Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

To me these cars are what made drag racing popular in the first place.
    What we have today is much different from back in the 60's

Just my opinion.
    Jimbo

volvobrynk, willys41 and Quain Stott like this.
  2. elgringo71

elgringo71

The Moonlighter in Atlanta in 1965 image.jpg

3. Grate thread I have just finished it
    I have been with a bunch of old Fremont Gassers long time ago
    I enjoyed with helping each other racers

9sectruck and Quain Stott like this.
  4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Glad you enjoyed it Jandlcars. Some of the pics got screwed up when the hamb changed a while back and I haven't had time to fix them all. Last time I looked this thread has had over 450,000 views. Almost 1/2 million that should let Gene Cromer know he hasn't been forgot about after all these years.

5. Quain,I have said it before and I will say it again,thank you for taking the initiative to seek out Gene and convince him to allow you,and countless others to resurrect the Moonlighter to it's former glory.

Gene,Ruth and the entire Cromer family are the salt of the earth and seeing Gene drive The Moonlighter again excites me more today than when I was watching him when I was in my teens. HRP

6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

It has been good Hotrodprimer. I was only about 9 or 10 years old back then but he was one of my hero's. Like you said watching him now could be even better than back then, and to think I almost didn't do the build thread on Gene because I didn't think I wouldn't have the time. glad i did so the whole world can enjoy our hero.

7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I wasn't a fan, I'm not old enough to remember Gene or the Moonlighter, but I really enjoyed reading your build thread. Now I'm a fan, and regret that I couldn't have seen him back in the day. So thank you for doing this.

8. sbs

sbs

I was fortunate to see Gene and the Willys run and win for the 1st time in May, 1965. I still get excited when I see "wheels up" off the line with that blue coupe.

9. OldColt

OldColt

Updates? Tunnel Port engine still coming along?

--- Steve ---

10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I spent the better part of this weekend going through this thread.... WOW !... Lots of great people involved .... Makes a guy want to move to South Carolina !

Thanks to Quain for getting the ball rolling and Gene for running with it.. Great story ! Glad to see all Gene's tools and Equipment not collecting dust again too!

11. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Glad you enjoyed the thread, It's really been good for Gene and brought a lot of old friends back together. Last time I looked it has had almost 500,000 views.

12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

It really is a pretty special thing all you guys have done!

I hope to make it to your area this year and maybe catch a race too..

9sectruck, Quain Stott and elgringo71 like this.
  13. I don't want to speak for Gene, but know that the tunnel port is getting worked on, and the intention is to put a little more "quick step" into The Moon Lighter.

14. dmorago

dmorago

Ah, the days of 4-speeds, hitting all gears and 8500rpms through the lights. This is from Lions at Long Beach.
    upload_2015-12-27_18-4-41.jpeg

Jeffv8, catdad49, tomkelly88 and 4 others like this.
  15. Any new t-shirts available? I'd love to pick one up in Byron.;)

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Chucky I'm sorry to report that the Southeast Gassers are not going to be able to make the trip to Byron this year. We have been booked at too many tracks down this way and just not enough time in one year to make it all happen. We sure have enjoyed the Byron show for the last 3 years.

loudbang likes this.
  17. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Say it isn't so. Quain your southeast Gassers are great. Glad we were able to see them the last 2 yrs

18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

It was a tough decision but there is just too much going on then on top of all that I signed a contract to tune a pro mod again this year to try and make some extra money to keep the SEG going. Need sponsorship bad it's killing me.

loudbang likes this.
  19. My "fund raiser" offer stands. I know it's not the same as a sponsor, but I'm needing a southeast gasser t-shirt. Start a new thread if you so decide. I'll buy 2 or 3.:cool:

20. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Will you be at the PDRA race in Tulsa next week?

21. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I will add the south east gassers to my list. If I win the lottery. If I would have been born wealthy instead of good looking I would throw money at the organization. You guys have a great thing going. Looks like I will have to take the family east to see you run again, no big deal.

Quain Stott likes this.
  22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Not going to make that one Junior stock. I'm tuning for a pro mod team in IHRA this year.

23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

PM me and we can talk about the details. We have shirts now.

Higgy's Henry likes this.
  24. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Gene has been busy working on the new engine and getting the Moonlighter ready for the 1st. race of the season. We would like to thank Ric Panneton and all the fine folks at CP - Carrillo for their help with the rods, pistons and rings. Their generous donation helps make this new engine possible. This engine won't be ready for the first race. Gene wants to make a few more runs with the old engine to see what he can get out of it. The new one should be in the Moonlighter by mid-season. DSC05083.JPG DSC05065.JPG DSC05054.JPG DSC05067.JPG DSC05085.JPG

Spoggie, AHotRod, mgtstumpy and 17 others like this.
  25. Love the copper water cross over pipe!

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like you could throw a cat through them ports.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Man, I came around the corner and saw them ports, and thought the same thing!

I can't remember the ad, I think it may have been NASCAR, but it goes something like:
    "We'll sell you the whole seat; but you'll only need the edge".
    This Willis is just about the coolest one on the nostalgia drag scene, and those blue painted five spokes are icing on the cake.
    Tell Gene we hope he's enjoying the ride as much as we are.

volvobrynk, loudbang and Frank Taylor like this.
  28. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Gene painted the spokes blue back in the 60's. The rear wheels are the same wheels Gene ran on the car back in the 60's. The fronts are not the originals, but are real magnesium like the originals. They keep Gene busy polishing to make them look that good.

29. Bout sprayed my keyboard on that one Salty!

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  30. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Maybe a kitten.... DSC04022.JPG

BHoover, OahuEli, Spoggie and 10 others like this.