Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 buick foot starter button

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by barry smith, Oct 13, 2012.

1. barry smith

barry smith
    from Houston

I think the foot starter button or switch is going bad, sometimes it will work and sometimes it does not do anything.

ALL LIGHTS, HORN, BLIKERS WORK.

Where is this button located, I looked for it from the top of drivers side in the engine compartment but did not see anything, is it underneeth the car?

Thanks

2. liljonny

liljonny
    from menifee,ca

If I'm not mistaken, the pedal is hooked to the accelerator linkage,bellcrank or whatever, and its when u push the pedal down it completes the circuit which is on the carb. I don't remember all part names but my 53 had a gas pedal start. Check for loose wires.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Switch should be on carb. Get thee a MOTOR'S manual that cover the year of your car!!!

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

yes, the switch is on the carb.

I LOVE this setup. When you have a hard-starting car, or one that sits a while it is so easy to start them. Turn on the key, open the hood, squirt some gas in the carb and tug on the linkage.

I bet you just need to do some adjusting.

5. barry smith

barry smith
    from Houston

The car has been starting just fine, I see a switch on carb with 2 wires on it, is this it?

It looks like that is hooked up to the choke?

will do some more inspecting tomarrow.

so ther is no button under the accelerator pedal?

Thanks!

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

just the throttle linkage that accuates the carburetor mounted switch that powers the solenoid.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes...that's the starter switch. It's hooked to the throttle linkage and a vacuum source. It's designed not to work once the engine is running and producing vacuum...a safety feature. Check your contacts, wires and vaccuum source. No wires under the pedal. The pedal actuates the linkage, the linkage actuates the switch on the carb.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Also check the interior of the switch for dirt/corrosion. If I recall correctly, there is a metal ball in the switch chamber that makes electrical contact.......like all electric switches, it needs to be clean, and so do the contacts it connects.

Ray

9. barry smith

barry smith
    from Houston

Will check the sugested coments from above:cool: and post findings, Thanks for the input!

10. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I had a problem with my '50 Roadmaster. There is a light ball in the switch which makes contact with the engine off and lets the starter turn. Once started the engine vacuum
    sucks the ball off the contacs and stops the starter motor. The chamber of the switch gets carbon and crap in it and the ball hangs up. If the starter won't engage tAP the switch and the ball should fall and make contact.

11. barry smith

barry smith
    from Houston

ok, that is exactly what is wrong, carbon build up.

THANKS!

12. lurking luddite

lurking luddite

If you have any more trouble and it is not the carb switch, there is a switch on the firewall above the battery that looks like a horn relay. It is a secondary switch that senses voltage from the generator when the engine starts and cuts voltage to the starter. This one gave me trouble on my 1951 Special. They are hard to find these days. Good luck.

13. BJR

BJR

Here's the wiring diagram for the Buick foot starter switch.

Attached Files:

14. classiccarlover

classiccarlover

Hey guys I have a 57 special. Whats the switch unit down at the bottom of the firewall just above the frame? I know of the linkage hooked up to the carb but whats the lower switch unit? thanks guys. Hey; Is the foot pedal stater system dependale enough for a daily driver of today or is it wiser to go to the regular dash panel ignition system? thanks guys

15. BJR

BJR

The switch you see by the pedals may be the brake light switch. Keep the foot starter, it has worked for over 50 years.

16. RIBONES

RIBONES
    from DAGO ca

I shoulda kept mine.