Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A steering what are you using.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdluck, Aug 23, 2015.

1. sdluck

sdluck

I don't think have room for cross steering,what else are you guys running in your model A roadster for steering and steering column.Stock frame small block chevy hurst mounts,,buggy spring Thanks guys

2. b-bob

b-bob

Vega box with a 39 column and wheel. No problem.

3. FJ box,and homemade column per the HAMB. 61 Pontiac wheel.

4. 117harv

117harv

F-1 box and traditional side steer.

Rod Ari likes this.

5. Currently using VW box. Early Mustang works nice too.

6. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

Mustang push pull / side steer in mine works a treat

Google pete and jakes side steer for pics

7. '57 Chevy 1/2 ton truck box and column .... guess this just shows you that many set-ups will work.

8. sodakmini

sodakmini

Side or cross steer?

9. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

F-100 box and cut down column from 54 1/2 ton truck. Box is a bit large but with tons of measurements and "tuned up" mounting flange, it works great

10. My Model A uses a F100 box from '56 mounted in original location, side steer. Shaft is cut off at top and a Studebaker stub is welded on with a heavy wall tube inside as reinforcement. Stub is, of course, for adapting the chosen steering wheel and to get the column to a proper length. The '56 Ford PU box was commonly used in the '60s for Model A hot rods.

I have a Gemmer cross steering box from a '39 Packard that I am considering for my next Model A build, using a deeper deuce frame rail. I am uncertain of the clearance issues at this time, but suspect it should be similar to that of using '40ish Ford cross steering, as has been successfully used by others. Motor will be an early 392 hemi, but exhaust will be over the rails, eliminating that source of clearance issues.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  11. 2935ford

2935ford

Vega box cross steering........as good as power steering. '35 Steering wheel.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  12. OK, I'll be the dork, pictures?

13. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Vega, cross steer, Speedway simple column with removable steering wheel. Makes it harder to steal at motel with wheel in my room.

Atwater Mike and Donald A. Smith like this.
  14. Land Rover box and column in side steer. You'll need a RHD one to get LHD. Neat in finned aluminium and cheap as chips to rebuild. Can be used with the banjo wheel from virtually any old British car e.g. Morris Minor.

15. Used A 66 Mustang box and column. This was some 30 yrs ago. Bought a pitman arm from total performance at the time but i'm sure they are available. 7 (Medium).jpg 3 (Medium).jpg

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

'68 Mustang box- sorry pics kinda suck- box was $125.- nice and tight
    Pitman arm has to be cut and the top reversed ( so it bends out instead of in).
    It's a tapered and keyed spline so that's the only way to make the stock arm work. I angled the shit out of the cut, and had a certified welder finish it after I fitted and tacked it.

Attached Files:

17. 40 Ford box cross-steer, I like it!!
    DSCN9129.JPG DSCN9451.JPG

18. Rebuilt RHD standard steering box with a few custom mods ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450573824.796438.jpg
    It's all Model A to the end of the drag link and all F1 Ford from then on. No aftermarket parts ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450573945.144000.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450574199.159538.jpg

19. Early mustang - but get the 67 and later with 1-1/4" sector, not the earlier 1" sector, because you can get a wider variety of aftermarket pitman arms. Don't ask me how I know. Also, make your own column, get some Borgeson joints - I recommend the 3/4" double D on both ends for simplicity - and rob a few Ford steering columns and wheels, then get that chop saw out and make it fit. I even made my own tilt column, and I don't have a mill or anything else in precision machinery.