Bumfuck and heading back" ( 12 more hours- return run). Tumms, anyone?

But it's worth it when it's fired up and you go for the maiden voyage. Like they say in those ads "Priceless!"
    Keep posting, and best of luck with it.

MrGasser likes this.